Made a website for you guys

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have made a website in which I write different articles related to martial arts. I have written three so far, and I thought you guys might be interested. It's Martial Fury
So far I've written articles about The Carnivore Diet and The correct way to throw a hook
The third article is just my dissertation which I have posted about multiple times. I aim to have some comment sections on the articles up soon so you guys can leave your opinions and discuss them there :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have made a website in which I write different articles related to martial arts. I have written three so far, and I thought you guys might be interested. It's Martial Fury
So far I've written articles about The Carnivore Diet and The correct way to throw a hook
The third article is just my dissertation which I have posted about multiple times. I aim to have some comment sections on the articles up soon so you guys can leave your opinions and discuss them there :)
It's good to see you have the confidence to put your thoughts out their. It's not an easy thing for most people

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
its quite feasoable you would prosper, at least in the short term on a meat only diet, as your stopping over dosing on carbs and sugar, so yes weight loss is very likely,

then its teally a matter of what meat you eat, our ancestors, right down to a few generations ago, would eat the whole animal, brains, organs, blood an all, its certainly true that these are a lot more nutritious, than the more select cuts we eat now, with more proteen vitimins and iron etal, possible sufficient to keep you goibg if you onlyy eat them?

now it mostly goes for dog food, meaning that most people would be healthier if they ate complete dog food than the typical diet.

in my diet, i eat roughly a third vokume of each starch, veg and meat, buying offal as much as a i can,, sheeps hearts for dinber tonight

the dog on the other hand eats only best human cuts of pork and chicken, which is cheaper than dog food

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Ivan, you are enthusiastic and your passion for MA clearly shows and your interest and effort is commendable. For the layman, your dissertation will be useful. The subject matter you tackled is very challenging, especially you being so inexperienced. So, there are a number inaccuracies (though few will notice.) This is to be expected, but the point is, don't take everything your wrote as 100% correct, but it's a good beginning.

Don't take my comments as a put down by any means. Please see them as an invitation to further study and development in the MA. Continue your exploration into karate and its evolution, and in a few years, go back and review your dissertation - it will be a good indicator of how much more you've learned. There is so much to learn and you're off to a good start.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ivan, you are enthusiastic and your passion for MA clearly shows and your interest and effort is commendable. For the layman, your dissertation will be useful. The subject matter you tackled is very challenging, especially you being so inexperienced. So, there are a number inaccuracies (though few will notice.) This is to be expected, but the point is, don't take everything your wrote as 100% correct, but it's a good beginning.

Don't take my comments as a put down by any means. Please see them as an invitation to further study and development in the MA. Continue your exploration into karate and its evolution, and in a few years, go back and review your dissertation - it will be a good indicator of how much more you've learned. There is so much to learn and you're off to a good start.
I agree 100%. When talking about ways to throw a hook then either be very general as in "There are many ways to throw a hook. Here's a few." or be specific as in. In System A. Hooks are often throw in Manner A. In System B. Hooks are often thrown in Manner B.

When I was teaching Jow Ga. Everything was referred to as a Jow Ga punch and we were pretty arrogant with it lol. But the point is, we all understood that the correct way to punch only referred to Jow Ga and not the 50 other ways to throw a punch. We understood that what we did wasn't "The way" but "A way" tho throw a punch.

There's going to be a lot of gray area when it comes to how to punch, kick, and fight in general. If there is one things that's true about MT. There's a lot of gray area.

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all your support guys. I appreciate it a lot. If you guys could frequent and read up on some articles every now and then it would be very helpful. I aim to make an email newsletter, which will have some extra content if you're all interested.

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score

Can I ask what inaccuracies those would be just so I am aware of them? Thanks.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Can I ask what inaccuracies those would be just so I am aware of them? Thanks.
I'll list them in no particular order,

1. Important to note that the Chinese missions to Okinawa, like the original 36 families, had a strong military presence as well. These are the guys who most likely had training in MA.
2. The "public" at large was not exposed to Chinese reading and writing and fashion, only the upper-class.
3. The masters such as Kusanku and Chinto did not teach "many" Okinawans - just a handful as teaching then was very selective.
4. They did not teach Kusanku kata and Chinto kata, named after themselves. They did teach the techniques and their students developed modified kata using those moves and named the kata after their teacher. That is most likely the way it went.
5. You mentioned "ki" in relation to the sternum. That's a new one on me. I have only seen/heard ki being centered in the lower belly, tanden or hara.
6. Loud kiai in every move? While a few schools may teach this way, I think this is more of a stereotype. Most schools kiai more judiciously, even rarely. IMO, to do so every move is ridiculous, other than as a newbie training aid.
7. As you mentioned, the bo is a staff. To say "bo staff" is redundant. (Just a pet peeve of mine, like hearing ain't not good grammar.) They come in different lengths - the 6ft roku shaku is the most common, so often just referred to as "bo," jo is about 4 ft, han bo is 3ft, and tan bo, 2ft.

These are the points that jumped out at me off the top of my head. None of them take away that most all of your project was very informative. You have a great attitude (masochistic) in asking for critique. Sort of like brining your hands and thrusting them into a bucket of rocks. Might hurt, but can make you tougher. :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ivan, you wearing a mask yet?

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll list them in no particular order,

1. Important to note that the Chinese missions to Okinawa, like the original 36 families, had a strong military presence as well. These are the guys who most likely had training in MA.
2. The "public" at large was not exposed to Chinese reading and writing and fashion, only the upper-class.
3. The masters such as Kusanku and Chinto did not teach "many" Okinawans - just a handful as teaching then was very selective.
4. They did not teach Kusanku kata and Chinto kata, named after themselves. They did teach the techniques and their students developed modified kata using those moves and named the kata after their teacher. That is most likely the way it went.
5. You mentioned "ki" in relation to the sternum. That's a new one on me. I have only seen/heard ki being centered in the lower belly, tanden or hara.
6. Loud kiai in every move? While a few schools may teach this way, I think this is more of a stereotype. Most schools kiai more judiciously, even rarely. IMO, to do so every move is ridiculous, other than as a newbie training aid.
7. As you mentioned, the bo is a staff. To say "bo staff" is redundant. (Just a pet peeve of mine, like hearing ain't not good grammar.) They come in different lengths - the 6ft roku shaku is the most common, so often just referred to as "bo," jo is about 4 ft, han bo is 3ft, and tan bo, 2ft.

These are the points that jumped out at me off the top of my head. None of them take away that most all of your project was very informative. You have a great attitude (masochistic) in asking for critique. Sort of like brining your hands and thrusting them into a bucket of rocks. Might hurt, but can make you tougher. :D
I appreciate you correcting me. Thank you very much.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I appreciate you correcting me. Thank you very much.

Since there was so little written down regarding karate history, and much of that was destroyed in WW2, second hand info, misconceptions, suppositions and legends abounded. Some factual stuff got twisted in retellings thru the years. Plus, there is so much to MA history, and different styles, so it's hard to know it all. And, some people just made stuff up.

So it's not about correction, but passing on accurate information down the line allowing others to appreciate it. The facts are just as interesting as fiction, as well as being more useful.

Latest Discussions