Light body etc...

M

Machine

I just watched the Kung Fu movie with David Carradene and was wondering about some of the training methods. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do the light body on rice paper without rice paper? I can't afford it as it's very expensive here and want to train at this. Any suggestions will be helpful.
How about balancing on small cups or something of that sort? Is that a worthwhile training device? How about anything you guys do that is considered odd that has positive effects on your kung fu regardless of style?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My sigung has studied "lightfoot techniques" and is pretty amazing at them. Personaly I haven't done any study of that as it is generally considered a master art, and I'm still wanting to master my techniques in Kung Fu. I don't know much about the training regiment used for lightfoot, but I have seen him do tam tui's on a styrophome cup before!! I would say that those techniques are building upon years and years of mastering basic techniques. I wouldn't seek out lightfoot for quite a while now. He lived and trained at the Wah Lum Temple in Orlando Florida for many years, that I believe is where he studied lightfoot. It really is amazing to see though!!

7sm

OP
T

theneuhauser

Hi, running with weights on your ankles is a good starting point. make the weights progressively heavier over a few months and you will find that when you finally take the weights off, that you really glide across the ground when you move. the other aspect to light feet is balance. train your balance any way you see fit. ithink taij balance stuff is good, also, walking on the plum blossom(?) poles is good for balance, you can practice forms on them.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by theneuhauser

Hi, running with weights on your ankles is a good starting point. make the weights progressively heavier over a few months and you will find that when you finally take the weights off, that you really glide across the ground when you move. the other aspect to light feet is balance. train your balance any way you see fit. ithink taij balance stuff is good, also, walking on the plum blossom(?) poles is good for balance, you can practice forms on them.

Have you ever used the iron rings on your wrists when training? Alot of Hung Gar people use them, they are weighted and they condition the forearms too. I've never really trained much with them, but some of my buddies do alot.

7sm

OP
T

theneuhauser

i havent, but i think its a great skill set. better than using dumbells, but i havent had the opportunity. southern mantis and southern dragon develop that too.

Latest Discussions