Krav Maga for ex-serviceman

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a friend who is interested in picking up a Martial Art and is looking at Krav Maga. He is ex-UK military and would like to know a bit more about it in terms of the techniques used in the style, as well as how it compares to the training he received when he was in the army.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on who he served with it's unlikely he would have had a lot of self defence training outside basic training, it's not focussed on a lot. It would also depend on where he went for Krav Maga, as standards vary dramatically as you can become an instructor for a large sum of money and in a weekend. There's a lot of places that train excellent self defence skills which are actually superior to Krav Maga.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've worked with a few army guys and they say it's pretty basic the stuff they learn since they're not looking to get into fist fights just basic self defence and disarm moves and a bit of close quarter. It doesn't really matter what style he learns he'll get better training at a club/ dojo since he'll be doing it regularly and getting a wider range of training and training partners

maryf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well, martial arts is not all about fighting, proper techniques with official terms. i believe learning martial arts for a person with military background will be much more easy than for me :rolleyes:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, martial arts is not all about fighting, proper techniques with official terms. i believe learning martial arts for a person with military background will be much more easy than for me :rolleyes:

Trust me, military people find it as hard as everyone else lol.
Is there a reason you think martial arts would be hard for you? Is there anything we can help with? :)

Latest Discussions