looking to get started, dont know which style to pick

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Read http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17277

And http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17273

They are the first two links on this page. They are great resources. My advice:

1) Figure out what you want:
Do you want to spar? What contact level of sparring are you comfortable with? Are you looking for more of a cardio workout?
Are you interested in weapons?
Are you interested in the history of the art?

2) SHOP AROUND. This can't be emphasized enough. Don't sign on w/ the first place you like. Try several out before giving your favorite an 'extended trial period'.

3) My suggestion would be to avoid signing a long term contract at all if possible. If it's not possible, then I would suggest trying to avoid signing a long-term contract initially. It takes more than 1 week or 1 month to know if you are going to really like a school. Several clubs offer discounts if you sign a long term contract--I would suggest waiting 3-6 months to do this. If you find that you don't like the school, it will be worth the extra $$ initially to be able to leave at any time without having to pay the whole contract.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Before you choose a style? You may want to read a few books by Marc "the animal" Macyoung! It seems you want to be able to use things right away. His thinking may change what you are looking at now?

These are my thoughts of what I would choose if I started all over. First I would train either in Judo, Juijutsu or grapping first, than add a Kempo style class or wing chun.

My son is training in wrestling and judo, he is 15 years old and just learn them thru his High School (team sports). Has done Kempo since age 7. I believe he is a better fighter now with the wrestling and judo skills he has learn in a very short time. Last then two years of it. Something about the physcial contact of the sport makes you learn faster!

again just an opinion of one person........Aloha

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chronuss said:
you really need to ellaborate on what you're looking to get out of a system (style is how you personally execute techniques or basics, a system, or art, is what you're looking for to study).
just to ellaborate...

a system is a unification of related concepts, ideas, principles, facts, truths, and basic elements of a particular school of Martial Arts...

style is a word used to describe the manner a single individual applies and executes the system he or she has learned...

before you go jumping into a TKD, JKD, MMA, or any other studio or school, you must first decide what you want to gain from the art you study, window shop, per se. find an instructor that offers what you want to learn.

OP
S

switch

stephen said:
Don't pick a style, pick a teacher!

/steve
Amen. Very good answer. Must be all that Bujinkan you do :D

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chronuss said:
just to ellaborate...

a system is a unification of related concepts, ideas, principles, facts, truths, and basic elements of a particular school of Martial Arts...

style is a word used to describe the manner a single individual applies and executes the system he or she has learned...
This isn't true, as should be very plain by looking through this thread, and more generally this site, to see how many experienced martial artists correctly use 'style' to describe a style of martial arts. It's the same usage you hear when speaking of a style of music, or fashion, etc. It is possible to speak of a personal style, but 'style' generally refers to something that a group of people participates in. Certainly, that's the case when discussing the martial arts. It's a common way to translate -ryu in terms like Goju-ryu, for example. Kenpoists often use this term in the idiosyncratic fashion you give above, but they are by far the excepion. A more common term used is 'expression'; an individual has his or her own expression of the style.

As to the original poster's question, it's necessary to know what choices of styles you have before useful advice can be given. The best advice will remain to select an instructor with whom you feel comfortable and in whom you have confidence. If utilising your skill in gymnastics is important, there are such arts (e.g., capoeira), but we really have to know what's available in your area to give any practical opinions.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is hard to make a choice with so many arts out there. However, each response is a personal preference from the person posting it. This is always a topic from a beginner. It is like one asking to help decide. It is like some telling you that cooked liver tastes great. Until you try it, you cannot agree or disagree with that person's preference. So, go and try anything (martial arts-unless you wana try liver):
A.) Affordable
B.) Close By
C.) Enjoy

Here is a interesting article that I had found that should have the beginner somewhat understan the choices to be made:

http://www.spiritualminds.com/articles.asp?articleid=1888

OP
D

Drifter

Whatever you do, try a few free classes first. Fortunately I don't know from experience, but apparently signing a year long contract and then finding out that the people there suck, the teaching sucks, or the art itself sucks for you, really sucks.

smileJap.gif

OP
T

TCA

You may have already signed a contract or started training at a school by now. But if not, look for an instructor and school that believes that the dojo is for conditioning the body and not a lot of small talk. What i am referring to is a teacher that believes in training hard in the art and is not quick to advance students in rank. It is most important that students learn the basics before moving to the next level. Visit a few schools or instructors (don't underestimate instructors who teach in basements or garages) and look at the students. They will reflect the teachings of the instructor. The advanced color belts should be performing their moves with good technique and sharpness. You will learn quickly what i mean by this. Each workout should be exactly that, a complete workout (much sweat and strain). I now personally train in shorin ryu. Originally I was in tae kwon do. Our workouts are very strenuous and complete. Our test are long. But, the black belts are highly respected in the MA world. Take your time, stick with the one style you choose, and get very good...

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
I recently quit playing counter strike professionaly(to any players on here i was former cal i) and i need a new hobby.i tried playing bass, but i have zero musical talent. ive tried tons of stuff and now im moving on to martial arts.

i started reasearching about a week ago and im overwhemeled in trying to pick a style and school so i decided to let some actully educated people pick for me:)
here are my charactrisitcs(sp?)
5'5
semiatheletic
140 pounds
flexible(former gymnast, not an incredibly good one though, i broke my foot doing a backflip and quit, i can still do back hand springs though :p)
preferbly i want a style that is more offensive and more combat oriented rather than spirtual( spirtual is ok, but i happen to have alot of enemies[very long story])

So, ill close with asking you guys to reccomend a style

HypnoToad
go to schools and and trust your instincts and the vibes you get from them

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Uh, this thread was last posted on in 2005. I am pretty certain the OP has gotten a 10th degree black belt and founded his own system at this point.

Latest Discussions