IKMF vs KMWW?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying out Krav later this year for some cross-training, and there are two places that fit my schedule; one place is affiliated with IKMF and the other is a Krav Maga Worldwide school.

I'm planning on visiting both schools, but before I do that I did have some questions.

I've done a little research online, and IKMF sounds like it might be a bit more serious/reputable, while KMWW seems a little more business-oriented. Is that the case? Are there any other major differences between these groups, in terms of material, training, etc?

I know some of what I'm asking about is going to depend on the instructors and school culture, but if you guys have any relevant tips/wisdom/advice, I'd appreciate it.

Also, regardless of org, is there anything in particular I should be looking for in terms of what's "good Krav"?

Thanks!

hungryninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Both are reputable organizations. IKMF used to be larger before their split. In the U.S., KMWW is more common. I would recommend looking into the credentials of each instructor.

OP
W

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks! What should I look for in terms of credentials? I saw online that both require an instructor's course to teach - is that all that I should be looking for, that they've taken it, or something else?

D

Dylan9d

Both a reputable businesses you mean?
The instructor courses can vary from 10 hours - 180 hours and cost a fortune, so you can see it as a fastfood selfdefense system.

Also most of the self defense techniques i have seen from Krav Maga will work against the average housewife, so domestic problems? train Krav Maga

My opinion shouldn't be everyones opinion though, so i would suggest you try it and after that walk into the first MMA club encounter and you will probably learn more in the MMA club

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd encourage you to visit both schools. Invest the time in watching a class or two in each before you invest your money... You may find that one schools atmosphere or teaching style is just not something you want... Otherwise, as far as I know, the differences between them amount to the political types of differences between any set of organizations in one art.

OP
W

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Both a reputable businesses you mean?
The instructor courses can vary from 10 hours - 180 hours and cost a fortune, so you can see it as a fastfood selfdefense system.

So can you tell me which of those two organizations has a better instructor course? That's a large part of what I'm trying to find out. I know that Krav is meant to be short-term self-defense training that teaches fundamentals, rather than a full martial art that you study for years.

My opinion shouldn't be everyones opinion though, so i would suggest you try it and after that walk into the first MMA club encounter and you will probably learn more in the MMA club

Mmm. A place recently opened near me that does have one daytime BJJ class, which is the other option that I have. My availability is extremely limited (Sunday afternoons and 3 weekday mornings), which pretty severely limits my opportunities for cross-training in different styles.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So can you tell me which of those two organizations has a better instructor course? That's a large part of what I'm trying to find out. I know that Krav is meant to be short-term self-defense training that teaches fundamentals, rather than a full martial art that you study for years.
Not exactly... Imi Lichtenfeld's focus was on developing a very functional self defense system, based on his real world experience as well as his training in several martial traditions and combative sports. It's down and dirty, not fancy... but that's not the same as saying it's not a full martial art worthy of years of study.

D

Dylan9d

@WaterGal, both organisations offer instructorsprograms. Here in Europe you pay about 3000 EU for the program at the IKMF or Krav Maga Global. The KMWW looks to me more like Krav Maga mixed with MMA.

When i trained Krav Maga the last time i didnt had the feeling the instructors could offer me something. Don't want to be bigheaded but i trained 15 years longer than both the instructors. And everytime i sparred with them i had the upper hand.

If i were you i would check out the BJJ school, if they have good credentials and if they are legit i would give that a go.

ps: i tried to quote you but doesnt work on my pc at work

mattjans

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
WaterGal, I like the advice on trying both out. From taking several martial arts in my life and teaching (or being a student) if many different things (I teach in higher ed), I'm pretty skeptical about training programs. The fact thst they both have something is excellent (v. nothing), but the personal "magic" of a specific instructor can really make it or break it, at least for me. Plus the overall tone of the org, collegiality of the students (or not) will probably influence your decision (it would mine).

If you're in LA consider coming to Alliance in Culver City. Owned/operated by former head of KMWW (John Whitman). I've been there 3.5 years mostly doing Cross Fit, but doing more KM now. You can also look up Alliance Affiliate schools around the world to see if there's one near you.

mattjans

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not exactly... Imi Lichtenfeld's focus was on developing a very functional self defense system, based on his real world experience as well as his training in several martial traditions and combative sports. It's down and dirty, not fancy... but that's not the same as saying it's not a full martial art worthy of years of study.

Agree with the quote above from my limited KM experience. There are people at my school who have trained for decades. The difference between KM and traditional systems is just the number of movements (and their efficiency). In another thread someone mentioned the guiding theme of KM (Keep a technique if it works, otherwise throw it away). It's been so popular as a short-term training because the basics are so simple and based on natural movement. But even so, you get better at it after years of practice. Lots of application practice, no forms or "one steps" and formality like that.

I think someone mentioned BJJ in the thread. I'd be trying BJJ schools if I didn't have a KM school I love (maybe judo), but we get grappling and ground work at Alliance.