Loss of Respect for the Presidency

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is something that I have noticed over the years, even during my relatively short life.

Personal viewpoints aside, I believe that the presidency as an institution has lost any shred of respect. Even when I was growing up with Ronald Reagan as president and even George Bush part 1, people seemed to treat the president in a much different way.

Now the last few years have had a lot to do with that. Increased scandals, national disasters, a war we don't want to be in....but it is having a significant affect on the institution of the Presidency.

We have a saying in my line of work - "You don't have to respect the man, but you have to respect the position." Much of this has been lost....

My questions are:

1) Do you believe that it has always been like this to a degree? Or do you think that it has in fact gotten worse? (basically....am I WAY off base or not)
2) What do you think has caused this? Is it one man, is it a pattern, is it something that will change in the near future?

This should probably be in the great debate...but I am not going for a President bashing session - I'm more curious on your views of the Presidency as an institution, not necessarily the individual who currently occupies the office.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Presidency has always been the most prominent target in our society. Of course, there have been those, throughout our national existence, that have showed a lack of respect for the office and the office holder. I think your memory is colored by time and wishful thinking.

President Reagan was a dip****. He was ridiculed by many, regardless of the office he held.

The current occupant of the White House isn't destroying the Presidency (yet) ... but he is doing a damn good job of destroying the Republican Party. In 2008, this country is going to be so blue, you won't be able to tell where the Atlantic Ocean ends and the Pacific Ocean begins from space.

But, the Presidency will go on. Whether it is Newt Gingrich or Al Gore or Barack Obama or Tom Tancredo, who takes office on 1.20.09, the office will go on. The Office holder will be held in contempt by some and revered by others. <<shrugg>>

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Presidency has always been the most prominent target in our society. Of course, there have been those, throughout our national existence, that have showed a lack of respect for the office and the office holder. I think your memory is colored by time and wishful thinking.

President Reagan was a dip****. He was ridiculed by many, regardless of the office he held.

The current occupant of the White House isn't destroying the Presidency (yet) ... but he is doing a damn good job of destroying the Republican Party. In 2008, this country is going to be so blue, you won't be able to tell where the Atlantic Ocean ends and the Pacific Ocean begins from space.

But, the Presidency will go on. Whether it is Newt Gingrich or Al Gore or Barack Obama or Tom Tancredo, who takes office on 1.20.09, the office will go on. The Office holder will be held in contempt by some and revered by others. <<shrugg>>

Of course the presidency is a huge target, it is just a matter of how people think of the presidency.

Of course, no matter who holds the office, they will have their critics. They will also have their champions.

So in your opinion, the current public feeling toward the institution of the Presidency has not changed in recent years?

The Presidency will obviously always be a part of our government. But can public opinion change the role that the presidency will play in our government in the future?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most Americans don't understand the real power of the office, and so thy place all the blame for problems on the person in the hot seat. The office was originally created as a symbiotic "King" since the colonists were used to having 1 person at the top, and was rather powerless. Over the years though, more and more power has been grabbed and we've ended up where we are today where a buffoon holds almost kinglike power.

The sheeple regularly forget that there are 2 legislative branches that make most of the decisions, so the president gets all the blame when things go wrong, often times unfairly.

But, there'll always be someone in that seat, though less and less will vote for him due to growing disilusionment in the system.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think a big thing that people often forget as well, is each president inherits the legacy of the president(s) before him. Kind of 'riding that wave' etc. Just as Bush stepped into the situation left over by Clinton (economic etc), the next will walk into the one left by Bush.

But again, like Bob said, there are two houses that make most of the things happen, the guy at the top is just wearing the target.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The President has always caught flak. The office is, as my personal hero Ambrose Bierce said, "The greased pig in the field games of American politics." But with the cheapening of American politics starting around the time of Lee Atwater and NCPAC it has gotten worse. Time magazine's "Last Whistle Stop" cartoon at the end of the Truman Administration has nothing on what is done now. So, yes, the President gets less respect as our political culture has degenerated.

But George W. Bush has taken respect for the office to lows unheard of since, Christ, I can't even figure out when. Nixon doesn't even come close.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
My questions are:

1) Do you believe that it has always been like this to a degree? Or do you think that it has in fact gotten worse? (basically....am I WAY off base or not)
2) What do you think has caused this? Is it one man, is it a pattern, is it something that will change in the near future?

This should probably be in the great debate...but I am not going for a President bashing session - I'm more curious on your views of the Presidency as an institution, not necessarily the individual who currently occupies the office.

Considering McClellan was willing to lose the civil war just to get himself into office over the incumbent who he described as a "baboon"... I don't think the office has had a kinglike level of respect.

Latest Discussions