Looking into Hapkido

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
i have been looking into different Martial arts and trying to decide what to do. I went to a BJJ class and I loved it. They also do MT and teach striking. I want to a few Krav Maga classes and like that as well. We have a reputable Hapkido school near us and was wondering if that would be a good option as well. I am looking for a good workout, this will be replacing the Crossfit I have been doing for the past 8 years. I also want to learn a great system and possibly compete. I am 46 years old. Would like be to hear from Hapkido veterans about your thoughts on the art and what it offers.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
i have been looking into different Martial arts and trying to decide what to do. I went to a BJJ class and I loved it. They also do MT and teach striking. I want to a few Krav Maga classes and like that as well. We have a reputable Hapkido school near us and was wondering if that would be a good option as well. I am looking for a good workout, this will be replacing the Crossfit I have been doing for the past 8 years. I also want to learn a great system and possibly compete. I am 46 years old. Would like be to hear from Hapkido veterans about your thoughts on the art and what it offers.
Since you are wanting to replace a Crossfit level workout routine, I don't think Hapkido is going to give you that. Unless the class has been augmented to include a good dose of cardio.
Hapkido is mostly about joint lock and manipulation. These things are hard to practice because they are mostly 'ending' moves. It is fantastic as a supplement to other styles but not so much if you want a cardio heavy workout. Again, maybe the class mentioned has supplemented.
I have never been to a Krav class so I cannot speak to that.
The BJJ I have dappled in was a great workout. Closer to wrestling because there are long stretches where your whole body will be in a strain. A great cardio workout.
If you have the time and resources, maybe you can do BJJ and Hap?

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A very old thread that likely has been settled one way or another but I'll just add a little more. First, HKD was based and derived from aikido and Daito Ryu akijiujutsu. Due to strained relations between Japan and Korea teaching a Japanese art was frowned on. So after a few other names were cast aside it eventually became HKD. Being a legitimate Korean MA it was imbued with lots of kicks.

Depending on the background and experience of a sensei HKD can be taught more as judo, TKD, etc. The kicking/striking in HKD is fundamentally different from TKD and Karate. The art itself is, and should, be much closer to jujitsu than even aikido. The philosophy of HKD differs as well. IMHO, HKD is a better "fighting" art than, say, TKD because it seems to be an art more easily mastered than TKD. One doesn't have to be super athletic to learn HKD.