KT:Importance of forms in Kenpo

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Importance of forms in Kenpo
By hemi - Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:01:23 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

I saw a post at martial talk about the importance of forms in Kenpo; I did take the time to read the valid points some made in favor of the forms but still disagree in many ways. So I will ask here and see what everyone has to say.

I’m not so much in favor of removing forms from the system that’s in place I just wonder if they really have as much importance as some place on them. Myself I struggle with forms to be honest they are the only part of Kenpo I am not totally in love with. I agree they help with instilling form, and many other things but in the real world form does not seem to be set in stone. At least in my very limited experience it seems to not be rigid. Things have to be adjusted to the situation the size of your opponent, how they attacked, how you reacted and a long list of what if and what did happen.

As an example I find my self in a tech line this time up I am facing a woman that’s say 5’6 then my next time up it’s a guy that 6’3 then a guy that’s 5’7 and so on. I am forced to adjust every thing on the fly. My heel to toe alignment depth of each stance, did I start with the correct reaction to the attach if not what can I use from the position I find myself in. In all of the above listed it would be the same on the street and in a real situation.

In that kind of training situation I am learning so much about how I react, what I can add, rearrange, remove and so on and on. That’s one thing I love so much about this art. But do you think rather than spending god knows how much time practicing in the air doing forms That time might yield better results working a more realistic situation with one or multiple partners. In a tech line or other live person drills such as sparring.

Ok i am ready to get schooled now LOL.

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I believe that forms are very important in kenpo. There are so many "hidden" movements in them. If you can really dig deep into one of your forms and pull it apart; you may find more than you knew was there. The forms preserves alot of information for the kenpoist who really want it. Just look alittle harder and ask your instructor a few more questions.

Latest Discussions