Lower belts keep kicking me in the groin. Need advice.

OP
T

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
Learn. To. Block. Your. Groin. Students who are apparently worse than you are kicking you in a vital area. You are responsible for you, protect yourself at all times. So why aren't you blocking your groin? Is your stance too open, is your guard too high? What hole in your game is allowing newbies to hurt you?
the problem is that i block wherever the kick is aimed. put it this way: they throw a kick to the abdomen, i block to the abdomen, then suddenly it changes course at the very end of the technique and hits me in the groin. i have no idea how it even happens sometimes

OP
T

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
If poor aim/flexibility can make a technique that effective, we should all want to train how to be "poor aim/flexibility".

Something is wrong about this logic. What is it?
groin kicks are not hard to throw. they dont require aim nor flexibility. that's why they're so effective; you dont need much training or physical ability to pull them off.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
the problem is that i block wherever the kick is aimed. put it this way: they throw a kick to the abdomen, i block to the abdomen, then suddenly it changes course at the very end of the technique and hits me in the groin. i have no idea how it even happens sometimes
No, you block where you think the kick is going. Obviously, you're wrong.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can't block everything. Use your feet to move you out of range or off center. As @drop bear stated leg checks also work,

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maby op needs to go down the conditioning route.

You know build a callous.
AnchoredThreadbareGlowworm-max-1mb.gif

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah but it is the same as karate guys kicking people in the nuts.

They shouldn't do it. But if they are doing it.....
Yeah, but boxers wear cups. Never saw a shin attack in boxing. Ear bites, sure, but I don't remember ever seeing a shin get kicked.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, but boxers wear cups. Never saw a shin attack in boxing. Ear bites, sure, but I don't remember ever seeing a shin get kicked.
But hey, if a boxer did get kicked in the shin and decided to wear shin guards because of it, that would be fine with me.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you do do this, bend your toes up when you raise your leg. That causes the muscle along your shin (Tibialis) to flex, protects your shin a little bit.
Agree! After your leg block, the toes up

- forward posture can help to to counter back with a toes push kick (or heel kick.
- sideway posture can allow you to use your instep to lift up your opponent's kicking leg.

If you can use your leg block to set up your front kick, side kick, roundhouse kick, crescent kick, ... that will be a good training.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why don't you just raise your knee and use your shin bone to block that kick?
Or take it a step further. Beginners tend to telegraph. I had a student who telegraphed his rear leg kicks about 20 minutes before throwing them. He no longer does. I'd spar with him, and I'd jam the kicks aggressively. With a front leg kick to his thigh. Not hard, pretty much all of the impact came from his forward momentum. But it worked.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Or take it a step further. Beginners tend to telegraph. I had a student who telegraphed his rear leg kicks about 20 minutes before throwing them. He no longer does. I'd spar with him, and I'd jam the kicks aggressively. With a front leg kick to his thigh. Not hard, pretty much all of the impact came from his forward momentum. But it worked.
Made me laugh, the telegraph line.

And how so very Dirty doggish. 🤗

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
telegraphed his rear leg kicks ...
All rear leg kicks require body rotation that you may expose your center to your opponent. Boxers use a jab to set up a cross. IMO, it's better to use front leg kick to set up rear leg kick.

In another thread, someone asked the difference between the front leg side kick vs. the back leg side kick. After the body rotation, both kicks are the same. But in sparring, you try to avoid that "body rotation" that expose your center.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you do do this, bend your toes up when you raise your leg. That causes the muscle along your shin (Tibialis) to flex, protects your shin a little bit.

Do what is called a lazy check. Where you just twist your knee towards the kick. But keep both feet on the ground

Latest Discussions