LGBT artists

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The only thing I can see is I know some people are uncomfortable rolling around with people of the opposite sex. There was a wrestler on my team in Middle School (18 years ago), who was pretty good, who lost to a girl because he was afraid to use half his moves because he didn't want to accidentally touch her inappropriately. Now, I'm not accusing her of cheating, and I'm not saying she couldn't have won if he had used his full arsenal. But when you're hover-handing to avoid bad touch, it is a severe handicap in the match.

Nowadays there's enough girls doing martial arts that most schools have a boys' and a girls' wrestling team. Part of this is simply the physical differences between men and women, but I think part of it is simply how close and personal you get when you're rolling around on the mat. (That's why there's all sorts of memes about ground-fighters and their orientation).

With that said, I can understand being a little uncomfortable having that much contact with someone who might be attracted to me, but I'm not attracted to them.

But unless they do do something inappropriate, that's my problem to deal with and I shouldn't punish them for it.
Osu, I understand what you are saying and I appreciate that you ended your post by saying 'that is my problem to deal with' because that is, imho, very true. It is not fair to project our own 'issues' onto someone who is basically just living their life.

I can also understand your statements around inappropriate touching but it has been my experience that if there is any inappropriate contact when rolling, a quick apology usually resolves the entire issue if both parties acknowledge it was accidental. Accidental contact can happen against a man or woman by the way so think of how you would resolve it if it were a man and chances are there will be no ill feelings if you apologize and move on. If she is uncomfortable with you moving forward, you probably won't be rolling with her any longer.

In either case, their sex life or sexual preference has really nothing to do with an interest in MA. Their sex MAY have something to do with it but that would be, for me, only if there was a question of prizes awarded in a competition. I think is fair for men and women to be segregated in this respect.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Osu, I understand what you are saying and I appreciate that you ended your post by saying 'that is my problem to deal with' because that is, imho, very true. It is not fair to project our own 'issues' onto someone who is basically just living their life.

I can also understand your statements around inappropriate touching but it has been my experience that if there is any inappropriate contact when rolling, a quick apology usually resolves the entire issue if both parties acknowledge it was accidental. Accidental contact can happen against a man or woman by the way so think of how you would resolve it if it were a man and chances are there will be no ill feelings if you apologize and move on. If she is uncomfortable with you moving forward, you probably won't be rolling with her any longer.

In either case, their sex life or sexual preference has really nothing to do with an interest in MA. Their sex MAY have something to do with it but that would be, for me, only if there was a question of prizes awarded in a competition. I think is fair for men and women to be segregated in this respect.

To be fair, this was a kid not even a teenager who is just learning about what is and isn't appropriate, and doesn't yet have the skills to deal with those kinds of things yet.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don’t have a problem with LGBT members....but LSU fans I draw the line at.

Latest Discussions