Lawmaker sued for allegedly groping a male legislative page...

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lawmaker sued for allegedly groping a male legislative page...

Oct 2 2007 3:45PM
Associated Press/KXMB
Excerpt:

Lawmaker sued for allegedly groping a male legislative page

FORT PIERRE, S.D. State Senator Dan Sutton of Flandreau has been sued for $250,000 in damages by former legislative page Austin Wiese (WEES), who alleges Sutton groped him in a motel room in Fort Pierre.

Wiese's lawsuit alleges two counts of sexual battery and one count of sexual assault. It's a civil lawsuit no criminal charges have been filed.

The suit claims Sutton invited Wiese to stay with him at the motel during the 2006 session.

Court documents say they shared the one bed in the room and that on three nights in a row, Sutton inappropriately touched and fondled Wiese, who then moved out of the room.http://www.kxmb.com/printArticle.asp?ViewPrintable=True&ArticleId=167702

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Quick! What political party does Dan Sutton belong to?
You cannot find this information in the article, at all. (That ought to be a BIG hint...)

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Plus being a GROWN man, he wouldn't have stayed in the bed with him for 3 nights before finally moving. And a majority of GROWN men wouldn't stay in the same bed of another! I agree Big Don, something FISHY there!!!

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
These allegations first surfaced a year ago. Mr. Sutton was re-elected after the allegations were first raised. The South Dakota Senate has already issued a censure against Mr. Sutton.

But, if one is going to point out the lack of listed party affiliation as evidence of anything (media bias, perhaps?), I think they are focusing on the wrong point of the story. Regardless, there were and are many articles in the news and on the web which were clear that Mr. Sutton was a Democrat from Flandreau, S.D.

And, by the way, this is a civil lawsuit, not a criminal proceeding, probably because the accuser was 18 at the time. The accuser isn't trying to put Mr. Sutton in jail, but rather is seeking a quarter of a million dollars. Hmm?

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Quick! What political party does Dan Sutton belong to?
You cannot find this information in the article, at all. (That ought to be a BIG hint...)
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, my friends...

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capi...ig_guilty_plea_stands_on_re.html?hpid=topnews

This is conerning Sen. Larry Craig (R-Idaho):
Craig was arrested June 11 after allegedly peering into the restroom stall at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport where an undercover officer awaited. According to the police officer, Craig entered the stall next to him, tapped his feet and bumped the foot of the officer in the other stall, then ran his hand under the partition. The prosecution contends those are well-known signals among men seeking to have sex in restroom stalls.

Edit: For the anonymous person who dinged me for posting this, allow me to respond:

Anonymous said:
Please don't try to change the subject. There are threads about Craig...do you really want this to be posted there? Both parties have this type of stuff.
I realize there are people like this on both sides of the coin. However, Don made a point to emphasize political party, so I was actually illustrating your comment. Thanks, though. Glad someone reads my posts. :D

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capi...ig_guilty_plea_stands_on_re.html?hpid=topnews

Edit: For the anonymous person who dinged me for posting this, allow me to respond:

I realize there are people like this on both sides of the coin. However, Don made a point to emphasize political party, so I was actually illustrating your comment. Thanks, though. Glad someone reads my posts. :D
Yeah, because consensual if paid for sex is the same as unwanted groping...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm sorry but impropriety among politicians is nothing new.

Makes me think of the joke that was written when that big capital/house of reps scandal over the pages happened a number of years ago....

What do congressmen use for bookmarks?

Bent over pages.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Yeah, because consensual if paid for sex is the same as unwanted groping...

Define unwanted? Once, if the guy was unconcious and woke up to (why they were in the same bed, I have no idea) is one thing. 3 nights in a row? I don't think so.

MA-Caver said:
Makes me think of the joke that was written when that big capital/house of reps scandal over the pages happened a number of years ago....

Bent over pages.

:lol: That's so not right, but funny!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I took Big Don's point to be that when a Democrat does something bad and it gets reported in the news, the reporters are likely to leave out the party affilication. As you pointed out in your link, Larry Craig has (R-Idaho) as part of his name, but Sutton's party wasn't part of the article.

It's kind of along the lines of the usage of "President Clinton" v. "Mr. Bush".

Each party has their losers, and then they have their loyalists that will somehow rationalize that their guy is actually good and misunderstood while the guy from the other party is much worse.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Each party has their losers, and then they have their loyalists that will somehow rationalize that their guy is actually good and misunderstood while the guy from the other party is much worse.
I agree completely here. What makes the news cycle now-a-days are those elements of both sides of the political spectrum that are waaaaayyy out there on the fringes while many/most in the middle of the spectrum are being forgotten about or at the least mis-represented. How long before we begin a dialog in this country about bringing everyone back to a relatively stable center instead of increasing the centrifugal force sending more and more to the outer rims? For crying out loud we've reached the point where secession is actually being considered by many as a viable alternative to what we have in place now.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I took Big Don's point to be that when a Democrat does something bad and it gets reported in the news, the reporters are likely to leave out the party affilication. As you pointed out in your link, Larry Craig has (R-Idaho) as part of his name, but Sutton's party wasn't part of the article.

It's kind of along the lines of the usage of "President Clinton" v. "Mr. Bush".

I wonder what it means that Mr. Weiss is being represented by the former four term Republican Governor of South Dakota. A guy, incidentally, without a spotless record.

This fact was also left out of the story.

hmmm?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wonder what it means that Mr. Weiss is being represented by the former four term Republican Governor of South Dakota. A guy, incidentally, without a spotless record.

This fact was also left out of the story.

hmmm?
Who the attorney is is less germane to the story than the defendant's party affiliation, especially when a republican can't break wind without the headline "Joe Republican (R-Texas) Contributes to global warming" appearing...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These allegations first surfaced a year ago. Mr. Sutton was re-elected after the allegations were first raised. The South Dakota Senate has already issued a censure against Mr. Sutton.

But, if one is going to point out the lack of listed party affiliation as evidence of anything (media bias, perhaps?), I think they are focusing on the wrong point of the story. Regardless, there were and are many articles in the news and on the web which were clear that Mr. Sutton was a Democrat from Flandreau, S.D.

And, by the way, this is a civil lawsuit, not a criminal proceeding, probably because the accuser was 18 at the time. The accuser isn't trying to put Mr. Sutton in jail, but rather is seeking a quarter of a million dollars. Hmm?
Good point!

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Who the attorney is is less germane to the story than the defendant's party affiliation, especially when a republican can't break wind without the headline "Joe Republican (R-Texas) Contributes to global warming" appearing...

You're not watching enough FoxNews, where that would be - "Joe Republican (D-TX) - Contributes to global warming."

And an attorney with an axe to grind is not germane? Really?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're not watching enough FoxNews, where that would be - "Joe Republican (D-TX) - Contributes to global warming."

And an attorney with an axe to grind is not germane? Really?
It wasn't consider germane when Ronnie Earle was going after Tom DeLay...

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry but impropriety among politicians is nothing new.

Bent over pages.

Agreed. Lots of politicians act like frat boys and jocks -- untouchable, unaccountable.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It wasn't consider germane when Ronnie Earle was going after Tom DeLay...

Gee, I didn't know that Ronnie Earle was a former Governor and Senator from Texas.

As I recall, many on the political right had nothing good to say about Mrs. Sheehan, when she protested the loss of her son. In fact, they would go so far to say her grief was contrived and she was being manipulated by liberals.

But, there is no possible way that Mr. Weiss could possibly be under the influence and manipulation of a former Republican Governor/Senator, looking to strike back at Democrats in his State.

Mr. Janklow, perhaps, has too much in Common with Mr. Kennedy from Massachusetts to be comfortable for the Right, I think.

Latest Discussions