L'Shanah Tovah

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
L'Shanah Tovah - Happy New Year. Today is Rosh Hashanah, the beginning of the Days of Awe, and the start of the Jewish New Year.

From the liturgy for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur:

"On Rosh HaShanah it is inscribed, and on Yom Kippur it is sealed: how many will pass away and how many will be born, who will live and who will die; who will die prematurely and who will live out his days; who will perish by fire and who by water; who by sword and who by wild animals; who by hunger and who by thirst; who by earthquake and who by plague; who by strangling and who by stoning; who will have rest and who will wander about; who will be at peace and who will be tormented; who will be at ease and who will be bothered; who will become poor and who will become rich; who will be brought low and who will be raised up."
May we and all your people, the house of Israel, be remembered and inscribed in the book of life, blessing, peace and prosperity, so that we will have a life of goodness and peace. Blessed are you, Adonai, the maker of peace."
On Rosh HaShanah, Jews greet each other by saying "May you be inscribed in the book of life for a good year."
On this holy day, I greet you, and wish that you will all be inscribed in the book of life for a good year, a prosperous year, and a happy year, regardless of race, creed, religion, or any of the other differences that separate us - let those differences, instead, bring us together in the coming year, to learn and grow.

Kacey

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can you spell it out phonetically?? There is a Jewish officer on the department and I'd like to say it to him...

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can you spell it out phonetically?? There is a Jewish officer on the department and I'd like to say it to him...

Do you mean "L'shanah Tovah"? That's pretty close to phonetic already - the best I can do "luh shahn ah toe vah"

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks..That will do it..

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
L'Shanah Tovah - Happy New Year. Today is Rosh Hashanah, the beginning of the Days of Awe, and the start of the Jewish New Year.

L'Shanah Tovah to you, Kacey, and to everyone on MartialTalk, and let's hope that the wishes in your post for the New Year finally come about.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Kacey...I must have said it right because he responded in a flurry of Hebrew and I had to remind I speak English and very bad Italian...

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Kacey...I must have said it right because he responded in a flurry of Hebrew and I had to remind I speak English and very bad Italian...
I'm glad it worked... I speak a smattering of Hebrew (mostly memorized phrases from prayers) and a very little French that I remember from high school.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
L'Shana Tovah Kacey!

I haven't greeted someone with that since high school. :)

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, Lisa! See... being here on MT is broadening your horizons, or at least bringing back your youth.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, Lisa! See... being here on MT is broadening your horizons, or at least bringing back your youth.

The high school I attended was predominantly jewish. Classes were "optional" for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur. :)

Latest Discussions