Maher vs. Stewart an opinion.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Nolte of Bighollywood.com contrasts Bill Maher and John Stewart in this column. It is interesting the way he defends Maher for at least being brave enough to not hide behind the "I'm just a comedian" ploy that stewart uses.

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/j...n-stewart-i-have-some-respect-for-bill-maher/

"Listen, I know Maher can be intellectually dishonest and unfair and vulgar and that his evangelical crusade to spread his disbelief in God makes an airport Moonie look like the picture of restraint. However, unlike Jon Stewart, Bill Maher does not hide behind a clown nose, he comes to wage political war and says so. You never hear Maher say, “Hey, I’m a satirist, don’t hold me accountable.” Unlike Jon Stewart, Bill Maher also doesn’t try to dictate the how the rest of us speak. While I can certainly see Maher holding a rally to mock Glenn Beck, I cannot see it ending with a sanctimonious speech in favor of political speech rules."

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stewart hasn't made a feature film just to call anyone who believes in any religion stupid.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are Maher's voiced opinions brave, or just a lack of respect for anybody who disagrees with him?

I sense a measure of respect from Stewart. Can't say the same about Maher.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maher was funny, before he declared himself a scholar of all things.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bill Maher's show is on HBO.

Stewart is on Comedy Central.

It seems to me that John Stewart has the right to "hide behind" the comedian disclaimer. His job is to be funny. He happens to do so through political satire, during which he makes some pretty good points, and often makes politicians on both sides of the aisle look ridiculous.

Personally, I've never found Bill Maher funny, and find his style too abrasive for me to get into the show.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Maher could be very insightful and funny when he wanted to be. And yeah, I would even go so far as to call him brave in a way because he often voiceular opinions. But his incredible arrogance and his complete disrespect and rudeness towards anyone who dares ti disagree with him is a huge turn off.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
John Stewart has had some very interesting interviews with people that he obviously fundamentally disagrees with because he nonetheless shows them respect and allows them to debate and disagree with him.

It astonishes me on a nearly daily basis that more insightful discussions of very important topics come from a show on comedy central than most of the major news outlets... but then again, they're often too busy "reporting" who got kicked off Survivor or what the Kardassians are up to...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
John Stewart has had some very interesting interviews with people that he obviously fundamentally disagrees with because he nonetheless shows them respect and allows them to debate and disagree with him.

It astonishes me on a nearly daily basis that more insightful discussions of very important topics come from a show on comedy central than most of the major news outlets... but then again, they're often too busy "reporting" who got kicked off Survivor or what the Kardassians are up to...

I guess since he does not have to sell agenda, only sell himself, he can poke fun at both sides. (And yes, since he is also smart, you do get better news from him than 'the news', to a smaller extent from Colbert as well)

Latest Discussions