Logging in with Firefox - FYI

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
ohhh I cracked a rib on this one. "might need someday" That's just too funny,

After over 25 years working for the state, I have run into similar things many times.....one that comes to mind was the "Mission critical" Dbase iii that we were evll for not transferring to a new XP box

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
ha ha ha. I just looked that up and I got depressing when I thought about using that thing. Ebay has some for $500 if you are missing the old days.
My first computer was an Apple II. Green Screen. I don't remember it doing much. Not sure what it was used for. It had a printer that feed paper with a wheel with pins on it. I think the family upgraded to an Apple IIgs when I was in the 7th grade. Can't remember doing much on that one either lol. Still trying to figure out how this game benefited me lol.
My first computer was a TI-99a with an analog tape drive and a 300 baud modem. We had an apple 2 at school where we were learning to program in basic.

The 486dx was the first computer I actually used for something productive. My wife and I were just barely married, both in college, and we bought it on a "no interest for 2 years" deal from a furniture store.

A few years before that, when I was stationed in Germany, some guys were buying computers. The Amiga seems like it was way ahead of either the apples or PC based computers and a lot of guys had those. Only thing I ever did on one was play Sid Meier's Pirates. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first computer was a TI-99a with an analog tape drive and a 300 baud modem. :)

TRS-80 Model 1. Cassette tape drive. 8K RAM.
Remember being able to push buttons on your touch-tone phone to fake a modem connection?

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Remember being able to push buttons on your touch-tone phone to fake a modem connection?
In the '80's I had a friend who ran a BBS on his only phone line and there was just enough time to get a call in to his (voice) phone when the BBS reset after a dropped connection. I got to where I could whistle to "connect" at 1200baud very accurately!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lol. .I forgot all about those. I didn't know people actually bought those. I'm starting to think computers were scarce in the South East USA. I have only seen that type of computer in computer magazines.

The younger generation just don't know how good they have it with today's tech lol

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ah, the old Trash 80...

So funny. Here's something I actually just ran across a few weeks ago while cleaning up my office. I think it's from around 1992 or '93.

2021_01_22 10_25 AM Office Lens.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is actually the easy way to steal password. The only thing a hacker would need is an old password, because it's most like the same one that you use on multiple sites.

Each membership is tided to an email address. so if you have the password to MT then a hacker can gain access to your email that you used to register with. Now he has 2 important pieces of information. An email address and password that is probably used more than once.

If your email ends with gmail.com then they know where to go to log in. Once they get in there can see the other sites that you have memberships with. If you get emails from a bank then they know what back you using and one password unlocks all kingdoms.

Hacking someone should be an offense punishable by life in prison with no parole, no computer and no food.

Easy, peasy, Japaneasy.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hacking someone should be an offense punishable by life in prison with no parole, no computer and no food.

Easy, peasy, Japaneasy.
Many people who are good in hacking sometimes find their way into the government employment even if they broke a law. I guess the thought, is "better to have them working for us than against us." I'm not sure where I stand on that. I can see the benefits of using their knowledge to plug the security holes in our systems, but there's a part of me who wants to put them on an island with no tech. I wouldn't even give them a wheel or a knife. Abuse it then lose it.

I've been hacked before twice now. Once in my personal life and another through a company that I worked for. Both were distasteful. For that person attack that I got, I'm thankful that the year was 1995. But the experience was such an invasion that I pretty much don't trust anything dealing with tech or computers, which is ironic because I work in a tech industry, which hasn't made me want to trust it more.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
HTTP vs HTTPS

Main thing, HTTPS is encrypted and HTTP is not
For the more geeky among us
HTTP is unsecured while HTTPS is secured.
HTTP sends data over port 80 while HTTPS uses port 443.
HTTP operates at application layer, while HTTPS operates at transport layer.
No SSL certificates are required for HTTP, with HTTPS it is required that you have an SSL certificate and it is signed by a CA.

Latest Discussions