KT:Club, Knife and Gun Defenses.....

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Club, Knife and Gun Defenses.....
By Bob Hubbard - 07-08-2010 03:46 PM
Originally Posted at: KenpoTalk

====================

Originally posted on MartialTalk by Dennis Conatser in 2003.
Quote:
Club, Knife and Gun Defenses..... One of the most interesting groups of study within Kenpo (IMHO).

These particular areas of study involve weapons which equate to distance most of the time. In the initial phases of our system, we teach a "few" maneuvers for the defense of a " few" scenarios.

I think we must all realize that initially the techniques in the ideal phase of learning is all about coordination and learning what you are dealing with.

As one progresses to more advanced levels of training (which some studios don't I understand) these scenarios, we must become more realistic. This involves an improved replica in size, weight, sound, heat, and possibly a safe projectile.

At this point, fingers, plastic or wood, don't really fill the bill. Of course, safety is paramount. We now can only start to learn the ins and outs, goods and bads, speeds and skills necessary to further develop our steps towards our skill development in defending against these devices if ever confronted in reality.

This "PROCESS" is actually the same for any other category as well such as punches, armlocks etc..
Several have posted some good ideas, tips and training ideas towards skill enhancement. Yet others have chosen not to graphically discuss these defenses outside of their studios (which I honor and understand the reasons), unless in person.

The most important part of training for these situations is the conditioning we receive from the countless hours invested. Obviously we need to know that what we are practicing works, and there is no better way than to do that with a live partner. Solo training is good in the initial phases but in the later, you must up the ante.

Discussion...........?

For consideration as a topic to discuss. :asian:

Read More...

------------------------------------
KenpoTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Of course, for me, I've found that while these things do work in the ideal phase, many times, once some heat is applied, it may be necessary to improvise a bit. This isn't to say that you have to crosstrain, although thats not a bad idea, its something that I do, and its something that helped my weapon defenses. I'm simply saying that you may need to make some subtle changes, with Kenpo flavor. :)

Latest Discussions