What style of Kung Fu is this?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I video recorded this gentleman performing his empty-handed kata (form?) at the tournament I attended in Akron, Ohio yesterday. I wish I had also recorded his weapons kata; he did a great sword technique.

I talked to him later - we also sparred against each other and he beat me. He's a great guy, his son is an Isshin-Ryu stylist. He told me the name of his style - it's a Northern Chinese Kung Fu style I had never heard of, but I forgot it, unfortunately.

Anyone recognize this form/kata?

http://youtu.be/oa0DvvgvLxM

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I video recorded this gentleman performing his empty-handed kata (form?) at the tournament I attended in Akron, Ohio yesterday. I wish I had also recorded his weapons kata; he did a great sword technique.

I talked to him later - we also sparred against each other and he beat me. He's a great guy, his son is an Isshin-Ryu stylist. He told me the name of his style - it's a Northern Chinese Kung Fu style I had never heard of, but I forgot it, unfortunately.

Anyone recognize this form/kata?

http://youtu.be/oa0DvvgvLxM

Very poor.

It looks like (not sure, Northern stuff not my speciality) it could be from the Nanjing Curriculum, like a Mai Fu set maybe.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
It looks very similiar to a Northern Crane form I knew. It isn't performed terribly, but there are some glaring problems.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hmmm... I don't know anything about a "northern" crane, but this doesn't look like any crane I'm familiar with.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO it most closely resembles the Hua and Cha styles and definitely what clfsean said with the 'mai fu' from Jing Wu was a great guess.

Did this guy give you permission to post him on here? This guy's a noob and everybody's trashin him on here.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IMO it most closely resembles the Hua and Cha styles and definitely what clfsean said with the 'mai fu' from Jing Wu was a great guess.

I'm familiar with the Hua Quan sets *even used to know one* & it's definitely none of those. Could possibly be a small Zha Quan set with a couple of the postures but I don't know enough of their material to talk reasonably. Y'know the palm/hook in the hanging stance there he does a couple of times? Zha-ish to me.

But I was feeling Nanjing out of it. Then again... it's Northern... not my cup.

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing just now!! Right. You don't see that too much in the Hua.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I made contact with him on Facebook. Turns out his style is Tien Shen Pai. Anyone heard of it?

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting...:spock: ( with one eye brow raised of course.. the right i think... yes.

Latest Discussions