Krav talk...

OP
K

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's not unique to Krav Maga because alot of systems use this fight voilence with aggression tactic, and yes I was taught the same thing when I trained Krav Maga and also when I trained Silat and FMA.

And it's good but then still

I love Silat. There are definitely some parallels between Silat and Krav Training philosophies.

OP
K

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Run or procure a weapon. [/QUOTE said:
One thing I love about Krav is that it teaches the act of running away (escaping). Most martial arts instructors will tell their students to run, but it is rarely ever taught in actual technique. I was guilty of that. When I had a dojo I would tell the students to run but we never actually practiced it on a consistent basis. In Krav we run away (escape) after almost every technique, or even before if we have a chance.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are organizations who just want to squeeze your lemons. Every last drop. Trouble is, unless you do, it's unlikely to make a comfortable living out of it.

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Then the "honest guys" are tempted to cut corners in training and certification. They rely heavily on YouTube and forums instead of more hands on courses, seminars, and working with other instructors

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There hasn't been much Krav talk for awhile so I am going to try and get some started. KMWW sucks and IKMF rules...discuss. Just kidding. My Black Belt in Krav is through KMWW lineage but most of my training was with IKMF. My IKMF instructors sometimes bad-mouth other Krav affiliates as being to "fitness oriented" but I haven't seen much of a difference. Krav defintely has a unique signiture so it's easy to tell if something is pure Krav, as oppossed to Krav-fu. I began training in Krav to fill in the self defense gaps that my traditonal martial arts training had. Any other Krav brothers and sisters here? Background? Hopefully we can get some good Krav talk going.

Nice discussion! I recently started training with a friend of mine, who is also a fellow Kenpo Blackbelt, in this organization. So far, from what I've seen, I like it. Yes, I certainly agree that there are good and bad out there, just like any other art. The Krav Maga Federation right in NYC, and while it'd only be a 2 hr train ride, I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to be as consistent as I am currently.

Likewise, I also have an Arnis Black Belt, and while I have always felt that if you want to really understand something, you should train in the art that specializes in it, ie: BJJ--grappling, I will admit that I've seen some knife work that made me raise an eyebrow..lol. Not saying it's all bad....to each their own. Just because *I* don't like a certain technique, doesn't mean that the next person wouldn't. I'm saying for *ME* I'd choose something else.

But, back to Krav. IMHO, trained right, under a good teacher, I feel that it will provide you with a simple, effective method of defending yourself. This isn't to say that an art that has kata isn't good. I'm simply saying from what I've seen, Krav will provide you with a more to the point, method of SD.

OP
K

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
[QUOTE the thing what put me off was the amount of money they try to milk out of Krav Maga, not sure if you guys experience that too?[/QUOTE]

That sucks. I think the franchise model or full-time instructor model that many organizations are pushing lends itself to that. I ran a full-time dojo for years so I know when someone is selling for more than they should. Unfortunately, I think your experience in becoming the norm. BJJ, at least in my area, was known for getting every last dollar out of students, until a million BJJ schools opened up. Now their prices have come down a bit.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ironically, what is likely the best Krav Maga school in my area...is also the cheapest....and what is more Krav Kwondo than Krav Maga...is the most expensive.

OP
K

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are organizations who just want to squeeze your lemons. Every last drop. Trouble is, unless you do, it's unlikely to make a comfortable living out of it.

I
I would do so too if firearms were common and allowed here

I also have to respectfully disagree with you :D

I think Krav has some awesome empty hand stuff and also informs people about the legal stuff. My experience with Silat and Kali/Arnis is different than yours, my teachers taught me how to wield a knife in order to understand better how to defend myself against a knife. So my Kali background goes further than a couple of knife vs knife drills.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Krav Maga and I was taught for 2 years by the current Dutch Chairman of the Krav Maga Global organisation, the thing what put me off was the amount of money they try to milk out of Krav Maga, not sure if you guys experience that too?

I was guest-training with an Arnis organization who did nothing but standing drills with their students. We did some sparring (stick only) at the end of the session and I noticed that nobody was closing distance at all. I've trained with some Dog Brother students who focus a lot on closing the distance so when I shot inside to do close stick fighting, it freaked the students out. Point being, if you are training with an instructor who uses real attacks with real movement, that's cool because you are training with a good Arnis instructor.

Reactions: MJS

Latest Discussions