Kuntao Macan

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a technique from Kuntao Macan. Anyone ever seen this in other style (the knee press) ?

http://www.geocities.com/john_lord_b3/kuntao_macan.jpg

kuntao_macan.jpg

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is used a great deal in Kuntao Penjak Silat. We used that damn near everytime. Its an excellent move for not only pinning but for creating a opening to the back and side of the body closest to ya. Awesome move... Just remember to picture a blade in the left hand of that guy when ya see those kinds of things. Great pic

GuruJim1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, this technique is used in my style of Pukulan Tjiminde. We use it to turn the attack's back to us, or to knock the attacker off balance so we may follow up with a combination.

OP
J

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
hello gurujim, that's the way we're taught as well (that technique is to get the opponent's back neck).

hello Beau Safken, you're also right, we also perform this technique with knife. Thank you for the kind words.

Kuntao Macan is a mix of Crane and Tiger techniques, it runs in Mr. Khu Chen Yong's family. It's from south China. Mr. Khu's family immigrated from china long ago, now they are Indonesian citizens. Do you guys knows the lineage of your arts? Maybe your arts came from south China as well?

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Has anybody done that move while sparring a resisting oponent?

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
Has anybody done that move while sparring a resisting oponent?
Sort of. The pic shows the use of the knee to break base, similiar to a Silat Serak method called a "Naga", which I use when the opportunity arises once in awhile during sparring. The main difference for me is the position of the left arm (as per the pic), which for myself would rather be around the opponents neck w/ my hand raking the face.

Franco

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice clip! Thanks for the link!

Mike

Bill Bednarick

Green Belt
Reaction score
I see some similarity to the Kuntaw that I practice in this clip. I like the drop in elbow to the knee takedown, we use it and I like it alot.

The thing about alot of Kuntao/Kuntaw is when you see the movements you instantly see the links to Silat.

OP
J

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
yes sir, we notice that too. In fact, our research here in Indonesia concluded that both arts influenced each others.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen the knee press in Panther techniques from the American Bando Association. There were differences - the left arm went across the right side of the opponents face to wrap the head and bend it backwards exposing the throat, but same principle.

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Guru Willie Wetzel tought that as well as the veriation of the footstomp to replace the knee & shatter there knee into the ground.Guru did tulan & kuntao.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The knee press can only be seen about 20 times a night in my class it is a part of Sikaran and taught often and uyes we use it sometimes in sparing not just drills
i do like the arm bar whih is shown in your phot being used with it

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Look some of my Kuntao Arnis demos are up.Search posts - I beleave it on post pg 4 now & go to Monkey Tom Carnes,I demo some verious Kuntao-& Jeet Kune Do. Enjoy.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very similar to the leg destructions that we do in Instinctive Response Training. Here are a couple of photos from the book, Advanced Wrist Strike Techniques. I have seen leg destructions in Modern Arnis, Silat, Kuntaw, Budo Taijutsu and on. It is simply a very, very effective technique. Having trained with Bill Bednarick above and his teacher they also emply very effective leg destructions.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Attachments

• $IRT Photo6 Forum.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 174
  • $IRT Photo7 Forum.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 168

Latest Discussions