Manny Pacquiao's success is from Bruce Lee

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Manny maybe be inspired by Bruce Lee, but he doesn't fight anything like him. Manny's stance is that of a modern gloved boxer, Bruce Lee's stance was more of a bare knuckle boxer/fencer with strong side forward, Manny fights strong side back.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny maybe be inspired by Bruce Lee, but he doesn't fight anything like him. Manny's stance is that of a modern gloved boxer, Bruce Lee's stance was more of a bare knuckle boxer/fencer with strong side forward, Manny fights strong side back.
I don't thing he is comparing Bruce's actual techniques but rather his philosophy. Bruce was all about broken rhythem and percise foot work. Manny is dead on in that aspect. Plus Bruce was all about adapting and changing. Manny again is dead on in that aspect. You are who you are and what works technique wise for you may not for someone else, but you can take the concept of a philosophy and make it work for your style of technique. That is what Manny did in my opinon.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't thing he is comparing Bruce's actual techniques but rather his philosophy. Bruce was all about broken rhythem and percise foot work. Manny is dead on in that aspect. Plus Bruce was all about adapting and changing. Manny again is dead on in that aspect. You are who you are and what works technique wise for you may not for someone else, but you can take the concept of a philosophy and make it work for your style of technique. That is what Manny did in my opinon.

So Manny's broken rhythm has to come from Bruce Lee? Has it not been a part of boxing for a long time? Where did Bruce Lee pick up the concept of broken rhythm, if not from reading old boxing manuals?

There is no question Manny is an incredible boxer, gifted with amazing speed. Bruce Lee may inspire him, but he doesn't fight like him. The article says Manny is inspired by Bruce Lee. It also says that some of what Manny does was done previously by George Foreman, but he and his trainer refined it. Does that mean George Foreman was inspired by Bruce also? Or that they took boxing principles and refined them?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
So Manny's broken rhythm has to come from Bruce Lee? Has it not been a part of boxing for a long time? Where did Bruce Lee pick up the concept of broken rhythm, if not from reading old boxing manuals?

There is no question Manny is an incredible boxer, gifted with amazing speed. Bruce Lee may inspire him, but he doesn't fight like him. The article says Manny is inspired by Bruce Lee. It also says that some of what Manny does was done previously by George Foreman, but he and his trainer refined it. Does that mean George Foreman was inspired by Bruce also? Or that they took boxing principles and refined them?
Not sure what you are trying to argue, Manny said he was inspired by Bruce Lee not anyone on here. Manny said he broke down Bruces's moves and footwork concepts, not anyone on here. Weather he fight like, or developed his concept from Bruce or not matters not to me, but Manny himself was the one that said what he said. Also his trainer simply made a comment that George also had some similar footwork to what Manny did to him. He simply made another compareison.

Boxing and GungFu are two different animals but you can take some principle from one to apply to the other. Will is look like what the other is? No, I don't think anyone is saying that.

Latest Discussions