Kyokushin Uchi-Deshi programs or something similar?

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
I’m looking to join a martial arts Uchi-Deshi program somewhere in the United States or abroad in kyokushin or an off shoot or similar style or possibly a judo Program. Any info would be great.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe Shihan Judd Reid holds uchi deshi style camps in Thailand (more like a week camp). I think the January one is finished, so next year would have to wait for (his would be quite an experience, him having completed the uchi deshi training directly under Sosai!)

https://www.juddreid.com

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I’m willing to dedicate my life to it
Why is this so important to you? From what I remember, you haven't even tried the style yet. There's no guarantee that you will like it, or that even if you like the style, you will like the place you go to train it.

Obviously you don't have to answer/reply to any of that, but at the very least whatever place you decide on, take a 2-3 week vacation to the area to make sure you both like the area and the style. If you live in texas (I think you said that in an earlier post), and find a place in colorado, make sure you go at some point during the winter so you know if you can tolerate the cold.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why is this so important to you? From what I remember, you haven't even tried the style yet. There's no guarantee that you will like it, or that even if you like the style, you will like the place you go to train it.

Obviously you don't have to answer/reply to any of that, but at the very least whatever place you decide on, take a 2-3 week vacation to the area to make sure you both like the area and the style. If you live in texas (I think you said that in an earlier post), and find a place in colorado, make sure you go at some point during the winter so you know if you can tolerate the cold.
And make sure there are job opportunities, he is gonna need to financially support himself.

Honestly, I find the thought of complete dedication to training in a martial system to be depressing. There needs to be more to life than just that. Education, career, friends, family, recreation, travel. These things are all important, more so than just nothing more than training day-in and day-out.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And make sure there are job opportunities, he is gonna need to financially support himself.

Honestly, I find the thought of complete dedication to training in a martial system to be depressing. There needs to be more to life than just that. Education, career, friends, family, recreation, travel. These things are all important, more so than just nothing more than training day-in and day-out.
I think it depends (not knowing OP's situation, this is not targeted at him in any way). If some major tragedy happens, your wife/family die in a fire or car accident, you just got released from jail and live in a small town where everyone knows you did X, you're homeless anyway and the free time is making you crazy, finding something specific to help you rebuild your sanity/routine and focus on can absolutely help. And if you've got nothing going for you wherever you live anyway, you may want to move anyway. Just make sure to add all that other stuff-find friends, do things outside of MA, restart your career or start a new one, blah blah blah.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

People join religious orders and other sorts of things that cloister them away from society. It only appeals to some, and many try and leave. That said, if one has the financial means, I guess go for it. Not for me, but perhaps for some.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
People join religious orders and other sorts of things that cloister them away from society. It only appeals to some, and many try and leave. That said, if one has the financial means, I guess go for it. Not for me, but perhaps for some.
Yup. Everyone’s got their thing. I think it would be cool. For about 2-3 days.

Most of the modern stories I’ve heard about them are people who were high level competition prospects. Kyokushin guys who won some higher level competition and really wanted to get to that elite level. Like a European champ who was very motivated and talented and wanted to become a world champ. Nicholas Pettas comes to mind. Judd Reid too.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it depends (not knowing OP's situation, this is not targeted at him in any way). If some major tragedy happens, your wife/family die in a fire or car accident, you just got released from jail and live in a small town where everyone knows you did X, you're homeless anyway and the free time is making you crazy, finding something specific to help you rebuild your sanity/routine and focus on can absolutely help. And if you've got nothing going for you wherever you live anyway, you may want to move anyway. Just make sure to add all that other stuff-find friends, do things outside of MA, restart your career or start a new one, blah blah blah.
This is true.

However, 20 some years ago I had the fantasy of a living situation in which I was able to train all the time. training would occupy all of my attention.

With the wisdom of hindsight, I am glad it never happened.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Up my way most people do Muay Thai camps in Thailand.

Mate of mine came back from here and liked it a lot.

Pretty much the same sort of thing.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I’m looking to join a martial arts Uchi-Deshi program somewhere in the United States or abroad in kyokushin or an off shoot or similar style or possibly a judo Program. Any info would be great.
Osu, Brandon, I am not sure how old you are and that is probably an important question to answer among a few others when it comes to joining an uchi-deschi program. There are a few in the US (I know someone who participated in one). I don't know if IKO1 still has their uchi-deschi program in place as it is no longer at hombu in Japan. Judd Reid Shihan has his camp which is definitely an uchi-deschi experience for a short period of time.

I've recently come back from Poland where we had a fighter participate in the Carpathia Cup. It is a major tournament for the Eastern Europeans and they are very tough when it comes to Kyokushin. Their style was quite an eye opener for me and I am excited to see if I can adopt some of their methods as they are, as a group, very well versed in knockdown fighting and are extremely strong competitors. Even the kids were beasts.

If I was 30 years younger I would love to participate in an uchi-deschi program. Sosai Oyama's program was 1000 days and at the end, if you passed, you were considered to be one of his young lions. If you have a chance to read Judd Reid Shihan's book, you will get a glimpse of what life was like. Even a short stay had a way of changing you.

Realistically, if you are young and can dedicate some time to it (as well as resources) you can get a great experience and expect to be on your way to becoming proficient at Knockdown karate. You do not need to be an uchi-deschi to compete in knockdown but if you are not already a physical beast, it can certainly help you get there. Will will also need to a recommendation from your Sensei to get into a decent program and will most likely have to be part of the organization to be accepted as an uchi-deschi.

Latest Discussions