Martial arts journeys, and finding your "own" style...whats next for me?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that perfect is the enemy of good enough. Everyone goes through cycles in their training. Some seasons (using the term really loosly, not calendar-ish) you are really, really into what the class and the instructor is doing, others not so much, but you train. Some days you hurt, and you don't want to go, not really.... but you train, and you feel the better for it. Some days you are the absolute best one n the class, and you are completely unchallenged, but you train... and you help another person with their observing your physical example - sometimes without you even being aware of them doing so.

The training, in whatever, is "the thing." The perfect system may be out there, or it may not. It may be that to find it you'd need to travel to Okinawa, or Tibet, or Montgomery, Alabama... and you won't know. But, you can train, and in so doing learn more about yourself and make what you are doing your own.

That's all I got.

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel lost, for sure. It's kind of like when you want to find a romantic partner: what if there really is NO ONE that lives around you who would be a good fit for you? The same might be true of martial arts: there might not be a school in your are for the style that would fit you like a glove.
This is true. I only found one school that was truly a great fit....but due to traveling and cost of it, make it damn near impossible for me to make it there anymore...I also feel like I need a clean slate, that I need to "start again" so that is part of the reason why i'm looking for another school. I Found one I think might be a great match on paper, but I feel the guy is fraud, and I'm not sure how to prove it

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
Keep in mind that perfect is the enemy of good enough. Everyone goes through cycles in their training. Some seasons (using the term really loosly, not calendar-ish) you are really, really into what the class and the instructor is doing, others not so much, but you train. Some days you hurt, and you don't want to go, not really.... but you train, and you feel the better for it. Some days you are the absolute best one n the class, and you are completely unchallenged, but you train... and you help another person with their observing your physical example - sometimes without you even being aware of them doing so.

The training, in whatever, is "the thing." The perfect system may be out there, or it may not. It may be that to find it you'd need to travel to Okinawa, or Tibet, or Montgomery, Alabama... and you won't know. But, you can train, and in so doing learn more about yourself and make what you are doing your own.

That's all I got.
That's well said. That's all I can do. Train, learn, and grow...keep growing as a person and a martial artist. It will all come together eventually.

Reactions: JP3

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is true. I only found one school that was truly a great fit....but due to traveling and cost of it, make it damn near impossible for me to make it there anymore...I also feel like I need a clean slate, that I need to "start again" so that is part of the reason why i'm looking for another school. I Found one I think might be a great match on paper, but I feel the guy is fraud, and I'm not sure how to prove it

How so?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It strikes me that folks who have completed the 100 man kumite are probably listed somewhere...

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
It strikes me that folks who have completed the 100 man kumite are probably listed somewhere...
Right...and he's not listed anywhere...thats why i'm calling BS

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hehe I found this from your recent Enshin thread, sounds like we're on fairly similar journeys! (Even though this was a year ago)

Currently doing a martial arts 'soul-searching' and trying out different styles to see what my heart leaps out at... it's so hard sometimes to figure out when it's your heart or just a logical and conceptual "ah yeah that should suit me" which is just coming from the head...

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
You have to find one you really like. There are hard styles, moving in straight lines and then there are ones that move in a circular pattern like kung fu.
At age 26 I begin checking them all out. I would go to demos and read about them and just think how I would like it.
Here's one thing, I would try to learn one or two moves from a martial art and practice it. I would also if possible, attend demos on an art.
I had to also factor in my size. I am 5'2" and slim.
Keep in mind that not all martial art instructors are the same. Some are actually bullies while others are very personable.
I actually stopped looking an art after many months. Then one day walking on the sidewalk, on an errand, I heard loud noises that stopped me. Loud noses came from a door that led down a hallway where two students were yelling with fast strikes. I was mesmerized. They were using straight and curved lines, as they practiced with each other. After that, I began my lessons and never stopped.
Also make sure that your Sifu (instructor) doesn't think that he is better than anyone else. I was lucky to have been taught by Al Tracy, of Tracy Kenpo.
You will know when you have found your art, just keep your eyes, and ears open and keep looking!
Sifu

Latest Discussions