first seminar

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going to my first seminar. What is the etiquette? This will not be held at a dojo where I am a student. Should I take notes? How can I go about getting the most out of this? Should I wear a gi? It is held at a traditional school but the guy giving the seminar is a well known MMA guy. I just saw a poster up at the school as I was driving by and will stop in tomorrow and talk to the instructor, and see what's up. So, any suggestions? What questions do I need to ask?

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just be respectful. I would suggest treating him with the same respect as you head instructor, but remember that this person isn't an idol, just a talented martial artist and teacher.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
lonecoyote

IMHO I think that going to a seminar can be a great way for you to get some added experience from a different instructor or in a different martial art. I have attended many different types of martial art seminars over the years, some in tradtional martial arts, filipino martial arts, JKD, Kobudo, Aikijujitsu, Kenpo, karate, and others. They all are different and you can do different things at each of them (etiquette wise and all). Here are my suggestions.

1) By all means stop by and talk to the instructor and ask him what the proper etiquette will be for the seminar. Should you wear your gi and rank or should you wear a white belt (if it is not your primary system). The hosting instructor can give advice on this and you can ask in such a way as to be respectful to him and not sound like a complete idot or a braggart. In fact talking to the insitrcutor and being pleasent and respectful can generally help you out in other ways as well (who knows he might assign on of his students to work with you, or introduce you to the instructor who is teaching etc. etc.).

2) Should you take notes? This is a hard one to answer. Normally I really advocate taking notes, in fact I taken a bunch (pages upon pages of them). However in the grappling areas I have taken very few. Because grappling is hard to really get a handle on especially if you aren't normally in the grappling art. In that area you might be better off just trying to experience the seminar and try and pick up what few techniques you can. Also with taking notes it helps if you have a short hand system already worked out ahead of time. Also it might be improper (again ask the host instructor).

As a side note I once met a guy who was a sketch artist (he drew for fun) and he drew sketches of grapling techniques as the instructor was teaching. Man I wish I had that talent :) . That was the best form of note taking for grappling I have seen. He could have illustrated a book, not super detailed but his style allowed for a very clear picture of what the technique was. And of course he filled it in during breaks and such.

3) How to get the most of the seminar? Arrive on time or early for that matter. Be cool to whomever you work with. Don't try and counter the techniques the instructor is teaching or work on your own system when you should be working on what the instructor is teaching. On a side note I've run into this several times, instead of working on what the instructor is showing, seminar participants are doing thier own thing. I've seen completely different drills / techniques being done by other BB instructors instead of what the teacher is showing. Sorry I'll get off of my soap box. :soapbox:

Instead "empty your cup" and try and enjoy your self. Be nice and respectful, pleasent, non confrontational (about whose system is better etc. etc.), don't be a know it all.

Bring some extra money in case they have videos, shirts or something like that to buy (if you are interested, this is another way for the host or the visiting instructor to meet their expenses). Also maybe bring something for a snack to eat / drink (if it will be a long one). Maybe a camera (if it's allowed). And if you could bring a training buddy so you can work on the material after the seminar.

Or you might want to set up one (training buddy) to work with immediatly after the seminar and better yet video tape what you remember of the material you covered. The sooner the better.

Oh well I hope I have given you some decent advice on how to have a good time at the seminar. Please post a review of it when it's over.

With respect
Mark

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
I'm thinking of going to my first seminar. What is the etiquette?

Looks like you've already had some great advice given to you. I'll give a few thoughts. As for etiquette- Be as respectful as you can. I've gone to alot of seminars are I've always been treated with respect from the students there, so its only right to return what you're getting.

Should I take notes?

Definately!! Chances are there will be alot of material covered, so write down some quick, shorthand notes. You can always re-write them later.

How can I go about getting the most out of this?

Give it 100%!! Again, there most likely will be alot of stuff covered. Even if you don't remember everything, at least take a few things, and work them hard. Chances are, if you attend another seminar at this school, you may see some things that look familiar.

Should I wear a gi?

When you register for the seminar, that info. should be on the sheet. If not, call the school hosting the event and inquire.

It is held at a traditional school but the guy giving the seminar is a well known MMA guy. I just saw a poster up at the school as I was driving by and will stop in tomorrow and talk to the instructor, and see what's up. So, any suggestions? What questions do I need to ask?

Questions that need to be asked- cost, what to wear, does any training equipment need to be brought, etc.

Most of all, enjoy yourself! Seminars/camps are a great place to learn, meet new people and learn new things! Have a great time!!!

Mike

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
Be very respectful, if the instructor calls upon you, bow in, say "yes sir/maam" or vice versa. Just act as you would in class, respectful. I'd recommend taking notes, it'll come handy in the future. Seminars are a great way to learn about other aspects of martial arts, so take advantage of it, and have fun!

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Notice the common thread running through these posts about being respectful. Same with taking notes.

Although I can't stress enough that it would be wise to have a short hand system down prior to going to the seminar so you can write fast. Then during breaks fill out the gaps in your notes.

Mark

OP
L

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Boar Man, MJS, Kamaria, Aaron, OULobo, I appreciate the great replies and the ideas will be a lot of help. I stopped in and talked to the owner/instructor of the school where the seminar will be held today and was really impressed. It is a TKD school where the owner is incorporating grappling and MMA in the adult classes. The topic will be submission grappling, holds and training techniques. I have to clear the cost of it with the family checkbook, but this looks great. The Seminar is to last four hours. If I can make it, and believe me, I will try, I will let everyone know how it went. Thanks again.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Great thread, and very timely. I will be attending my first seminar next month when Datu Kelly Worden comes to town, so this answers many things for me.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander

That sounds cool. I've never met Datu Worden but I have wanted to. I've seen his Connecting the Systems series and his Wind and Rock tapes (way cool by the way) .

Please let post about what was covered.

Mark

A

Aaron Little

If it is an MMA/Submission grappling seminar then don't wear a gi, do take notes and make sure to bring an open mind.

Latest Discussions