Man who was not supposed to talk or walk earns 3rd brown

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The news bot brought this one over from KenpoTalk but this is so inspiring I think it deserves a more prominent thread.

The text at the beginning and the end of the video is in Spanish, so here is a translation.

The first frame says that Roberto, at 8 months of age, fell gravely ill.

The second frame says his diagnosis was meningitis. His prognosis was that he would not be able to speak or walk another day.

The frame at the end says Roberto Rivas Castillo, is today, a 3rd degree Brown Belt, AKKS - Chile.

It's a great story. It was amazing for me to watch, and amazing for his school mates to see as well. Vaya Con Dios, our Kenpo brother, you've earned it.

[yt]GSz7sOubV6A[/yt]

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
AWESOME!!!!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you can't be inspired by that man you have no heart. That guy is exactly what TOUGH is. Makes you kind of feel pathetic when you gripe about little training issues. He is truly an inspiration.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Definitely moving and inspirational that they kept training him. Most latin americans tend to hide their disabled children, not allowing them to go out and to do things from the shame of the parents. This young man's family should be praised as well for being behind him and encouraging him to continue with this. The school (as Carol said) should likewise be praised and respected for keeping him and training him and understanding his own limitations and still seeing enough to know that he earned his rank(s).
It'll be a proud day for all of them (and for us who honor this achievement) when he reaches his first black belt! :asian:

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Very, very inspiring....hard not to have tears of joy while watching this clip :)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very, very inspiring....hard not to have tears of joy while watching this clip :)

I definitely had tears rolling down my cheeks. I think that's the first YouTube clip thats ever made me cry :)

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The video alone is moving... but add in Breaking Benjamin's YOU for the audio... and WOW!

Nice vent... thanks!

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Wow!!! He definately has the heart and determination.

Watching that clip has just got me fired up for tonights class.:)

-Marc-

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The third slide says: 26-years later, Roberto demonstrates how wrong science can be...

Latest Discussions