Leopard Kung Fu

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks! Does That instructor do Leopard?
I'll look into it thanks! I have I think 2 Xing Yi books so I'll enjoy getting another
Well it’s not just Xing Yi, it’s also Bagua Zhang and Tai Chi Chuan instructors being interviewed. My Sifu and Sigung are also in it because Jess the author is one of my training brothers.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
View attachment 29033

I’m Facebook friends with Charles Russo. Great guy. Look into Gus Hoefling as well. He was one of Sifu Woo‘s first set of students.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
My only issue is they don’t show his feet.
They do for the others animals/elements, for some reason when they get to Leopard, it's left to the imagination. That particular video is such a simple subset.

I think that's meant to emphasize the fist, but again the hind legs are super important in Leopard style. A lot of the strikes are whipping techniques with cupped hands, that don't rely on upper body strength, but lower body, which makes sense given the combination of strength and quickness motifs.

Here's video of 5 Animals footwork, including Leopard technique, in southern Tiger Crane.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They do for the others animals/elements, for some reason when they get to Leopard, it's left to the imagination. That particular video is such a simple subset.

I think that's meant to emphasize the fist, but again the hind legs are super important in Leopard style. A lot of the strikes are whipping techniques with cupped hands, that don't rely on upper body strength, but lower body, which makes sense given the combination of strength and quickness motifs.

Here's video of 5 Animals footwork, including Leopard technique, in southern Tiger Crane.

He makes that stuff look easy.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

That form is ubiquitous in southern CMA, not just Hung Gar but Mr. Liu just looks great in those days.

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well it’s not just Xing Yi, it’s also Bagua Zhang and Tai Chi Chuan instructors being interviewed. My Sifu and Sigung are also in it because Jess the author is one of my training brothers.
I see thank you! Ill be sure to check it out it sounds very interesting

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Wow thats very cool!

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Come to think of it is it a blue covered book? I might have a copy of it

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I cross trained the white ape system, I have learned:

1. cat jump - block opponent's punch. hop in and punch him.
2. tiger hop - hop in and punch your opponent.
3. monkey dodge - block oponent's punch, dodge under his arm, spin your body, and elbow strike on his chest.
4. eagle flip - block your opponent one arm up. block his other arm up. punch his chest.

1 and 2 are similar. Since it covers a great distance, it can surprise your opponent big time.

The long fist basic training form "Lian Bu Quan" came from Shaolin dragon form. It has the dragon spirit.

The parying mantis training form "little swallow and tiger" has both swallow and tiger spirit.
Would you know where to read more on these? It's very interesting and probably one of the more subtle or what some may consider not as interesting but to me it's well like the spirit of the system haha.

So since the leopard and tiger tend to look then turn the body and from what I was taught the monkey does it all at once. If I didn't misread this message would the other animals have a different way of turning the body like for example X animal turns the body then the head (probably not very wise) just wondering since it's not often talked about since these are the subtle things learned

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just remembered i was taught a "leopard kick" orginally i thought it was just a bad side kick but i was told its a leopard kick and the target is the knee. The goal is to essentially dislodge the knee cap to some degree or something simalar. Sorry for the poor quality it isn't an easy angle to do haha. Anyone else know any unique techniques from the leopard style? I kinda started to enjoy this kick since it may look odd but it's meant to destroy the knee from a short range.

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Come to think of it I remember there being an application of the leopard fist using it not like a jab but more hooking instead then hitting with just the knuckles so its more or less a slicing action against the softer muscles

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Attachments

• 20221007_070415.jpg
    20221007_070415.jpg
    820.2 KB · Views: 25

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Come to think of it I remember there being an application of the leopard fist using it not like a jab but more hooking instead then hitting with just the knuckles so its more or less a slicing action against the softer muscles
What would be the benefit of this versus another strike? The only instance where I could see it more useful then a ridgehand would be as a strike to the eye where you can't really hit with the side of your hand. And even then, phoenix eye or poison thumb (though personally not a fan of poison thumb), would work better.

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What would be the benefit of this versus another strike? The only instance where I could see it more useful then a ridgehand would be as a strike to the eye where you can't really hit with the side of your hand. And even then, phoenix eye or poison thumb (though personally not a fan of poison thumb), would work better.
I was mainly taught to use it against the bicep the idea is it would tear the muscle or just damage it in a different way.

Since I only have two hands this was the best way to film it lmao. New video by Sifu - Myers

Also I'm not sure if I've heard of poison thumb how would it be applied?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was mainly taught to use it against the bicep the idea is it would tear the muscle or just damage it in a different way.
Huh. I've learnt a leopard paw as a direct strike against the bicep, which definitely hurts if you can pull it off. Not sure how slicing it would work though-will have to experiment at the dojo tonight.

OP
C

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Huh. I've learnt a leopard paw as a direct strike against the bicep, which definitely hurts if you can pull it off. Not sure how slicing it would work though-will have to experiment at the dojo tonight.
Yeah I think In general I've seen a few leopard strikes to the bicep the other i heard was called cup choy. Seems to be a partially closed fist uses in a Slapping like motion. Let me know how it goes! I'd say it's most likely best used in short range

Latest Discussions