Mantis Kung Fu

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been looking into this more so recently. Thoughts on it? Anyone want to share techniques or training?

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Found some interesting techniques although the needle hand looks almost the exact same as the regular Mantis Claw it all sounds really cool

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211222-111654_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20211222-111654_Drive.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20230513_041745_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230513_041745_Gallery.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20230513_041740_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230513_041740_Gallery.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20230513_041734_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230513_041734_Gallery.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 32
OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Would love to see this book even if it's just a link for it. I can't seem to find it.

Grandmaster Ip Shui published his famous book "Mantis Boxing Basic Techniques

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230513_042342_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230513_042342_Chrome.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 29

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Praying mantis technique 101 - Mo Pan Shou (switch hands).

You know, this second sequence you demonstrate is pretty close to a throw I've practiced in Wing Chun. I watched the gif repeating over and over. Almost hypnotic. What if you actually trained that way?

I notice that it takes about three seconds from beginning to end. That means that, for training purposes, you could have a line of attackers stepping in and punching one after another, and you could could easily repeat the whole sequence every five seconds in practice.

OK that's 20 throws a minute, right? A ten minute set = 200 reps. Take a one minute break, and repeat for five sets, taking a total of 55 minutes.

...If I've got this right in my head, that's 1,000 throws in less than an hour. Hmmmm. That's a training challenge I'd like to try! :D

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know, this second sequence you demonstrate is pretty close to a throw I've practiced in Wing Chun. I watched the gif repeating over and over. Almost hypnotic. What if you actually trained that way?

I notice that it takes about three seconds from beginning to end. That means that, for training purposes, you could have a line of attackers stepping in and punching one after another, and you could could easily repeat the whole sequence every five seconds in practice.

OK that's 20 throws a minute, right? A ten minute set = 200 reps. Take a one minute break, and repeat for five sets, taking a total of 55 minutes.

...If I've got this right in my head, that's 1,000 throws in less than an hour. Hmmmm. That's a training challenge I'd like to try! :D
If we compare "front cut" to wrestling "single leg", the "front cut" is more effective than the "single leg". Instead of using your hands to reach to your opponent's leading leg, you let your

- hands to do your hand work, and
- leg to do your leg work.

That 3 moves combo "switch hands" is part of the praying mantis 8 moves combo. It's one of my favor speed trainings.

This clip is in normal speed.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would love to see this book even if it's just a link for it. I can't seem to find it.

Grandmaster Ip Shui published his famous book "Mantis Boxing Basic Techniques

Chow Gar Tong Long is a part of our system. We practice Sarm Bo Jin form as one of our foundational exercises.

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Wow thats a good way to think of it. In one of the classes I took we would do this but with self defense not as rapid fire as you mentioned but honestly I love the idea. Repeating it so many times against varying people of build, speed, etc is good to really get a technique down.

Although I do wonder how it would work with reaction time since our body may start to feel a pattern than actually just react but either way it's got potential

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chow Gar Tong Long is a part of our system. We practice Sarm Bo Jin form as one of our foundational exercises.
That's really cool. I've wanted to learn it as I enjoy the Mantis system itself.

As for that book I can't seem to find anything on it but in this article that mentions it

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ginger fist and single knuckle should be there as well, they are part of the first form.
I'm not sure if I saw Ginger Fist the single Knuckle should be in there. I'll post the rest of the hand techniques in the book.

I'm guessing Needle fist is basically a slightly different Mantis Claw?

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hand techniques from the book. Looks like Pheonix eye is in there. Some other basic ones as well

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230514_150022_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230514_150022_Drive.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20230514_150028_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230514_150028_Drive.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20230514_150034_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230514_150034_Drive.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230514_150044_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230514_150044_Drive.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20230514_150049_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230514_150049_Drive.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thats cool! I've mainly seen alot of Southern Mantis but I think both are cool. I only know the difference being Southern seems to be "hard/external style" and Northern "Internal/soft" are there any other differences?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thats cool! I've mainly seen alot of Southern Mantis but I think both are cool. I only know the difference being Southern seems to be "hard/external style" and Northern "Internal/soft" are there any other differences?
I know nothing about the southern praying mantis.

What I like about the northern PM is "a punch can be a punch followed by a pull". This concept can be a good bridge between the striking art and the throwing art.

- You throw a punch.
- Your opponent blocks your punch.
- You pull his blocking arm and obtain a clinch.

It's so simple and straight forward.

Last edited:
OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know nothing about the southern praying mantis.

What I like about the northern PM is "a punch can be a punch followed by a pull". This concept can be a good bridge between the striking art and the throwing art.

- You throw a punch.
- Your opponent blocks your punch.
- You pull his blocking arm and obtain a clinch.

It's so simple and straight forward.
That's really cool. It makes sense with how the mantis would fight I suppose. It almost sounds like springy Jin/Jing if you then counter after pulling him in if I'm right with how that could work

I'll have to give this a try. Do they use any other cool tactics? I'm not sure of any particular ones in Southern Mantis as I've only read a bit about it.

This is a pretty good video on it

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do they use any other cool tactics?
In that 8 moves combo video, the 4th and 5th moves are:

When you left hand control your opponent's right arm and strike him with your right hand. if he blocks with his left hand, you can release your left hand, use your left hand to grab/pull his left arm to jam his own right arm. This will free your right hand again to attack.

In other words, the PM system is to use "fast hand striking combo" to confuse your opponent and achieve your goal. A lot of fake moves and cheating involve here.

- In boxing, a punch is just a punch.
- In PM, a punch can be just a bait.

In this video, his 1st right punch can be a

- punch (if his opponent doesn't block it).
- bait for his opponent's left arm.

Last edited:
OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In that 8 moves combo video, the 4th and 5th moves are:

When you left hand control your opponent's right arm and strike him with your right hand. if he blocks with his left hand, you can release your left hand, use your left hand to grab/pull his left arm to jam his own right arm. This will free your right hand again to attack.

In other words, the PM system is to use "fast hand striking combo" to confuse your opponent and achieve your goal. A lot of fake moves and cheating involve here.

- In boxing, a punch is just a punch.
- In PM, a punch can be just a bait.

That's very cool! It makes sense Mantis seems to have some similarities to Wing Chun.
It being almost a direct call from the Mantis itself reminds me of a snake tactic being using grabbing is like non poisioness snakes that coil around their prey and that striking nerve points is like a poisionness snake bitting

I know it isn't a tactic but. Jin but seems like Southern Mantis uses alot of Short power. I think when used in a block they called it shocking power.

Latest Discussions