Krav Maga Knife Defense Video Clip!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm..perhaps if the attacker wasn't too skilled with the blade, but I'd rather not take that chance. Likewise, I'm not saying this won't work, but personally, I'd rather work on gaining control of the weapon arm, rather than attempting a kick.

Mike

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont know, from a standing still type position to attempt a kick would be risky. Also, I completely disagree with how he keeps bringing the knife across his own body, even after gaining control. also it looks like he is having to cross alot of distance and time to gain control of the knife hand after the kick. Also he is focusing only on the knife hand after the kick and dropping his guard for all other attacks including a hook from the non-knife hand.
I would want to close the gap much more and not leave so much space between me and the attacker/knife. But thats me.

7sm

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know, from a standing still type position to attempt a kick would be risky. Also, I completely disagree with how he keeps bringing the knife across his own body, even after gaining control. also it looks like he is having to cross alot of distance and time to gain control of the knife hand after the kick. Also he is focusing only on the knife hand after the kick and dropping his guard for all other attacks including a hook from the non-knife hand.
I would want to close the gap much more and not leave so much space between me and the attacker/knife. But thats me.

7sm

Thats a very good point. I totally missed that, as I was focused more on the defense he was attempting, rather than watching his body movements. I think thats one of the things that often forgotten..no pun intended :)...and thats the fact that the opponent has another hand that he can use.

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, I completely disagree with how he keeps bringing the knife across his own body, even after gaining control.

I thought about this too. I wouldn't "pass the puck in front of the net" (as I always describe it) by choice, but there is something to be said for working to the outside of the opponent's body despite the risk. Also, if the person is pushing the knife back that way, I would probably pass it rather than wrestle with him. It's easier to control when it's pinned closer to his body, though he can then try to transfer it to his other hand. Anyway, when I pass I use footwork and angling to help keep me safe!

So, I am concerned but I wouldn't say that I completely disagree with what he's doing.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The blade passed in front of his body way to many times for me. Once maybe but I would strongly argue about bringing it back across a 2nd time.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought about this too. I wouldn't "pass the puck in front of the net" (as I always describe it) by choice, but there is something to be said for working to the outside of the opponent's body despite the risk. Also, if the person is pushing the knife back that way, I would probably pass it rather than wrestle with him. It's easier to control when it's pinned closer to his body, though he can then try to transfer it to his other hand. Anyway, when I pass I use footwork and angling to help keep me safe!

So, I am concerned but I wouldn't say that I completely disagree with what he's doing.
I agree with working to the outside of the body as in outside gate. What I was saying about the spacing is simply my own personal style of fighting. We train very close quarters and to leave so much space between my opponent allows the opportunity (taken or not) for the opponent to use attacking techniques of his/her own. Plus it brings into the equation a time lapse where you must cross space and therefore time to intercept, counter, or what have you an incoming attack. Also, it seperates my opponents body from my own and takes away my ability to feel what he is doing, I only have my eyes now and we all know how easily they can lie to us :) Those are a few of my reasons for the space thing, just my own personal opinions.

The passing of the knife I still do completely disagree with. Your point about him pushing it that way is great, however if that happens I would teach to turn and move the body out of the way, not pass the knife across the body. Its about total body movement not just moving the arm you are controlling the knife with. For instance you could allow the push to continue, move your body inward rolling with the right shoulder and coming into the opponents body with an attack, or opposite, let it go to the outside, rolling with your left shoulder and attack the elbow or the body from outside gate. I just dont like passing the knife across the body period. If you are moving your body out of the way thats a different story.

Just a few observations...probably stylistic differences.

7sm

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being too close can be a danger if the knife is near his body and you don't have excellent control of the knife. If you're body-to-body, and he tilts the knife outward (butt end of the knife on his own body), he can use his body weight to push it into you. It depends where the knife is and how you're controlling it. Of course, the demonstrator does strike him before doing other things, which I think is good.

The passing of the knife I still do completely disagree with. Your point about him pushing it that way is great, however if that happens I would teach to turn and move the body out of the way, not pass the knife across the body.

Look at what's happening there and notice after the kick how his right hand is sticking out 90 degrees from his body. Suppose he could use his strength to turn his hand palm up in the defender's grip by turning his elbow down. Now he's in a position to do a shoulder-to-hip forehand slash. If he drops his elbow (and body weight) it's quite powerful, and it covers a very large region. I might rather pass it to where he wants it to go than have to try to keep it from cutting me. (This would be much easier to show than to describe.) If you move in tight there, mightn't he just end up dragging the blade across you as he pulls it to himself?

I'm not advocating passing it, which I think can be quite dangerous, and I suspect we are in overall agreement here, but I do think that if he really wants that knife to go forward, it might be best to not wrestle over it but rather to control its path.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
You know what?

That's not even a real KM knife defense. The proper one starts with a kick to the most immobile part of the attackers body, namely the part of the torso facing you. Don't look at this as an example of good KM. It's not.

Remi Lessore

White Belt
Reaction score
There are several real KM knife defences. This is one of them.

1. Context: KM teaches drills against the most likely scenarios and most people who use knives are not escrimadors having undertaken disciplined training. A competent knife fighter is unlikely to stand like this (unless hiding something in the other hand which, in this case, is visible). Someone who would present the knife in a forward position like this would be trying to intimidate and show off. This is the sort of guy with which we are dealing.
2. Attack: KM teaches attack along the shortest line hence the kick, which is closest to an actual target (the knife hand). If it misses because the attacker moves his hand, the knife is still removed from a useful line of attack and the kick is immediately followed by a guarding hand which grabs the knife arm, a punch to the throat and a kick to the groin. This will cause a crumple-reflex which allows the disarm to commence. KM teaches to continue striking until the attacker is ready for a lock, disarm, takedown, etc. That is, when the fight has gone out of him. If after being punched in the throat and kicked in the groin he is still fighting you should run away because you could be fighting a cyborg. There may be some out there, but again, KM starts with likely scenarios.
3. Disarm: If the attacker were still struggling you would carry on striking. When they have stopped struggling (due to strikes to the throat and groin) you could continue a variety of disarms. The one shown demonstrates a strike to the back of the hand to open the hand and retrieve the knife. This is quick and allows you to stay standing. There is no issue about bringing the knife across the body because
- There is no fight going on.
- The length of the arm exceeds the length of the blade. If by some miracle of superhuman strength (and again, KM drills for likely scenarios), the attacker found it in himself to lunge forward at this moment the body is well away from the knife and the knife arm is under control. It would be guided along a different axis and more punishment meted out until ready for the disarm.
4. The following link shows Richard Douieb, FEKM chief doing knife disarms. It starts with a slap similar to the crescent kick in the previous link and continues in a variety of ways: www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/douieb+krav+maga/video/xwad0_kravmaga-selfdefense-6_events

I hope this helps.

Remi

Remi Lessore

White Belt
Reaction score
There are several real KM knife defences. This is one of them.

1. Context: KM teaches drills against the most likely scenarios and most people who use knives are not escrimadors having undertaken disciplined training. A competent knife fighter is unlikely to stand like this (unless hiding something in the other hand which, in this case, is visible). Someone who would present the knife in a forward position like this would be trying to intimidate and show off. This is the sort of guy with which we are dealing.
2. Attack: KM teaches attack along the shortest line hence the kick, which is closest to an actual target (the knife hand). If it misses because the attacker moves his hand, the knife is still removed from a useful line of attack and the kick is immediately followed by a guarding hand which grabs the knife arm, a punch to the throat and a kick to the groin. This will cause a crumple-reflex which allows the disarm to commence. KM teaches to continue striking until the attacker is ready for a lock, disarm, takedown, etc. That is, when the fight has gone out of him. If after being punched in the throat and kicked in the groin he is still fighting you should run away because you could be fighting a cyborg. There may be some out there, but again, KM starts with likely scenarios.
3. Disarm: If the attacker were still struggling you would carry on striking. When they have stopped struggling (due to strikes to the throat and groin) you could continue a variety of disarms. The one shown demonstrates a strike to the back of the hand to open the hand and retrieve the knife. This is quick and allows you to stay standing. There is no issue about bringing the knife across the body because
- There is no fight going on.
- The length of the arm exceeds the length of the blade. If by some miracle of superhuman strength (and again, KM drills for likely scenarios), the attacker found it in himself to lunge forward at this moment the body is well away from the knife and the knife arm is under control. It would be guided along a different axis and more punishment meted out until ready for the disarm.
4. The following link shows Richard Douieb, FEKM chief doing knife disarms. It starts with a slap similar to the crescent kick in the previous link and continues in a variety of ways: www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/douieb+krav+maga/video/xwad0_kravmaga-selfdefense-6_events

I hope this helps.

Remi

Latest Discussions