Looking to start martial arts

Masei

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I've been looking to start martial arts for a while but am struggling on what style to choose to learn. The joint locks and throws etc from Aikido really intrested me so i started to read more about it however the more i read about it the more i go 'it doesnt work'
But i mean it must work if it has been going this long? Or is it something to learn after you have study'd another martial art?
I also like the idea of Ishinryu.

What im really trying to ask is what advice you would give to a beginner on what to learn and is Aikido worth a beginner learning?

Thanks for you time and help its much appreciated :)

If you have any questions feel free to ask me, and if you need a idea on the martial arts in my area just ask :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I've been looking to start martial arts for a while but am struggling on what style to choose to learn. The joint locks and throws etc from Aikido really intrested me so i started to read more about it however the more i read about it the more i go 'it doesnt work'
But i mean it must work if it has been going this long? Or is it something to learn after you have study'd another martial art?
I also like the idea of Ishinryu.

What im really trying to ask is what advice you would give to a beginner on what to learn and is Aikido worth a beginner learning?

Thanks for you time and help its much appreciated :)

If you have any questions feel free to ask me, and if you need a idea on the martial arts in my area just ask :)

Welcome to MT!

I don't think you will find many here who put down any particular given martial art, regardless of what our personal opinions might be. Most of us accept that all martial arts have validity and application within their design, and competent teaching and diligent studentship create valid skills, regardless of tradition.

That said, I am an Isshin-Ryu practitioner. However, I am a mere beginner myself, having only been practicing it for 2 1/2 years. I like it a lot. It's very different from Aikido, but I think Aikido is quite interesting.

A big part of the answer to your questions is probably based on finding out what YOU want and expect from martial arts training, as well as practical questions like what training is available in your area, what physical limitations you might have, even what your personality is best suited for. Do you want to learn strictly for self-defense? For health? For flexibility? For other reasons? All of these questions play into what may become the best answer for you.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What martial arts are available in your area? While most people like to research styles online the problem then arises where they have decided "Okay, I will learn x" only to find out that the only schools around them only teach w, y, and z. Find the arts in your area and break them down into the types of arts that interest you and rank them in the order of interest you have in it. Once you have that list, go visit those schools in that order and watch class and ask some of these questions:

Do the instructors seem competent?
Do the instructors have credentials (pro/pro-am fights, law enforcement, military, reputable organization, etc)?
Do you like the teaching style?
Does the material look applicable/useful?
Do the students seem welcoming and seem to enjoy the class?
Are the class dues exorbitant?
Are there a large number of odd-colored belts you have to pay for every time you get promoted to one of them?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What martial arts are available in your area? While most people like to research styles online the problem then arises where they have decided "Okay, I will learn x" only to find out that the only schools around them only teach w, y, and z. Find the arts in your area and break them down into the types of arts that interest you and rank them in the order of interest you have in it. Once you have that list, go visit those schools in that order and watch class and ask some of these questions:

Do the instructors seem competent?
Do the instructors have credentials (pro/pro-am fights, law enforcement, military, reputable organization, etc)?
Do you like the teaching style?
Does the material look applicable/useful?
Do the students seem welcoming and seem to enjoy the class?
Are the class dues exorbitant?
Are there a large number of odd-colored belts you have to pay for every time you get promoted to one of them?

All excellent points! I would add - having seen this recently - ask how long the instructor has been involved in teaching martial arts. I've run into a few five-year-wonders recently. Not to say that they are not skilled or good teachers, but I'd prefer an instructor with decades of training behind the black belt. Just my 2 cents.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with the post a few points back, but I think I am going to simplify it.

The first question is:
What styles are available in your area that you can afford or go to?

AoG

OP
M

Masei

White Belt
Reaction score
These are the following styles avalibile to me:

Isshinryu*
Wado Ryu
Kenpo
Capoeira
Su-Zen-Kai
Aikido*
Iai-do*
T'ai Chi Chuan
Shito-Ryu Shukokai
Judo
Ken Yu Kai
Suhari?

I'm sorry if some of these are names of school instead of style. The ones with a * are the ones I have read abit about :)

Thanks for the reply's

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Isshinryu*
Wado Ryu
Kenpo
Capoeira
Su-Zen-Kai
Aikido*
Iai-do*
T'ai Chi Chuan
Shito-Ryu Shukokai
Judo
Ken Yu Kai
Suhari?

I'm sorry if some of these are names of school instead of style. The ones with a * are the ones I have read abit about :)

Thanks for the reply's
That third thing looks cool.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
From his posts, it seems that the OP has already done the basic homework of seeing what's available.

Aikido can be a tremendously effective art for real self defense -- but it takes time and it takes a school aimed at learning it that way. There are, unfortunately, a lot of schools around that aren't focused on reality... (FYI -- Steven Seagal is a well known practitioner of one form of aikido...)

What are your goals in training? How much time do you have? Those can be guides to which art. But -- the best thing is to go out, visit the school, and decide if it's somewhere you want to spend time and people you want to do potentially dangerous things with.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Isshinryu*
Wado Ryu

Isshin-Ryu is my style. It was derived from Shorin-Ryu and Goju-Ryu and retains aspects of both. It is distinguished by a vertical fist punch and snapping kicks, among other things.

I trained very briefly in Wado-Ryu many years ago. It is a fascinating derivative of karate and jujitsu. It is distinguished by the application of techniques that emphasize body movement to control the confrontation.

I think that either one, competently taught, would be quite effective self-defense techniques.

Kenpo
Capoeira
Su-Zen-Kai
Aikido*
Iai-do*
T'ai Chi Chuan
Shito-Ryu Shukokai
Judo
Ken Yu Kai
Suhari?

Thanks for the reply's

I have no personal knowledge of any other the others, although I have an interest in Judo myself; Isshin-Ryu does not have a 'ground game' per se, and I also want to build my flexibility and balance, not to mention learning how to fall properly.

Sounds like you have a lot of good choices available to you. Good luck!

OP
M

Masei

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's guys :)
In response to jks's questions, i have quite alot of time and could probbely do 2-3 lessons a week. My goals are rather vague I guess. I mean I want to learn self defence and improve self convidence. I also wants something to strive towards and a challenge to me.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In response to jks's questions, i have quite alot of time and could probbely do 2-3 lessons a week. My goals are rather vague I guess. I mean I want to learn self defence and improve self convidence. I also wants something to strive towards and a challenge to me.

I think the advice given above by others was pretty good. Check things out, take your time, watch classes, talk to students. Look at costs, long and short term.

The number one thing I can say about any martial arts training is to persevere. Effort is important, and talent helps, so does physical condition. But in my opinion, nothing matters as much as dedication. Keep training, no matter what you choose. That's where you get the benefit.

OP
M

Masei

White Belt
Reaction score
Just managed to find the website about the aikido school,
It said it was a Therpuetic thing. So I googled that and it said it was a martial arts therapy, that's not something I'm really looking for so I guess that can be taken off the list. Also would anyone be able to list a few pros/cons on isshinryu please?
It would be a massive help
Thanks

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score

do you like punchy kicky stuff? Or do you prefer grappling on the ground? Do you like more kicky stuff or more emphasis on punchy stuff? Do you like using the attackers own weight against him/her (aikido)?

Knowing that helps you decide what you want

OP
M

Masei

White Belt
Reaction score
There is TaeKwonDo, but doesnt in involve alot of kicking? Because i'd rather have something punching based than kicking.

I dont mind grappiling on the ground and using the attackers own weight against them :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is TaeKwonDo, but doesnt in involve alot of kicking? Because i'd rather have something punching based than kicking.

I dont mind grappiling on the ground and using the attackers own weight against them :)

Isshin-Ryu is more balanced between kicking and punching than most Korean martial arts (I believe). It also does not do high-kicks as TKD does. If you are more into punching, then you may not prefer TKD.

With regard to grappling, most traditional Okinawan karate does not do much grappling that I'm aware of. That is the realm of jujitsu and judo if you're talking Japanese arts.

Wado does a bit of both. I was only a student for a brief time, but you may find that appealing, given your statement above.

Check out some youtube videos for the various styles - you may be able to see how they are similar and different.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Isshinryu*
Wado Ryu
Kenpo
Capoeira
Su-Zen-Kai
Aikido*
Iai-do*
T'ai Chi Chuan
Shito-Ryu Shukokai
Judo
Ken Yu Kai
Suhari?

Of these, given that you are wanting self defense, striking that is focused on punching, and grappling, I would say Isshinryu, Wado Ryu, Kenpo (although that will have more kicking, I believe), and Shito-Ryu. Judo will give you throwing and grappling, but striking is only taught at high ranks and even then only in some schools.

Ken Yu Kai is an organization, not an art, and includes Shito-Ryu and Wado-Ryu, to my knowledge. Su-Ha-Ri is a concept, not an art, but from what I found on Google it looks like the places calling themselves Su-Ha-Ri schools teach Wado-Ryu.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The questions were for you -- not me. Those answers will shape what you choose. If you want quick self defense training, you'll want to go one way. If you're looking for something to practice for decades, focusing on personal development and refinement as well as exposure to another culture, that's a different choice. If you want to compete and win trophies -- you need to go somewhere that does that.

Figure out what you're looking for -- and examine the schools for providing it.

But most important, to me, is to "fit" with the school and instructor.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score

check out some of that then and see what you think. :)

rooke

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The problem is this. Everyone takes martial arts for different reasons. And maybe you may share the same primary reason as a friend, but your secondary and tertiary reasons may differ. So you'll have different choices.

To make things even more complicated, if you say "For Self Defense", it depends on how you envision your fight versus how others envision the fight they're preparing for. Are you worried about multiple opponents, or a local bully? Is the fight going to be with someone around your size, or someone bigger? Or smaller? Are they skilled? What do you foresee?

Everyone likes to think "All of it", but certain styles skew more towards some scenarios then others.

If you're looking for self-defense, I'd say this:
Can you envision your art working against an MMA guy who studied their art as long as you have your art (ie: I plan on studying XXXX for 5 years...who would win a fight? Me studying XXXX for 5 years, or me studying MMA for 5 years?).

Within the confines of their rule structure, MMA is king for a reason. Without rules (which is what most folks say), its still hard to deal with. They spar, so they have a good feel for distancing, juking/faking, and a SOLID ground strategy that most folks don't address.

I happen to be a Kali/Silat/JKD guy. That was my "truth". But you should find the best TEACHER (far more important than a style), and jump in and go from there. Once you've started, you'll have a better idea of what you want. Or go and watch classes at all the schools you plan on going to, and see which one seems the most reasonable for what you want. Or if you lack the time, youtube the styles, and see which seem to be most realistic for the scenarios you envision. Good luck.

Rooke

Latest Discussions