Learning in unexpected ways

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Out of my boredom I have started messing with the Cane (thanks Drac) and I have got to tell you I have learned a lot about the Dao, particularly the internal, which surprised me. And this will transfer to my empty hand form as well once I can do it again.

Anyone else learn about something in a way they did not expect?

All styles are welcome to respond, you don't have to be CMA.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sort of. I've been practicing standing on one foot, mostly because there's no place to sit where I have to put my shoes on.

I started off very wobbly, then achieved some measure of success by standing taller, focusing on the floor under the foot, and dropping (or inflating) the sacrum.

The other day, I just focused on what my hands were doing with the non-supporting foot (the one I'm holding up) and there it was -- natural and straightforward. I never thought of ignoring the supporting structure before.

Although I still need to inflate the sacrum if I get wobbly.

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sort of. I've been practicing standing on one foot, mostly because there's no place to sit where I have to put my shoes on.

I started off very wobbly, then achieved some measure of success by standing taller, focusing on the floor under the foot, and dropping (or inflating) the sacrum.

The other day, I just focused on what my hands were doing with the non-supporting foot (the one I'm holding up) and there it was -- natural and straightforward. I never thought of ignoring the supporting structure before.

Although I still need to inflate the sacrum if I get wobbly.

I do this, as well. Tying my shoes is where it seems to get more difficult for me. I never thought about ignoring my standing foot though, thats in interesting concept that I'll have to try!

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It only works after having spent enough time focusing on the standing foot, it seems. Focus, then forget? :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good post, thanks. As one gets older it is only natural, to lose some of your youthful speed, reflexes, and strength. It is a known fact that technique will over come the above. I have found that technique takes many forms, and not just from our particular art. We should be aware of our everyday movements, from when we get up in the morning, until we hit the hay at night. Mograph, touched on it a little with the one leg stand. I try to carry it a bit further by monitoring all of my movements through out the day. The way I carry myself, weight distribution, posture, distancing while interacting with people, all helps. I read some where that martial arts was a 24/7 life style, and I can only think that this is what was meant by it. I hope this post fits in with " Learning in unexpected ways" thread starter. :asian:

oxy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if this counts, but I just [re-]learnt this yesterday.

With all the focus on root, fajin, leverage, structure and to a lesser extent, attacks to the eyes, throat or groin or appendage twisting - all this as a result of an evolutionary arms race between and in-between styles, especially with all the grappling stuff, we forget to mention the other stuff, like twisting/mashing of ears, breaking of the nose, pressing a knuckle into the armpit region, jab into the bellybutton. Stuff that won't cause disabilities or give boasting rights (eg I'm more rooted than you) but nonetheless very effective (great pain, no skill, repairable injuries).

These things can be the difference to saving your life.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool subject!!!

I think that in studying swordsmanship I greatly improved my ability to apply effective joint-locks. The reason? The use of motion in the entire body! If you've ever swung a sword to try to cut cleanly through something, you know you cannot just use your wrists & arms, but all the way down the trunk and the legs and the feet. Transferring this to empty hand techniques (strikes) was an easy, rather straightforward translation. But when I thought of the use of the WHOLE body in transferring power into locks and holds, even chokes....my power and control increased exponentially on a level I never got from JUST doing those locks and holds in and of themselves.

Your Brother
John

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Cool subject!!!

I think that in studying swordsmanship I greatly improved my ability to apply effective joint-locks. The reason? The use of motion in the entire body! If you've ever swung a sword to try to cut cleanly through something, you know you cannot just use your wrists & arms, but all the way down the trunk and the legs and the feet. Transferring this to empty hand techniques (strikes) was an easy, rather straightforward translation. But when I thought of the use of the WHOLE body in transferring power into locks and holds, even chokes....my power and control increased exponentially on a level I never got from JUST doing those locks and holds in and of themselves.

Your Brother
John

Cool insight. Maybe training historical weapons does have some application in modern times then, eh? =]

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool insight. Maybe training historical weapons does have some application in modern times then, eh? =]
I originally got into it just to gain the mental tranquility and "mind like calm water" that tends to come with training with a sword. The other "learning" was an unexpected fringe benefit.

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions