Kukki-TKD sparring style

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love Taekwondo (Kukkiwon/World TKD), I used to train in TKD for 8 years on and off I have first degree black belt but sometime I wish their sparring style would change to alot like in video which was In 1998 Pro-TKD debuted on ESPN2. The event was held in Aspen, Colorado. Pro-TKD was a full contact, no gears, and modified Olympic Taekwondo style rules with a different point system. Does anyone else feel this way too? Sometime I feel maybe people at Kukkiwon could learn something from one of their cousin art "Kyokushin Karate" which used more kicks than other any karate styles (btw Mas Oyama born Choi Yeong-eu the founder was Korean. well, Zainichi Korean in fact.) that bring me to my 2nd question, I wonder what if early masters of Tkd took Goju Ryu Karate rather than Shotokan karate that seem share common with 9 kwans? I bet Taekwondo would be different now..maybe.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of the founders said they trained in Goyu Ryu. They said Shotokan. Why would you think they were lying?

Plenty of people think the WT sparring rules suck. They suck as hard as the "point" sparring rules that break after every touch.

OP
Michael89

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i meant in parallel universe they never took shotokan and it was Goju Ryu. that's what i was trying to say.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah. I see. Well, to that, I would say that fantasy discussions are probably more appropriate to someplace like the Locker Room.

OP
Michael89

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just think Taekwondo prolly would be different by now if they did.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just think Taekwondo prolly would be different by now if they did.

That's sort of a "Duh" statement, don't you think? It's like saying you'd be different if you'd had different parents.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All that would've happened is TKD would be smaller and less accessible, like kyokushin.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
All that would've happened is TKD would be smaller and less accessible, like kyokushin.

No, the spread / popularity of TKD was due to the efforts to spread it backed by government resources to train instructors and dispatch them as well as demo teams throughout the world as well as recruit established instructors in other countries to adopt the new name and system. I think it was in 60 countries in less than 10 years which today may not seem like a lot but the world, (Travel and communication) was a lot different then .

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, the spread / popularity of TKD was due to the efforts to spread it backed by government resources to train instructors and dispatch them as well as demo teams throughout the world as well as recruit established instructors in other countries to adopt the new name and system. I think it was in 60 countries in less than 10 years which today may not seem like a lot but the world, (Travel and communication) was a lot different then .
Undoubtedly, but i still think that making the styles competitions more brutal and knockdown heavy would have limited it's appeal.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love Taekwondo (Kukkiwon/World TKD), I used to train in TKD for 8 years on and off I have first degree black belt but sometime I wish their sparring style would change to alot like in video which was In 1998 Pro-TKD debuted on ESPN2. The event was held in Aspen, Colorado. Pro-TKD was a full contact, no gears, and modified Olympic Taekwondo style rules with a different point system. Does anyone else feel this way too? Sometime I feel maybe people at Kukkiwon could learn something from one of their cousin art "Kyokushin Karate" which used more kicks than other any karate styles (btw Mas Oyama born Choi Yeong-eu the founder was Korean. well, Zainichi Korean in fact.) that bring me to my 2nd question, I wonder what if early masters of Tkd took Goju Ryu Karate rather than Shotokan karate that seem share common with 9 kwans? I bet Taekwondo would be different now..maybe.

Yes, Olympic style TKD has changed a lot, especially since electronic scoring began. The three original elements, physical shutter, knock down, or knock out all but no longer exist. Physical shutter is still valid. The first video very much looked more like the early years of Olympic TKD as far as contact. But it was two guys with a couple good kicks and not much else. The guy in black wore down (and maybe was concussed) and the guy in red took advantage of it.
One of the most important skill required for Olympic TKD has always been speed IMHO. The guy in red has it. The Kyokushin video did showcase more kicks but it was 10 times longer and multiple fights so not really a fair comparison.
I think something that is hard to appreciate in out fighting styles like TKD is when someone knows what their strengths are and uses them often. Boxers that do the same are usually complimented for the trait (a guy with a great jab for example). Olympic TKD is not as familiar to people so it is just seen differently.
I like how Olympic TKD has worked to positioned itself as distinctly different. I do not like the differences in contact. I think it is largely done to concede to todays society of temperance and to open the sport up to a larger audience.

Latest Discussions