Kung Fu vs MMA

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The fact is it's a very aggressive martial arts form used in the military similar to Krav Maga used by the Israeli defense force which i love also..............

By the way did anyone else notice in that video that the instructor actively says that a person will not hold a gun in a certain way.(Arms straight out static) and then proceded to do all his defences from exactly that position.

I notice these things. That is what makes me irritating.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. I think you are missing the point. it is not about you having the avada kedavra of knee kicks. Which you probably don't.

A functional technique will work on a resisting and non resisting oponant. But a non functional technique will only work on a non resisting oponant.

Everything works on a non resisting guy.

Dumbass Martial Arts
that the point i made above and people started to disagree with. If the techneque is good, it doesn't matter if someone resists or not, if i hit hit you in the face with an elbow, you cheek bone is gone, stand there or fall over it doesn't matter

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So many guys use this view of applying resistance as a all stop to all martial arts effectiveness and yes I agree to a point.

No doubt if overwhelmed you can make mistakes that will cost the fight.

We are talking about highly skilled people here at the top of their game also young adult mastering their art of course.

You need to consider other aspects to a fight as there is deflecting, defending, moving, and parring strikes, just like in boxing there is defensive skills hence Floyd Mayweathers skills as an example pull back, bobbing, weaving, ducking and footwork skills

But when the person counters using their art form and skill sets that can upset the balance or direction of the fight if the art is very aggressive and hitting vital organs with intent to cause maximum injury or death in cases like military fighting techniques.

The military spend heaps of time researching all this stuff and combine many arts and have a good documented history now of what does work and Kung-Fu San Soo was one of those arts in the list of choice amongst JKD, Judo, Filipino arts etc.

But to stick to the Thread Topic I suggested Kung-Fu San Soo vs MMA as best fit that was my opinion replying to conversation.

As to why people feel San Soo is a poor ineffective system that does not capitalize over an opponent who is lacking aggression, beats me.

I believe its lack of knowledge its a powerful system like some other types of Kung-Fu as well and here lays the other dilemma that it all depends on the practitioner how well he knows himself how willing to cross the bounds of just hitting to utilizing the whole art form for maximum hurt in the act of fighting because thats what San Soo is in the practical application.

More here:- Kung Fu San Soo: Effective, Real-Life, Street-Fighting Techniques

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The military spend heaps of time researching all this stuff and combine many arts and have a good documented history now of what does work

Whose military? The British military doesn't, being more engaged with weapons that preferable kill people from a distance considering that that approach is safer for it's troops. I imagine that's the approach most modern military take these days hence things like drones that drop bombs rather than unarmed martial arts.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Whose military? The British military doesn't, being more engaged with weapons that preferable kill people from a distance considering that that approach is safer for it's troops. I imagine that's the approach most modern military take these days hence things like drones that drop bombs rather than unarmed martial arts.

Of course military use hand to hand combat training regardless of the age we live in, in fact i would say they have stepped it up since 9/11

Navy SEAL on real martial arts Navy SEAL Jocko Willink on real martial arts. Keep in mind that he is an expert in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Navy SEAL Hand 2 Hand Combat Training

Heaps of History Channel Documentaries demonstrating how special forces train so on, how could they not train in hand to hand combat especially in capture and contain training so on

Thanks to those guys our borders a kept safe.

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
So many guys use this view of applying resistance as a all stop to all martial arts effectiveness and yes I agree to a point.

No doubt if overwhelmed you can make mistakes that will cost the fight.

We are talking about highly skilled people here at the top of their game also young adult mastering their art of course.

You need to consider other aspects to a fight as there is deflecting, defending, moving, and parring strikes, just like in boxing there is defensive skills hence Floyd Mayweathers skills as an example pull back, bobbing, weaving, ducking and footwork skills

But when the person counters using their art form and skill sets that can upset the balance or direction of the fight if the art is very aggressive and hitting vital organs with intent to cause maximum injury or death in cases like military fighting techniques.

The military spend heaps of time researching all this stuff and combine many arts and have a good documented history now of what does work and Kung-Fu San Soo was one of those arts in the list of choice amongst JKD, Judo, Filipino arts etc.

But to stick to the Thread Topic I suggested Kung-Fu San Soo vs MMA as best fit that was my opinion replying to conversation.

As to why people feel San Soo is a poor ineffective system that does not capitalize over an opponent who is lacking aggression, beats me.

I believe its lack of knowledge its a powerful system like some other types of Kung-Fu as well and here lays the other dilemma that it all depends on the practitioner how well he knows himself how willing to cross the bounds of just hitting to utilizing the whole art form for maximum hurt in the act of fighting because thats what San Soo is in the practical application.

More here:- Kung Fu San Soo: Effective, Real-Life, Street-Fighting Techniques
You have no idea what you are talking about.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You have no idea what you are talking about.

How do you mean?

I was simply trying to explain my opinion to TEZ3

I dont understand what she was talking about in reply to me so I kept it short and simple using the videos so how is it that I don't know anything enlighten me here please?

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you mean?

I was simply trying to explain my opinion to TEZ3

I dont understand what she was talking about in reply to me so I kept it short and simple using the videos so how is it that I don't know anything enlighten me here please?
Any of it. You just aren't fooling anybody anymore.

It would be like if I, being completely ignorant of football, went to a football forum and started throwing buzzwords around, making up plays, talking about which strategies are best, etc.

Eventually people would figure it out.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Any of it. You just aren't fooling anybody anymore.

It would be like if I, being completely ignorant of football, went to a football forum and started throwing buzzwords around, making up plays, talking about which strategies are best, etc.

Eventually people would figure it out.

What, figure out what exactly LoL how old are you first, you don't like the opinions I have or share, thats you buddy and learn to have a conversation without denying every-point someone makes LoL.

Over the years I have read heaps on how other nations train in particular martial arts like the Russian Sytema or Filipino arts in the armed forces what are you talking about because you personalize your replies to the character of a person rather than the post content.

Let me know in a PM if you have some concern or issue to address with me privately until then I'm here like any other member I'm not Bruce Lee, I am myself.... LoL

Fooling never knew I was fooling but did register to chat maybe your confused in this fact ;)

Whats your angle here its an open and public Forum for anyone to register and talk hence the name of the place LoL if they didn't want members here it would be a private closed Forum

Google search led me here LoL

You make little to no sense at all yet you go around posting your opinions, who are you I might ask respectfully? mm

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
of you do, a soccer tackle, have you never seen one?
I know what you mean by soccer tackle. I'm just saying I don't know of any kung fu kicks that would resemble that.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know what you mean by soccer tackle. I'm just saying I don't know of any kung fu kicks that would resemble that.

Unsure here what you guys mean but I know that there are various interesting leg scissor sweeps and leg take downs like or similar to soccer in martial arts espeically in the Kung - Fu styles that i like to follow.

Here is one I found on the fly.................

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The reason they are saying this is because resistance changes the things that you mention. "deflecting, defending, moving, and parring strikes, just like in boxing there is defensive skills hence Floyd Mayweathers skills as an example pull back, bobbing, weaving, ducking and footwork skills" Floyd Mayweather ability comes from training against a resisting opponent. He didn't learn his skill from years of doing demos only.

You can't do any of this unless you understand the timing of a resisting person as they counter, evade, defend, and attack for the sole purpose of making your techniques ineffective. A lot of things that you think you can hit will go out of the door once a person starts moving, more goes out of the door if that person is quick and can actually fight. People have difficulty in punching another person in the face, so hitting a vital spot is going to be 3 times as difficult.

No one has said this.

Of course military use hand to hand combat training regardless of the age we live in, in fact i would say they have stepped it up since 9/11
The point you keep missing about the military is that they spar when they train. This has always been the case for the military since the first creation of one. And this is what people are trying to get you to understand. And to be honest they are nice to you than my first few months when I was new to Martial Talk. lol.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unsure here what you guys mean but I know that there are various interesting leg scissor sweeps and leg take downs like or similar to soccer in martial arts espeically in the Kung - Fu styles that i like to follow.

Here is one I found on the fly.................

I'm not a fan of Jake Mace for "How to fight" even less of a fan of how he's showing the application of that technique. Notice his demo guy isn't moving so of course it will look like it will work. Cung le shows the correct application of that technique.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The reason they are saying this is because resistance changes the things that you mention. "deflecting, defending, moving, and parring strikes, just like in boxing there is defensive skills hence Floyd Mayweathers skills as an example pull back, bobbing, weaving, ducking and footwork skills" Floyd Mayweather ability comes from training against a resisting opponent. He didn't learn his skill from years of doing demos only.

You can't do any of this unless you understand the timing of a resisting person as they counter, evade, defend, and attack for the sole purpose of making your techniques ineffective. A lot of things that you think you can hit will go out of the door once a person starts moving, more goes out of the door if that person is quick and can actually fight. People have difficulty in punching another person in the face, so hitting a vital spot is going to be 3 times as difficult.

No one has said this.

The point you keep missing about the military is that they spar when they train. This has always been the case for the military since the first creation of one. And this is what people are trying to get you to understand. And to be honest they are nice to you than my first few months when I was new to Martial Talk. lol.

I still dont get your meaning here maybe we are saying the same things in two different ways that happens when people discuss opinions.

First, I do understand what Sparring is I use to do allot of it, wearing all the right head gear and what not.

Second, I also know what the military do I love all that stuff and they do things differently because they hold guns or rifles in their hands or body so some training sparring looks different to norm.

Thirdly you say that you agree San Soo is effective accepting my opinion thats all I'm saying that its a fascinating style.

Forth and last point you talk about timing and counter etc yes they would interact with sparring in that way but i can't find a youtube, and thats the point I'm addressing that the actual art places strong emphasis on explosive very hurtful striking in its core practice. Hence why you will only find light sparring demos to at least show case the martial art style to the audience.

But I thought all this was obvious to understand, it will be a compromise as an observer of the style.

PS. In Forums and/or online interactions you should be nice all the time be who your are offline and online never abuse the posting rights you have in any Forum no matter how long you have been with the community, no one is superior over the other because thats no reason to treat people online if you wouldn't do in in person.

Thats best way to get banned LoL i belong to many Forums some professional relating to my career some hobby with professionals like Flight Sim Forums others more video game related either way always be at best behavior or at least demonstrate it as much as possible

Fear the ban hammer!

Last edited:
OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
You make little to no sense at all

Yes, I would imagine not. Just as someone with a deep understanding of football wouldn't make much sense to me were they to discuss past a layman level.

Anyway go back to pretending to know what you are talking about, and I'll just put you back on ignore.

Deal?

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Jake Mace for "How to fight" even less of a fan of how he's showing the application of that technique. Notice his demo guy isn't moving so of course it will look like it will work. Cung le shows the correct application of that technique.

Yes thats a better video and I agree with you.

But thats not what you said in post #271 so thats why I joined the conversation out of interest to post a video to show you what I think Jobo is saying.

He might be discussing something else but I think he means this so will wait for his response I guess.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I would imagine not. Just as someone with a deep understanding of football wouldn't make much sense to me were they to discuss past a layman level.

Anyway go back to pretending to know what you are talking about, and I'll just put you back on ignore.

Deal?

As you like thats your prerogative in the Forum you are in! ;)

Cheers

OP
Martial D

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

LOL, Jake Mace? That guy is the hackiest hack in hacktown.

I still cringe when I think of his Sui Lim Tau video...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thirdly you say that you agree San Soo is effective accepting my opinion thats all I'm saying that its a fascinating style.
I don't have an opinion on it one way or the other because all I have seen are demos, which doesn't provide enough information to say that a system is effective.

but i can't find a youtube, and thats the point I'm addressing that the actual art places strong emphasis on explosive very hurtful striking in its core practice.
Most martial arts that is used for fighting places a strong emphasis on explosive very hurtful striking in its core practice. This is not a valid reason for why there isn't sparring. Guns are deadly yet people have found ways to shoot training bullets at each other.
In addition, not everything in Martial Arts is deadly. If you have a front kick, a roundhouse kick, a punch, and some throws then you have 3 techniques that can be trained in sparring without killing anyone. I would rather you just say that San Soo doesn't spar, than to say San Soo is so dangerous that it can't be used in sparring. I can never believe the second one no matter what you say. The second one sounds like an excuse that people say when they don't want others to know how ineffective the system actually is, so it's better for you to use the first reasoning.

But thats not what you said in post #271 so thats why I joined the conversation out of interest to post a video to show you what I think Jobo is saying.

He might be discussing something else but I think he means this so will wait for his response I guess.
I agree. That's not the kick I was referring too. You have to be careful with Jake Mace. He's a good athlete and strong, but sometimes he gets things wrong about martial arts and techniques. I think he comes from a martial arts performance background and not a martial arts application background.

LOL, Jake Mace? That guy is the hackiest hack in hacktown.
You are so wrong... Jake Mace knows everything lol. My first time seeing him I thought, "Ok this guy seems cool" but that all changed when he got into the martial arts application. When I was new to my school my Sifu sent me to his page to learn the staff. I saw the video and thought.. "Is my Sifu serious?" lol. My Sifu has a dry sense of humor so it takes a decoder ring to know when he's joking.
This is the video that he told me to learn from

This was the first thing that came to mind as I watched Jake Mace

Jake is in better shape that I'm in so I give him props on that. If I could say one thing to Jake, it would be "It's OK not to know every kung fu system." lol.

Latest Discussions