KT:Personal Form

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Personal Form
By Arizona Angel - Fri, 04 Jul 2008 00:38:16 GMT
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Do any of your schools require you make your own form to pass any certain belt level(s)? If so, what does that entail? How do you come up with your ideas?

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

LanJie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I used to attend a Kenpo school. I studied until Red Sash 2nd Degree the equivalent of Brown Belt.

I know that my instructors required that black sash candidates create their own form and teach it to someone else.

My kenpo school was run by an outstanding martial artist (He is a full kung fu instructor now). His kenpo was greatly influenced by kung fu.

My older kenpo classmate taught me his black sash form and it resembled a mixture of Hsing-Yi and moves from Lien Bu Chuan. My older classmate became an assistant instructor for Dr. Yang Jwing Ming and was studying Long Fist and Hsing-Yi at the time.

Is your kenpo close to kung fu in style does it have the five animals of Shaolin?

Looking at traditional kung fu may give you some ideas.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I require students to make up a form for Blackbelt level. Although I expect to see a good finished result, mainly I see growth in the student as they have to really think and create it and thats what I am after. The length is typically about as long as one of our beginner forms but its really more about the learning process than it is about the length of the form.
I like to see students that can take what they learned and be creative and put their own twist on things.

LanJie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tai Chi Praying Mantis has this requirement to made an Instructor.

Both Kenpo and at least one style of kung fu require a personal form. In Tai Chi Mantis if the form is deemed useful enough it is passed down to newer students.

My sifu's son said his personal form was a two person set, Staff vs. Spear that he developed with one of his sisters.

Latest Discussions