Kung Fu Shoes - Yes or No?

Ak1920

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm trying to learn more about wearing shoes while practicing Kung Fu and what brands are most popular. Im not currently practicing but need to do some research so thought might as well ask some experts to get the facts. What is important? Flexibility, grip, canvas, etc.

Any feedback is helpful. The brand I am researching is Feiyue.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 0001091_0_510x510.jpg
    0001091_0_510x510.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 227

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it depends on where you are training an who you are training with. We wear street shoes in my kwoon, but sometimes when I'm visiting someone they have a different tradition. Same places train barefoot.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t like the feuyue they just don’t fit my feet well. I haven’t found any specifically “Kung fu” shoes that I think are worth a damn. I wear New Balance, they fit my feet the best. Typically a cross-trainer type shoe.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wear New Balance, they fit my feet the best. Typically a cross-trainer type shoe.
I have used New Balance for the past 10 years. Until last year I found out the Nike Air Monarch IV is much better. Now I have 7 pairs of Nike Air Monarch IV. Besides MA training, I even use it for my 3 miles running.

D

Deleted member 39746

Everything i have been to has either been barefoot, or they let you wear when ever when you dont have to be barefoot. Only requisite (for non contact) i think i know of, is thin soles. Having done kicking etc in some thin soles, i think it lets you feel things easier and allows you flex your foot easier. (overal design depends on that as well though)

and what i wear: anything i can find. i wore off brand until they didnt fit me anymore. Thats just general use, the shoes i walk around in are the ones i would use for exercise as well.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have used New Balance for the past 10 years. Until last year I found out the Nike Air Monarch IV is much better. Now I have 7 pairs of Nike Air Monarch IV. Besides MA training, I even use it for my 3 miles running.
I can’t wear nike, the toe box is always too narrow for my feet.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t like the feuyue they just don’t fit my feet well. I haven’t found any specifically “Kung fu” shoes that I think are worth a damn. I wear New Balance, they fit my feet the best. Typically a cross-trainer type shoe.
Apparently people think New Balance is a 'nerdy' brand. I've had people make comments about it when I wear them, but it's the only brand I buy from. By far the best for whatever it is that I'm interested in doing on a given day.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Ak.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like skechers...they are super light and great for kicking.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The kung fu shoes make great summer slippers.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only issue is the wrestling shoes doesn't absorb the shock when you jump up and land back down. If you do 30 jumping kicks, you can feel it.

Yeah but they also don't chew up your expensive jigsaw mats.

So it depends where you train.

Ultimately you need to break down why you need shoes and then buy shoes for that purpose.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And while I am looking up kung fu shoes. This came up.

It is a point I have made before that just because something is specific to a task. It doesn't mean it is better at that task.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like skechers...they are super light and great for kicking.
When I bought my Nike, I also bought a pair of Skechers. I felt the Skechers is too hard for running. If I compare Nike Air Monarch IV with Skechers, for the shock absorbing, I'll give

- 8-9 for Nike Air Monarch IV, and
- 4-5 for Skechers.

I don't know what technology that Air Monarch use. I find out it's much better in "shock absorbing" than all the shoes that I have had from New Balance before. The moment that I have my Nike Air Monarch IV on, the moment that I know my New Balance live is over (I used New Balance in the past 40 years).

Latest Discussions