Looking for decent school in Austin,TX

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been looking at a Shaolin Kenpo school, a Tukong Moosul school, a Muay Thai school, a few kung fu schools, a jeet kune do school, and a few judo schools.

I have even found a decent kali school but as I will be new to the area I'm flexible.

Any thoughts on where to start my journey in Austin?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What have you tried in the past? What do you enjoy? Have you tried any of them out yet?

Also it seems like you move around a bit-is that going to be a continuing thing? If it is, my first advice would be to choose a style that's relatively well-known so you can continue it if you move in a year.

OP
M

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Quite a few. Started out years ago with Hung Fot in Maryland. I have studied TKD, both ATA and ITF, Muay Thai (which I really like a lot), and and one of the Kwons. Also studied another type of Gong Fu by an Asian GM years ago. He passed away and never appointed any students to teacher so that style died with him. I admit, I like martial arts that include weapons. Kali and Escrima are favorites to me. Oh, and I feel Judo is a necessity for anyone studying martial arts because it rounds everything out.

As I said, I'm open. I even studied Aikido for a short time but decided it was too gentle for me in the real world. I saw that there is an Aiki Jujitsu school in Austin and I'm thinking of checking it out. Oh, and I did study Krav Maga for two years but that martial art is a hit or miss depending on the school.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been looking at a Shaolin Kenpo school, a Tukong Moosul school, a Muay Thai school, a few kung fu schools, a jeet kune do school, and a few judo schools.

I have even found a decent kali school but as I will be new to the area I'm flexible.

I can recommend training with Gene Smithson without any reservations. His school is Austin Systema and Tai Chi Chuan.
Austin Systema & Tai Chi Chuan - Martial Arts North Austin
Systema Austin Martial Arts Instructor Gene Smithson

Regards
Brian King

OP
M

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just checked out the website and bookmarked it. So glad to see that they offer classes for kiddies as I have a few and finding a school where we can all go to is key.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not too sure about today, but back in 1973, there were only 4 MA schools in Austin, Tx.

Mike Atherton TKD school
Tony Martinez Kempo school
Joe Alvardo Soryu Karate school
John Wang Peishaolin Kung Fu Institute

$60 for 3 months is a good price. Sorry that we may have some generation gap. :D

Peishaolin-Kung-Fu-school.jpg

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not too sure about today, but back in 1973, there were only 4 MA schools in Austin, Tx.

Mike Atherton TKD school

$60 for 3 months is a good price. Sorry that we may have some generation gap. :D

Is that last one your school? Is that still the fee, and do you still teach there? In my mind you moved to California at some point..

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is that last one your school? Is that still the fee, and do you still teach there? In my mind you moved to California at some point..
The last one was my school. I don't run commercial school any more. I live 5 months in Austin, Texas and 7 months in Pismo Beach, California (except this year).

My old sparring partner (during full contact Karate time) Joe Alvardo (Soryu Karate school) had a interview in 2013. Not sure if any of his black belt is still teaching in Austin or not.

OP
M

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Also, i found the official page and the one school that is officially sanction is about 23 minutes from Austin. It can be found on this page.

Soryu Instructors

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
M

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I don't move around a lot. Only three places in my lifetime so far. And that is the only few times I have traveled. MD, NV, CO, back to MD to care for an ailing parent. And my next move to the Austin area. Although, I may move over to Europe for a short time and convince my gf to move to South America with me.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Mdavidg. Hope you enjoy it.

Keep us posted.

OP
M

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Mdavidg. Hope you enjoy it.

Keep us posted.
Thanks but I'm not new to martialtalk. Been here for years. Just not very active lately.

Cheers,
Mark

OP
M

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Mike Atherton TKD school

Look at who I just found. I believe this is John Wang.

Combat Shuai Chiao Austin Texas

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dont know what the difference is between Mu Sool Won and Kuk Sool Won. Is one a branch-off of the other? I see his website actually mentions both.

Kuk Sool has a reputation of demanding strict obedience and not training anything outside of what they teach you. I read their student rule book once. But some branches may be less strict about it. That may or may not matter to you.

If I were to train a Korean method, which I am generally not interested in, I might drift toward Kuk Sool/mu sool. I just wouldn’t promise to give up what I’ve already trained.

OP
M

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I believe the two are different. However, the one Korean martial art that intrigues me is this one.

Tukong Moosul Martial Arts | History

Of course, soryu, jeet kune do, kajukembo, or muay thai may work for me paired with kali and a bit of judo.

OP
M

mdavidg

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Now you're speaking my language. We had a praying mantis school in CO but they have no classes for children. And, for me, this was a deal breaker.

Latest Discussions