Length of average street fight and training

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Expect the worse case scenario your mind can come up with and train to prepare for it. Then when anything comes up less than what you're prepared for it doesn't become as big of a deal. It's the old "set a goal higher than the objective" principle.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
Expect the worse case scenario your mind can come up with and train to prepare for it. Then when anything comes up less than what you're prepared for it doesn't become as big of a deal. It's the old "set a goal higher than the objective" principle.
I can see the value in that principle but isn't that raising expectations to the point of failure? With the fights I've been in my goal has always been to end it as quickly as possible and be done with it all (and hopefully walk away) with as minimal hurt to both parties as possible.
I personally choose the path of acceptance rather expectations to minimize my own personal (internal) hurt. I don't like hurting people but realize, like many others, that it's sometimes necessary to prevent further hurt. If I have to break an arm or a leg to stop my attacker from causing me (or my companion) from harm then so be it. Mostly I'll be looking to knock the wind out of them long enough to get away or at least a incapacitating :btg: :D
A fight as as much mental (and emotional) as it is physical. It always has an aftermath that ranges widely from one degree to another. When a person sets a goal and doesn't achieve it they will feel a sense of loss or emptiness because internally their expectations weren't met. To me that's what goals are; a level of expectations to achieve an objective.
Setting an objective with the minimal amount of expectations and the highest degree of acceptance seems to be the way to go IMHO. :idunno: Mebbe I'm just rambling here.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I would like to share some thoughts on this, after reading a lot of books by Marc 'the animal Macyoung and others.

Most of the experts say only seconds because the person who throws the first blows will continune hitting the other person who was not expecting a abarge of blast. The adrenline will kick and in and you will be exhaust very fast, natural way of giving us a fight or flee response.

It seems most fight are very short. High School kids up to College kids than to fight more boxing style because of the way they see peope fight. There fights will last a little longer because of the exchange of punches only.

Street fighter/Bullies know how to destroy you and these fights will last for seconds. From chairs to bottles,kicks,head butts, and all the other stuffs for NO Rules with anything goes....More combat style for survival.

Everyfight will be different and no such thing as a fair fight! It seems the key is to end the fight as quickly as possible and make sure the other person cannot fight back when it is over? No one wants to go to Jail so know you laws and when to run away.

Learn to avoid, descalate and leave....watch your EGO and don't let it make you do dump things like trying to be tough back! We only have one life and you may want to grow older?