Looking for original 1910 BSA merit badge handbook

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Help me find a book! I'm looking for an original 1910 U.S. Boy Scouts "Master at Arms" merit badge handbook.

I've already found and republished the 1926 edition but that is a much later edition and it's British. The U.S. BSA "Master at Arms" badge was discontinued almost immediately, in 1911. I'm trying to source an original copy, both for my personal research and to pursue my hobby of republishing antique manuals and making the high-quality PDF available for free.

If you're a BSA collector (or a book collector) and have a copy, please, contact me. If you're not willing to part with your original, I can get done what I need with decent quality pics or even photocopies.

Please help me preserve this information and make it available to future generations.

Thank you!

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm out of the loop, but just messaged someone who is friends with a few BSA "hobby-historians". If I hear back with any news I'll let you know.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Help me find a book! I'm looking for an original 1910 U.S. Boy Scouts "Master at Arms" merit badge handbook.

I've already found and republished the 1926 edition but that is a much later edition and it's British. The U.S. BSA "Master at Arms" badge was discontinued almost immediately, in 1911. I'm trying to source an original copy, both for my personal research and to pursue my hobby of republishing antique manuals and making the high-quality PDF available for free.

If you're a BSA collector (or a book collector) and have a copy, please, contact me. If you're not willing to part with your original, I can get done what I need with decent quality pics or even photocopies.

Please help me preserve this information and make it available to future generations.

Thank you!

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Sorry, can't help. I had no idea this was even a thing in the BSA until I saw this thread. So I looked up the British copy online just in case anybody else finds it interesting too:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, can't help. I had no idea this was even a thing in the BSA until I saw this thread. So I looked up the British copy online just in case anybody else finds it interesting too:

That's the American one though, Boy Scouts of America.

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yup. That's the one I republished on Lulu. Free pdf. But I found a typo in it that I need to correct.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. That's the one I republished on Lulu. Free pdf. But I found a typo in it that I need to correct.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Scouting here still has a Master at Arms badge for the girls and boys to earn. Not ancient lol but wondered if you'd seen it.

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's the American one though, Boy Scouts of America.
Actually, ...no.

Even though the site is a U.S. based Troop, the image is taken from the 1926 MoA Handbook which was British. Published by James Brown & Son LTD in Glasgow.

I know this manual intimately. :)

There is a slight chance that the text and images from the '26 British handbook are exactly the same as the the '10 U.S. Handbook, but I have no evidence of that one way or the other and some small reason to think they're different.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Scouting here still has a Master at Arms badge for the girls and boys to earn. Not ancient lol but wondered if you'd seen it.
Yes, I'm aware (and a tad jealous). I've also seen at least one Scouter over there who's created his own system/handbook which brings back "quarterstaff" and includes FMA based stick fighting and some open hand stuff. I tried to find it again but it's not coming up on a quick google.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, ...no.

Even though the site is a U.S. based Troop, the image is taken from the 1926 MoA Handbook which was British. Published by James Brown & Son LTD in Glasgow.

I know this manual intimately. :)

There is a slight chance that the text and images from the '26 British handbook are exactly the same as the the '10 U.S. Handbook, but I have no evidence of that one way or the other and some small reason to think they're different.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Mmm, it does say Boy Scouts of America though not Boy Scouts (just Scouts these days), perhaps it should add 'copied from the Brits as they are really good at fighting ' 😂

Hope you find your book, the trouble with 'handbooks' is they get well used, passed on through lots of hands and then discarded especially if outdated. I have Guiding handbooks that are so read and thumbed through they have to be replaced regularly. Albums, dairies and reports seem to last better.

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mmm, it does say Boy Scouts of America though not Boy Scouts (just Scouts these days),
The website is for a U.S. based BSA troop. The images that they are displaying are 100% from the british published handbook.

perhaps it should add 'copied from the Brits a' 😂
It does. Right there on the raw scans pdf they link to. "James Brown & Son LTD" in Glasgow
Screenshot from 2021-07-28 20-47-12.png

Hope you find your book, the trouble with 'handbooks' is they get well used, passed on through lots of hands and then discarded especially if outdated. I have Guiding handbooks that are so read and thumbed through they have to be replaced regularly. Albums, dairies and reports seem to last better.
Yup. 100% right. I've seen the same thing with pulp publication Boxing and Wrestling books. They're on crappy high-acid paper, with cheap binding, well worn, rode hard, put away wet. Finding a 19th C. manual is like treasure and they usually go for hundreds of U.S. dollars. Sometimes the more common ones can be had for under $100 U.S.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got a reply from the U.S. National Scouting Museum.

Merit badge pamphlets did not exist for Merit Badges in 1910, they came along later in the program in February 1919. The Merit Badge in question, Master at Arms, was part of the British Scouting program and was brought to the U.S. in 1909 as part of the initial launch of the Scouting program in this country. There is no record that any U.S. Scout ever earned this or any of the original 14 merit badges imported from England.

So I guess I'm looking for a copy of the 1910 British manual.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions