Kyuki-do

Greg King

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was browsing Google and found this, so I thought I'd sign up and say hi.

I run A Kyukido Dojang here in Pensacola Florida. My main instructor is Wayne Hull in Salt Lake City Utah.

Welcome Red Dragon ,Good to see Another Federation Member.When i tell people i practice KyuKi-Do they say "you practice What"???

Greg King

Green Belt
Reaction score

I run A Kyukido Dojang here in Pensacola Florida. My main instructor is Wayne Hull in Salt Lake City Utah.

Welcome Red Dragon .When i tell people i practice KyuKi-Do they say "you Practice what"????Good to hear from another federation member:ultracool

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

May I ask what led you to take up Kyukido? Were you originally from Utah then moved to Florida?

- Ceicei

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would be interested in seeing some Kyuki-do in motion. Sounds interesting.

Red Dragon Kyukido

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome here guys.
My name is Eric Conley. I started taking classes from Wayne Hull under Royal West in SLC UT, mainly for the Hapkido. Thats what kept me going to that school to adventually get my black belt and open my own school here in Florida when left Utah and I moved here toPensacola in 2000.

I now have 3 Black Belts under me and 2 more within about 10 months from now. I got my 1st Dan in Kyukido in May of 99, Hapkido 1st Dan in Apr of 04 ( I think) and 2nd Dan Kyukido in April of 06.

Im pretty good friends with Ken of AKF Athens, I try to work out with him once or twice a year.

I miss being around all the other Kyukido schools and instructors, but they do show so much support to keep me going, expecially Grand Master OkYoung Kim and Wayne Hull. Its a great group of Martial Artists and I am honered to be part of the American Kyukido Federation.

Of course,,, I do have MySpace. Look for me and say Hi, www.MySpace.com/Kyukido and my regular Website is www.kkdma.com

Ill try to keep checking this quite often to keep in touch, you can never know to many other Martial Artists.

Thnaks and have a great day.
Eric Conley

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Red Dragon!

I'm originally from Elgin, IL & I've trained with a lot of folks from the "home office" for a number of years.

I look forward to your contributions here.

Red Dragon Kyukido

White Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to say Hi, Its been a while since I loggen on last.

In April, I my Dojang will be holding the next big test for 2 students advancing to Red Belt in Kyukido and 1 student in Hapkido. Then they will be testing to Black Belt in Novenber 2007.

In Nov. I will have a total of 4 students who have become Black Belts in Kyukido and 2 in Hapkido.

This is exciting to me to see students grow from White Belt to Black Belt. I learn alot from everyone in my Dojang and I appreciate all the students I have had.

Greg King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Congrats to your students!! My son attends the "Home Office" school (Kim's Black Belt Academy) in elgin Illinois hes been at it 6 years total now and will be promoting to black in May of 07.The minimum at our school from red to black is 9 months since he tested for red in march of 06 and the test was in Nov they recommended may of 07 .he just fell a little short of the 9 month requirment,plus they wanted him to "mature" i little more,which will do him good.They had a BB seminar this weekend on Sunday for BB prep ,Grand master Ok Hyung Kim was there as well as Master Steinmetz,Master Cantin,Master Jeff Kim,and Master Garrison.They were basically running the through a mock test and giving advice.They let my wife and i (6th kup greenbelts)sit in and take notes ....ok i'm rambling now.Gotta go .......Greg

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats to your students!! My son attends the "Home Office" school (Kim's Black Belt Academy) in elgin Illinois hes been at it 6 years total now and will be promoting to black in May of 07.The minimum at our school from red to black is 9 months since he tested for red in march of 06 and the test was in Nov they recommended may of 07 .he just fell a little short of the 9 month requirment,plus they wanted him to "mature" i little more,which will do him good.They had a BB seminar this weekend on Sunday for BB prep ,Grand master Ok Hyung Kim was there as well as Master Steinmetz,Master Cantin,Master Jeff Kim,and Master Garrison.They were basically running the through a mock test and giving advice.They let my wife and i (6th kup greenbelts)sit in and take notes ....ok i'm rambling now.Gotta go .......Greg

Hey Greg!

That's great about your son in May! I went to high school with Jeff Kim & know Master Garrison a bit, also. They are both good men & talented MA-ists. Soak up all ya can from them!

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Greetings to all. Just found your site. A few wandering thoughts as an intro. Have been doing Kyuki-do for about 3.5 years and finally earned my First Dan Black Belt a few weeks ago. It was a long haul even though that time frame doesn't seem long to many of you. There was a little interruption in 2020 called "open heart surgery." But, with in-nae (perseverance) it all worked out. Forgot to mention I'm 67 years old. Perseverance is my favorite of the Kyuki-do tenets. I know if I quit, there goes my health. So, I plan to "keep on truckin" and aim for the next level. I learned under the supervision and teaching of Grand Master Yun Kim, the brother of the founder of Kyuki-do. He is in his 70's and calls me "Young Man." As a means of encouraging the younger set, I had some poker chips made professionally with a reminder about perseverance. I'm attaching a foto of them. I hand them out to young students generally around their Green Belt test. For some reason, green belts are getting kinda tired of the same stuff and can't see that the fun stuff is just about to start, so they lose interest. I give them this "challenge coin" to encourage them to keep going. Their promise to me is that they'll keep on striving, no matter what life throws at them and they'll get that black belt. But, they have to give it back to me when they give up. I've only handed out 4 or 5 of them, and I give it to students that look like they need a boost. Anyway, that's enough ramblings for now.

Attachments

• Coin Back.jpg
    Coin Back.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Coin Front.jpg
    Coin Front.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 74

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Say, I'm an old guy (hence my avatar name). How do I edit my profile to change it from white belt to black?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Say, I'm an old guy (hence my avatar name). How do I edit my profile to change it from white belt to black?
You don't. That banner has nothing to do with your rank. It only indicates how active you are on the forums.

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
True. The main reason I signed up is to offer my own insights into the process of going thru the belt levels as a senior citizen and living with the Black Belt Mentality. Just recently (Tuesday night) lost one of my toenails learning Muay Thai as a part of our Black Belt Class. Normally, I am irritated by the fact that I have a bit of neuropathy in my feet, which makes it hard to balance and do some of the stances. But, it was actually a blessing this time around as there was absolutely no pain!

Latest Discussions