Leopard Kung Fu

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This fist is the same as the Jow Ga fist. It can be at any angle. In terms of fist formation, it allows the practitioner to do a wide range of fist strikes without having to adjust the fingers much. Some times I'll rotate it like a boxers jab, other time it comes in at an angle.
Thats cool while I love collecting animal techniques i also enjoy doing the variations of them so inverted leopard or whatever but I try to separate it all since I've seen different animal techniques in different systems be called different things. I saw what I called a turtle fist being called Elephant so yeah always complicated haha

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That make sense from the image it doesn't look tucked like a normal fist so is it more on the side of the hand than wrapped under like a typical jab is?
I often refer to it as the "door knocking fist" Because that's the natural fist that most of us would make if asked to knock on a door. The striking knuckles are the same knuckles that are used when knocking on the door. This is the same structure of how the fist is made. The only exception is that this fist is loose.

1665264673478.png

This is how the fist is made

This is how you hit someone with it. It has a larger impact area which makes it idea for striking the head even though we aim for softer areas on the head.
1665265224504.png

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Lama fist looks cool! It reminds me of something called the sun fist. Although the sun fist was vertical and kept the thumb tucked like most are use to. But the relaxed two smaller fingers applies
The fist we use in Lama Pai is just closed and the thumb is on the top and out of the way, sometimes we'll extend the middle knuckle into lung tao for using with forward fist positioned punches

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thats cool while I love collecting animal techniques i also enjoy doing the variations of them so inverted leopard or whatever but I try to separate it all since I've seen different animal techniques in different systems be called different things. I saw what I called a turtle fist being called Elephant so yeah always complicated haha
I think the naming convention is based on the culture and what was going on around that time. For example, the reason I call it a "Knocking Fist" is because it's the shape that most people make when they knock on a door or wall. If I tell a student to knock on on the wall then their fist is 90% formed. They just need to tighten it a little and maybe bend the thumb. They also understand which knuckles can be used to strike with because they have used them to knock on things be it a door

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I often refer to it as the "door knocking fist" Because that's the natural fist that most of us would make if asked to knock on a door. The striking knuckles are the same knuckles that are used when knocking on the door. This is the same structure of how the fist is made. The only exception is that this fist is loose.

View attachment 29059

This is how the fist is made

This is how you hit someone with it. It has a larger impact area which makes it idea for striking the head even though we aim for softer areas on the head.
View attachment 29060
I see that makes alot of sense! Yeah it seems similar to what I was told was the cup choy other than that and this one I haven't seen other styles use it necessarily

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The fist we use in Lama Pai is just closed and the thumb is on the top and out of the way, sometimes we'll extend the middle knuckle into lung tao for using with forward fist positioned punches
That's really cool. I honestly hadn't heard of Lama fist before this. I've heard of many technique names but this is definitely new

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think the naming convention is based on the culture and what was going on around that time. For example, the reason I call it a "Knocking Fist" is because it's the shape that most people make when they knock on a door or wall. If I tell a student to knock on on the wall then their fist is 90% formed. They just need to tighten it a little and maybe bend the thumb. They also understand which knuckles can be used to strike with because they have used them to knock on things be it a door

Yeah that makes sense. I've heard a few ideas on why some are named as such. That's a cool way to look at it. At the end of the day they are names for just hand shapes so I try not to get to caught into it but it helps with the mindset also. See now in the way you use it that can help a ton and save a lot of time correcting them. I'm not saying the other names are bad but this is useful for people since we all know how to knock.

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I plan on asking my Xing Yi instructor to teach me some leopard forms. He said there was a few he knew and a 5 animal form so I'll see if once I get it down a good enough way I'll post it as well.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense. I've heard a few ideas on why some are named as such. That's a cool way to look at it. At the end of the day they are names for just hand shapes so I try not to get to caught into it but it helps with the mindset also. See now in the way you use it that can help a ton and save a lot of time correcting them. I'm not saying the other names are bad but this is useful for people since we all know how to knock.
One of the punches in the system that I use was named from a Sailor's activity on a boat, that is done to hoist sales. To this day I still don't know what that looks like. I don't sail lol. and I think the Sailor's technique is no longer used.

check

Last edited:
OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One of the punches in the system that I use was named from a Sailor's activity on a boat, that is done to hoist sales. To this day I still don't know what that looks like. I don't sail lol. and I think the Sailor's technique is no longer used.

check
That's pretty cool. Yeah I wouldn't know either haha. Then again alot of the internal styles seem to have unique names usually for the same reason mentioned. Or just describing what their doing in a cooler mysterious way to current day people.

is this the book?
Screenshot_20221010-101104_Chrome.jpg

Speaking of Xing Yi. Around 6:20 he mentions using the elements with his Yi. Hahe you heard of this skill? I can't say I've quit heard of it in how he seems to apply it. For me the training was more mind set based

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
It looks a bit similar shaped to the Lama Fist if not just a leopard fist hitting on the same part of the hand as a ridge hand? I assume it's used in a shorter range hooking motion to the temple mainly right?
Yes. It's from the Tiger Crane Paired Fist (Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen), driving the ridge of the knuckles into both sides of the temples, intending to damage the skull, brain, and/or ears.

Try it on yourself. It hurts just putting the leopard fist knuckles on those points. Now imagine getting slammed on both sides (or even one). That's a very sensitive area and the skull is weak. It's definitely one of the more dangerous techniques, you can seriously injure or kill someone this way (which is probably why it's one of Wong Fei Hungs "10 Special/Killing Hands").

Here's a slightly different version.

1665419353994.png

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. Yeah I wouldn't know either haha. Then again alot of the internal styles seem to have unique names usually for the same reason mentioned. Or just describing what their doing in a cooler mysterious way to current day people.

is this the book?
View attachment 29074

Speaking of Xing Yi. Around 6:20 he mentions using the elements with his Yi. Hahe you heard of this skill? I can't say I've quit heard of it in how he seems to apply it. For me the training was more mind set based

Yes. That is the book.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. It's from the Tiger Crane Paired Fist (Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen), driving the ridge of the knuckles into both sides of the temples, intending to damage the skull, brain, and/or ears.

Try it on yourself. It hurts just putting the leopard fist knuckles on those points. Now imagine getting slammed on both sides (or even one). That's a very sensitive area and the skull is weak. It's definitely one of the more dangerous techniques, you can seriously injure or kill someone this way (which is probably why it's one of Wong Fei Hungs "10 Special/Killing Hands").

View attachment 29075
There is the double rams horn punch similar to this in our Yang Long form.

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score

View attachment 29075
I see so it's essentially just a Leopards paw but both hands hooking to the temple. Not necessarily a different hand shape?

That sounds really cool now I just gotta find the other 9 ahaha. Are the 10 killing hands all leopard?

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes. That is the book.
Great I'll give it a look!
There is the double rams horn punch similar to this in our Yang Long form.
That's cool. I have learned an "ram" technique it wad called rams head. If I remember right it was more or less a Downward horizontal fist strike. Not sure if it's any way similar to what you call a ram based technique

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see so it's essentially just a Leopards paw but both hands hooking to the temple. Not necessarily a different hand shape?

That sounds really cool now I just gotta find the other 9 ahaha. Are the 10 killing hands all leopard?
You can do the same strike with normal fists, but that particular area of the sides of the skull are well suited for the wedge shaped baoquan (generally it's not a great fist pattern for striking a hard surface but good for soft spots like the ribs, jaw, side of head etc. But you can also use cup choy and bomb the ears with the flat/heart inside side of the hand, which starts to approximate an overhand.

The 10 hands are a mix of animals/elements, they're all found in the first two Hung Ga Kuen fist sets. A couple are Dragon, a couple are Tiger, one Leopard, and one Crane, some Metal. One is a particularly useful body weight sacrifice throw.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

is this the book?
View attachment 29074

Change the hardness of the bone is a load of crap, unless him saying that was to change the mindset of the person he's doing against that. Anyone who does that forearm conditioning exercise knows that the pain gradually gets worse. I would have been more impressed if he started with it hurting to then moving to where it doesn't hurt. The other thing about that is the angle at which the strike occurs will determine if it lands on the soft part of the arm or the on the bone.

Based on his youtube channel it looks like he's more into fitness than into Martial Arts.

Latest Discussions