Krav Maga

• Thread starter Hu Ren Qianzai Long
  • Start date
OP
P

progressivetactics

It is the y2k fad. It was tae bo, it was yoshikai aikido, it was isshin ryu, it was ninjistsu, it was judo, it was jeet kune do.. Every couple of years, something comes in and it quickly goes out again of popularity. Remember the ninja? They were so good at stealth, you can't find a school anymore!

It is good training prinicples, but not necessarily a good art. It makes good sense as an add in to an art. It teaches the important things like knees and elbows, that some traditional arts sometimes dont focus on.

It was marketed very well, and seems like they took their time putting this plan into place. I see it being around for a bit before fading back to only a few schools per state.

bb

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
"Haganah," in every context that I'm familiar with, was the name for foreign Jews who traveled to Israel in 1948-49 to help protect the Jewish state in it's war for survival.

There is no martial art called Haganah. Mike Lee Kanarek may have learned Krav Maga, but he never trained, trained with, or learned from anyone in the special forces of Israel's military. He is a fraud, plain and simple.

There are variations of Krav Maga that are taught to real Israeli special forces units (they have separate elite units for just about everything imaginable) that are adapted for various purposes. (My source here is former Israeli soldiers.)

I don't really trust the large civilian Krav Maga organizations myself- they seem way too commercialized. But if you find an independent instructor with credentials from the Israeli Defense Forces, you probably can't go too wrong.

moromoro, I think you'd find that much of Krav Maga resembles the unarmed components of the blade arts you've trained in. At least, that's what I found when I took lessons in kali (or eskrima, depending on what you want to call it).

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Originally posted by moromoro
Mike Lee Kanarek, how does the system he teaches differ from krav maga????

Looking at his bio on the webpage that arnisador mentioned, it seems like a mishmash of the various arts he supposedly trained in. The "System Overview" given there sounds exactly like typical krav maga.
There sure are lots of interesting credentials listed. I think we all have better things to waste our money on than finding out what it is that Kanarek actually teaches.

OP
A

A.R.K.

I had the opportunity to train under Moti Horenstein in a 40 hr course at S.E.P.S.I. a couple of years ago in Krav Maga. Very intense course, and very realistic and 'street' applicable. He's up in New York [New city or something close?]. I would recommend him highly as he's a good instructor, very calm and has used what he teaches in real application.

:asian:

OP
A

A.R.K.

I don't know if he has any other training besides Krav Maga and Ju Jitsu. If my information is correct he is 2nd or 3rd generation from Krav Maga's founder. The name Dennis Hanover comes to mind but I'm not familar with the background of Krav Maga, just many of the techniques. He has served and trained in the IDF and I know personally that he has real world experience in this area with hand-to-hand combat.

I think he has won once in the UFC and lost several times. But I'm not sure, I don't really follow these types of things. My opinion is that they are as realistic as a MA's tournament i.e. they are not. If it has a referee, rules, time outs etc it isn't very real world and how well or poorly an individual does in them may not reflect their true capabilities.

He's a good teacher, this I do know. And a fine friend.

OP
A

A.R.K.

With respect I think he has won one of them. I couldn't tell you who but I'll take a look.

OP
A

A.R.K.

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=139

It looks as if he is 1 and 5 at the time of this information. I can't tell you how up to date it is, I don't follow these things. He won against a Patrick Smith at the Bass Ruten Invitational. Don't know if it's UFC or not?

But again, even though these are 'tough' contests they still are not reality. An individuals record may or may not reflect actual street ability and certainly not teaching ability.

OP
A

A.R.K.

Ok, I suppose I'm not following your point regarding the whole thing.....?

:idunno:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by moromoro
sorry man, i was suspended for expressing politically orientated views that the american FMA public dont want to hear........

This is not correct.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-