Making Money in the Martial Arts...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know this post sounds superfical but i am looking for ways outside the box to make a few bucks. I am not looking to cheapen the arts but to promote them.

I have had a small dojo in the past and we operated on a "pay what you can, when you can" basis. I loved that and do not want to change that at all.

I am looking for a method of generating income on the side.
Thanks
Jeremy Bays

Couple more ideas - I've heard of some teachers that got involved with their local school system and/or parks department teaching martial arts to kids, some of whom may be at risk. Not a lot of pay, but its something.

What about looking at the more individualized characteristics that you have. For example, if you are in good health and good physical condition, do you think you could learn how to do a physically demanding job, such as an arborist? Do you think you did enough with your dojo to promote yourself as a small business consultant? No need to answer these questions (they are purely hypothetical), but perhaps that can spark an additional train of thought? :)

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How about inventing the Karate Diet, with a book and and your own line of supplements. You could make millions.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How about inventing the Karate Diet, with a book and and your own line of supplements. You could make millions.

As far out as this sounds I think girlbug is thinking along some excellent lines.
Women are horribly underrepresented in the martial arts in general. If you can structure a program geared towards women (many of whom will say weight loss and having more energy is a more important goal than self defense) and teach them at a time that is appealing to them (a dinnertime class may not be the best for the ladies in your area, what about mornings? Middays? Afternoons, in a class that runs concurrent with a children's class?)

It may take some doing, including a lot of pounding the pavement and phone calls, but generally businesses that ask customers for their feedback in what they want - and then provide it - stand a much better chance of success than the businesses that assume what a customer wants without asking them.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
You could start selling "Chi Water" or something.. like that kabbala water thing.

Never compromise your art because of money!

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you're going to run a dojo for profit you might as well do it like you're trying to make a profit. This can mean a lot of marketing. That's when big trophies look good in the windows. Sometimes you have to charge a minimum just so they might think you're better than the other guy down the block teaching for cheaper but you need an edge. Though there are many genuine instructors who teach martial arts for a living and a precious few who make a real tidy sum, it can be a slippery slope balancing profit and respect for the art.

Latest Discussions