Martial arts effects on mental health

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at it, but did not fill it out. Pure 100% subjective studies are not science. Not even remotely. And this is a poor example even of the sort of pseudo-science typical of the genre.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I looked at it, but did not fill it out. Pure 100% subjective studies are not science. Not even remotely. And this is a poor example even of the sort of pseudo-science typical of the genre.
Making a broad distinction between "subjective" and "objective" studies isn't scientific. To be scientific, one must look deeper.

This type of study is called a "self-report" study, and their validity can be improved by the use of other measures in the study, as well as careful phrasing of the questions to attempt to avoid bias.

... and a good self-report study acknowledges limitations of the study, and suggests ways of improving validity in the future.

I'd add that this looks like a survey, rather than a study conducted by an academic institution, since it doesn't include the usual informed consent form.

I wouldn't get into a twist over it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi! I’m doing a study on the effects of combat sports/martial arts on mental health. If you could fill out this really quick survey it’d really help me out. Thanks!
I filled out your survey. But I'd like to explain some of my answers. When asked if fight competition helped me in the ways asked, I answered NO. Because it wasn't the competition that did anything, it was the every day training in the dojo that DID do everything.

Big difference. I hoped this helped.

Latest Discussions