Learning TKD alone, from zero

Matan

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Matan.

I wanted to learn TKD, and i was looking through some forums/web sites until i found this forum.

I would like to learn TKD, but there is no TKD in my city. the nearest place i have for TKD is a city 4 hours from here, and i'm 15, which leave me which the choice of learning TKD alone. I tried to look for some videos, but none of them says what to do and how, they just do that so i can't really learn it. if anyone have any idea how can i learn TKD, or if he can learn me him self, it would be great.

Please help me, Matan.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As you've already found out, learning from videos doesn't work. Training in a new style from scratch on your own is a nearly impossible task and difficult to become very good that way.

Sorry your city doesn't have a TKD dojaang. Perhaps for now, maybe put your focus in a different martial arts. That will give you some background and experience. Perhaps when the time comes that you do have a TKD school (either in your city someday or when you go to college/university), you could start TKD then. Your martial arts background will help you in many ways when you begin training TKD in the future.

It is possible there might be an inactive TKD instructor somewhere nearby who might consider taking you on as a student or maybe one who might already be "teaching out of the garage". You could try checking around on that (some might advertise on bulletin boards or by word of mouth).

I suggest you check on other options that are closer and available to you.

- Ceicei

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Ceicei on this one - and that's after 19 years of TKD; I practice alone, but when I learn new things, I still do it with my instructor. Look around - there could easily be someone who doesn't advertise. Otherwise, look around the forum - there is lots of information about which arts are similar to each other; maybe you could find something similar that would suit your interest.

OP
M

Matan

White Belt
Reaction score
I do not realy have any other options.
My town is really small and everyons actualy know everyone,
so there is no instructer in my town.

Also, there isn't actualy any martial arts place/trainers in this city.
I walk around every day, you can actualy walk, just walk, for 30 minutes and it is enough time to travel the all city.
So unless i'm gonna learn it through the internet, there is no way i will learn it, not until i will move to another city/college.

Also, if someone teach me through the internet, i do not belive it is impossibe. There is online cameras and microphone, that can actualy make it easy if anyone will want to teach me...

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello Matan, welcome to MartialTalk---it's good to have you with us. I feel bad that your options are so limited. I agree with Ceicei and Kacey on the practicalities of the thing... so here's my idea. Is there any way that during the holiday season you could arrange to take a few days' trip to this place you mentioned that is 4 hours off and take a few classes at one of the TKD places there? Explain to the instructor what your situation is and start up with some of the basics. Work on those and try to arrange another trip for sometime early in the New Year, and so on. It would give you a chance to get proper instructions, so you weren't spinning your wheels, and eventually, when your circumstances change and you're more mobile, would give you a foundation for more advanced work; and you'd have the feeling, meanwhile, of doing some training that you could keep up with at home.

I understand the desire to `get to work' and get some real training in a chosen MA under your belt---but striking out on your own, without the oversight and guidance of a competent instructor, can lead you into a lot of difficulties. My idea has you at least doing a bit of supervised instruction that you can use as the basis of practice at home, and lays some of the groundwork for the next phase, when you're able to get around better. It's not perfect, I know, but it could be a start. Best of luck on your quest...

OP
M

Matan

White Belt
Reaction score
I am afraid that will not be possbile eather.
My father haev some issues, he think i am a little girl or something, he is not allowing me to travel anywhere alone, and he does not want to travel to there, i already asked.

Also, the place that teach TKD 4 hours away from my city, is actualy a college soemthing, so i do not think it will be that easy just get them to teach me for 2 month. I do not really know how much money it cost, but i do not have much sense i am not working, so if it is i am guessing it would be a problem too.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matan I have been involved in Martialk Aers for over forty years and in TKD since 1982 and no way can one teach themself the Art or sport of TKD. I do feel sorry you have no real place to train, but even by video one cannot correct and teach without being there.

What city are you in and maybe we all can help with seminars and such that might be close enough for you to make.
Terry

OP
M

Matan

White Belt
Reaction score
I live in Eilat, in Israel
which is the smallest city in Israel(and the quietest)

Latest Discussions