MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought this was interesting.

http://www.courant.com/health/hc-marijuana-study0608-20100607,0,5406069.story

"HARTFORD — —
Marijuana use had little effect on simulated driving skills, according to a Hartford Hospital study, but test subjects were more easily distracted when under the influence of the drug.

Investigators from Hartford Hospital and the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine assessed the simulated driving performance of 50 male and 35 female subjects in a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. All 85 subjects reported having used marijuana from one to 10 times per month previously.

The study was published in the March issue of the Journal of Psychoactive Drugs."

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No more road rage

Driver 1: Dude, like, you totally cut me off man.

Driver 2: Dude, I know, it was like so cool ya know. Like it looked like you were flying at me, not driving, dude.

and drive through fast food sales would SKY ROCKET!

LMAO!

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do we really need a study?

I agree, but look at it this way...if they didn't do a study, then there'd probably be alot of people with nothing to do. Its called job security. :D

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Where do I get on that study gravy train.

I want to do a study on whether studies are required.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad they did a study. When the referendum to decriminalize marijuana came up in Mass., I was not able to vote for it (no longer a resident) but was asking people in debates online....what effect does this have on driving? Its not like cops carry "weed-a-lyzers" to determine how stoned the motorist is, it comes down to the officer's judgment as to whether they are impaired or not. (Hmmm...I seem to recall a thread on that recently...)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can state with 100% assurance that the results of the study are complete crap. People who are stoned cannot drive worth a damn; they're worse than drunks. I've even seen them forget they were driving, just zoning out on whatever. I've dealt with too many accidents and too many dead bodies.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This thread's gonna get so funny in a couple hours. Hell, MJS's impression of stoners driving is already gold.

I am waiting for the Youtube clips from "Up in Smoke."

Officer: "Can I see your license?"

Cheech: "Uh, it's on the back of the car, man."

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah but c'mon....do you really want to be driving along the interstate and come up on a car doing 40 in the left lane because the driver's fascinated with the lane dividers? :D

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I could not tell the last time I smoked, more than a year definatly. But I would never have even dreamed of driving. Just like I won't drive if I've even had a beer. It's just better to be safe than sorry.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Other than waiting countless minutes for the stop sighn to turn green, the drug will have no bad effect on normal driving situations. It is when you suddenly think outside the box that the problems occur. It simply makes you slower in emergency situations.
Sean

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Other than waiting countless minutes for the stop sighn to turn green

Ok, I laughed aloud when I read this. Good thing the boss is out of the office. :D

It simply makes you slower in emergency situations.
Sean

I think this is kinda the main concern. "Dude, what's with all the flashing lights up ahead? Man....*wham!*...Awe, is that a paramedic on the car hood? Bummer...."

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
People who are high fail the same Standardized Field Sobriety Tests that a person who has a BAC greater than .10 does, in much the same manner. Their time sense may be distorted differently, so that counting to 30 seconds takes about 2... or 2 minutes. They're balance may not be effected -- but their ability to balance AND follow directions or perform specific tasks is.

A Driving Under the Influence charge in Virginia means that the defendant operated a motor vehicle, train, or engine (motor vehicle as defined by code... which includes cars, trucks, motorcycles, and mopeds) with a Blood Alcohol Content in excess of .08 g/210 l breath or .08% weight by volume, "while such a person is under the influence of alcohol" (generally, this means demonstrating impairment or intoxication by conduct or test performance without a BAC result), while under the influence of any self administered drug or intoxicant, including prescribed meds, or impaired by any combination of the above, or with specific levels of certain drugs in their blood.

What that amounts to is simple: if I, by testimony which may or may not be supported by video in this day and age, can show that the driver's ability to operate a motor vehicle on the highways (or on private property) was impaired, I can get a warrant and subsequently, a judge can find the person guilty. It rests on my testimony and credibility, though. If I just say "that dude was baked! He was messed up, man!", I probably won't get a warrant, let alone a conviction. But if my testimony is to the effect that I observed specific behavior (maybe stopping at a green light, or failing to maintain a proper line of travel, and so on), as well as describing the problems performing the SFSTs that resemble those of a drunk -- then there's a good chance that I'll walk out of court with another conviction.

Latest Discussions