Krav Maga questions?

OP
B

bogdy23

White Belt
Reaction score
I was educated in the folowing way the smartest guy gives he dosen`t fight for whats his he just lets people say whatever and he goes on his way. The thing is that in school or in a workplace(not had issue here) you can`t move you`re stuck with the same people. But now back to giving up and beeing the better man well thats not who i truly am inside i am a figher i can`t explode into sensless violence but i need to fight back. Some people just need education so they don`t take what`s yours. I`ve had issues where i had a girlfriend and another guy was hiting on her with me present she was fighting back but there were many and i didn`t fight needless to say i lost her a month later. I`m talking about kicking *** in this kind of situations not beeing a wuss imposing more respect. If you can`t impose respect and can only earn in than please tell me how do you earn it. I am offering it to everyone i am polite and i don`t pick fights and haven`t personally attacked anyone here or anywhere for that matter.

So let me ask you another question if you offer respect but don`t get it in return what do you do. You can`t leave you need to stay there it`s a work place a school a boxing gym a club with your friends what do i do?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I`ve had issues where i had a girlfriend and another guy was hiting on her with me present she was fighting back but there were many and i didn`t fight needless to say i lost her a month later. I`m talking about kicking *** in this kind of situations

You would've 'lost' her anyway.

Beating the guy up would've made no difference.

If she was with you for you then someone else hitting on her would get ignored.

Unless it was a case that "there were many" trying to force themselves on her, in which case that should've been a police situation.

So let me ask you another question if you offer respect but don`t get it in return what do you do. You can`t leave you need to stay there it`s a work place a school a boxing gym a club with your friends what do i do?

Well, you certainly don't hit them (which seems to be your aim) - that gets you fired/expelled/kicked out.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was educated in the folowing way the smartest guy gives he dosen`t fight for whats his he just lets people say whatever and he goes on his way. The thing is that in school or in a workplace(not had issue here) you can`t move you`re stuck with the same people. But now back to giving up and beeing the better man well thats not who i truly am inside i am a figher i can`t explode into sensless violence but i need to fight back. Some people just need education so they don`t take what`s yours. I`ve had issues where i had a girlfriend and another guy was hiting on her with me present she was fighting back but there were many and i didn`t fight needless to say i lost her a month later. I`m talking about kicking *** in this kind of situations not beeing a wuss imposing more respect. If you can`t impose respect and can only earn in than please tell me how do you earn it. I am offering it to everyone i am polite and i don`t pick fights and haven`t personally attacked anyone here or anywhere for that matter.

What I do is suck it up and get on with life. I've worked with people who don't like me for no reason and have made it obvious but you have to get on with it not beat them up

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Is krav maga a martial art or a modular military system?
Yes. I know that sounds like a smartass answer, but it's accurate. A lot of folks in KM say it's not a martial art, but a system. Well, I know very few people whose definition of "martial art" doesn't fit Krav Maga. All MA are systems of some sort. Some started for civilians, some for military, some for some unknown purpose.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you can`t impose respect and can only earn in than please tell me how do you earn it.
You seem to be mistaking fear and respect. If it is gained through intimidation, it is fear. Again, change your social circle, it will do wonders for your temper. And help you keep all your teeth.

Reactions: pdg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seem to be mistaking fear and respect. If it is gained through intimidation, it is fear. Again, change your social circle, it will do wonders for your temper. And help you keep all your teeth.
Agreed. When tough guys say "you better show some respect", they really mean either "you better do what I say" or "you better act like I think you oughta".

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO PDG no insult about your wife was made and you know it. I`m not 14 yeah maybe i`m imature in some way. And yes i have talked to a therapist it`s said im fine. I need to find a way to impose respect. Martial arts could give me the confidence and courage i need. But i need to know is krav maga enough. I like martial arts when i get stepped on i need to fight back that`s it. I`ve never thrown the first punch i just want to throw the last. And yes him coming with 5 mates is totaly possible but my health and all the pain i feel from not fighting back is greater. I need to fight back the therapsit said about stress you either run or you fight i`ve runned all my life it makes me misearble i need to start to learn how to fight

No, martial arts will not give you the confidence you're looking for. Not Krav Maga, not BJJ, not Kyukushkin, not even Xue Fu (I realize that's a heresy, because Xue Fu can do anything... but not this).

You won't get real confidence from outside yourself. You can develop confidence while training in martial arts -- but you're looking for the result without understanding the process. It won't work. You'll build a soap bubble castle, then with the false confidence of a few things -- you'll get your backside handed to you.

You're caught in a social problem; you seek validation of your status. You need to understand the social issues, and deal with them. Martial arts MAY be part of that, but not entirely.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I need to be prepared in case the verbal confrunation escalates.Wich it usually does because no one likes the nerdy guy who has something to say back. People expect me to be fearfull and i`m tiered of living in fear i want to be me not a scared guy
No, it doesn't. In fact, there's a script. Look up Monkey Dance. Wanna know how to stop it? Short circuit it. Seriously. Guy's escalating -- don't escalate in turn, go sideways. It breaks the script, and then the encounter will go in a new direction.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello,

Is krav maga a martial art or a modular military system?a lot of fake masters out there.
I want to learn from Rony Kluger i think he is very ok but the teaches modular activites.
My main concern is after 200 hours of practice of krav maga and having learned the system will i be able to beat a pro fighter let`s say 5-6 years experienced martial artist or a person who is a "wise guy" and collects debt and has done 7-8-10 years of kickboxing or wu shu sanda.
Thank you

Hi Bogdy23, long time no hear, bro, welcome back.

By your opening post it looks like you aren't training in the same dojo as you were before. Maybe a Krav place would be better to your liking after all. In general - you have to find a dojo, any dojo, near enough to you that you'll actually go to on a regular basis. Of those, just go watch and see what feels right for you. Is there a Krav place near you? If so, have you checked it out yet?

I understand your want/need to be able to fight. But beware of the inevitable paradox, once you know how to fight and once you become really skilled - the less likely you are to ever get into a fight again. It's like the old adage, The more you run over Schrodinger's cat, the flatter it gets....or not. [okay, so I made that up]

So....what do you have around you for dojos to train in?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
My .02 cents for what it's worth after reading most of the first page.

1) Stop going to places where young guys are looking for trouble. PERIOD! If you are really interested in self-protection, this is basic 101 (after 20 years in law enforcement).

2) People look for people they can pick on. No matter WHAT STYLE of martial arts you take, if you are learning ways to carry yourself with more confidence and awareness of your surroundings, then you are about 90% there in terms of self-protection.

3) Anyone/School/System needs to teach de-escalation techniques as part of what they do if they are really teaching self-protection. The vast majority of "fights" are not criminal assaults that you had no choice in the matter. They are ego based contests (even if very violent and someone gets hurt) that both participate in. Find ways to turn things around and avoid a conflict while still maintaining your dignity.

I suggest reading articles by Marc MacYoung, he has great advice on pre-fight indicators and how to descalate things.

Quick story to illustrate a point. My instructor has been in many fights throughout his 50+ years of martial arts. One time, there was a young 16 year old kid who was trying to pick a fight with him. The kid was walking to school and he was outside raking leaves. He started to fake that he was having a heart attack and the kid ran off scared. Can you get yourself to the point of having enough faith in your skills and REALLY knowing what you are capable of to prevent an altercation? Because when you really know what you are capable of, then you KNOW you aren't avoiding a fight just because you're scared. You understand and can make intelligent decisions to avoid situations and not second guess yourself or start up a "martial fantasy fight" in your head where you are good enought to whoop all of the bad guys without getting a scratch and thinking that anything less makes you a coward.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Punisher73 gave one example of going sideways... Here's another. I forget whose story it was... but they were in a bar, things started to get heated and he got the classic "What you looking at?" from a guy looking for a fight. He answered "Sorry, dude... wasn't looking at anything. Got this problem with my girl on my mind... wanna hear about it?" Ended up sharing a beer with the guy...

A well known firearms instructor is quoted as saying "if you look like dinner, you'll be eaten." (Couldn't find the original, and I'm quoting one of my own instructors almost 20 years ago who was quoting...) If you're hanging out in places, and you look like a victim, someone is going to make a victim out of you. I keep saying you have a social problem -- you look like a victim, you're seeking someone to validate that you're not, and you just can't find that outside. You know you're a man when you no longer have to ask anyone if you're a man...

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Sorry to hear about your girl, but if you really felt that you needed to do something you should have done it. Winning or getting your *** kicked in this case wont matter, what matter was your intention, actions speaks louder then words.

my 2 cents is fighting wont solve anything, being able to fight wont get you a girl (it'll achieve the oppersite), and beating up everyone in the bar wont land you respect, we are not in the movies where the hero gets the girls.

reality is painful and the smart rich confident guy usually wins and the muscle head have to deals with the cops instead . Violence in this day and age will land u a one way ticket to jail.

Swanson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've trained in km now for a long time
It teaches you self defence skills not how to have a brawl.
Always walk away from any confrontation that's the first rule of km
If that doesn't work ask them to back away
If that doesn't work and they throw the first punch take them down then walk away.
Remember it's a self defence system and can be very. Effective but you will need to have more then 200 hrs under your belt to be experienced.

Latest Discussions