Krav Maga...

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello. I was wondering if anyone has studied Krav Maga? What was your experience with it? I did some google searching last night and I read about it, but I didn't get much practical info on it like what type of things you learn and where you can learn it. Thanks in advance.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Krav maga (and other self defense kits in a box), are a direct product of the McDojo. McDojo rules says that there is no mimumum skill set, fitness, sparring apttitude or age for black belt. There fore most McDojo black belts fare kinda poor in the self defense areas (but they fell really good about themselves). So, now we just have added a nother program-right between Tiny Tots and Gynamstic kicking is the new Krav maga class, and no it's not the same weak a** system that does the flips and tricks its a super secret art (probably from the military) every move kills or cripples! Anyway class run once a week for 45 minutes. You learn far out things like "knees" and 'elbows"

Todd

OP
Satt

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh ok thanks. I didn't even know they had a belt system. Anywaw, I was just curous. I saw a book on it and almost bought it, but nevermind. He he.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey There,

I think a lot depends on the circumstance that brought that art into the school. I'm going to depart from my mostly neutral stance on things here, so please forgive my trespasses and try to bear with me while I get to my point because although some of the things that I'm saying are derogatory, they are ultimately positive, I believe.

I used to live in Los Angeles and a few people I knew trained at the headquarters on Olympic Blvd including my nephew's swimming coach, several parents from that team, and a coworker. The stuff they showed me was pretty good. I watched a few classes and it was pretty no-nonsense stuff. But it was taught in a very organized and methodical manner, much like a traditional art that applied a lot of contact sparring and scenario training. But that place was no McDojo. It was a pretty "real deal" type of place.

I've moved back home since then and I've observed classes here in Sacramento. They appear to be taught in much the same way minus some of the better scenario training and adding the fact that it's at a McDojo style school. As such, the quality of instruction and its applicability is a bit lower than the headquarters in LA. The drop in level is probably due to the fact that the head instructor is still most likely relatively new to the art or has to teach in a manner that conflicts the least amount possible with the robot karate that is already being taught there. But it still is a leg up on the robot mcdojo karate. I know that because I have relatives that sent their kids there, and I know adults that trained there before as well.

Newcomers to the martial arts can't tell good from bad. They have only their teachers, who may have been misled themselves, material resources like books, magazines, and the net, and word of mouth. The newcomer has to do a lot of practice (often in something bad) before they can really develop a sense of what is good. I tell my students who have no prior experience that they should do one style for a year exclusively and then see what they think after they have a bit of an idea about what's going on. Often the proprietors of mcdojos were students who persevered at their original style and became good according to the standards that they were held up to. They just never looked around outside their original system. Soon (all too soon really) they found themselves teaching class at their own school and they realize that there is something more out there and that it's worth exploring.

There is a lot of instruction out in the world that is accessible to us. We can stick with one style and get pretty good at it. But if you feel your style is lacking something, often exposure to other things will open your eyes. Often that exposure is embarrassing because you may find out that your art isn't as combat oriented as you may have previously thought. Israeli martial arts like Krav Maga are the flavor of the day for a lot of schools when it comes to that type of exploration. This is much like some FMA, BJJ, and CMA were in the past and are still. Some schools will most likely convert all the way over to their new style and others will adapt bits into a new hybrid style, and others will rediscover their old art and adhere to it.

Just because the Krav Maga may be taught at a mcdojo doesn't mean that it's not worth looking into and taking. It maybe the best stuff offered at that school and it may be the teacher's way of trying to rediscover the something that was lost when his/her original art was watered down. A talented and experienced martial artist can pick up in a few hours what may take a complete beginner in the martial arts months or even years to even begin to understand. Instruction may improve rapidly.

I would keep an open mind and look into this Krav Maga class if you're interested. It might be the thing for you. It might also be that thing that you sit in for a year while you get yourself a solid base of experience so that you can intelligently figure out where you want to go.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I received some basic Krav Maga instruction from a guy who used to teach unarmed combat in the Israeli Defense Forces. I found it to be a great complement to my training.

But, personally, I distrust civilian Krav Maga organizations and schools that are affiliated with them. So, use your own judgement.

Krav maga (and other self defense kits in a box), are a direct product of the McDojo.

Spoken exactly like someone who doesn't know the history of Krav Maga. It's been a part of the Israeli Defense Forces training since the IDF's creation.

There are least a couple of threads on Krav Maga in the Western MA section.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well said Bart!! I've done a little training in it, and from what I've seen, it was pretty good. Its definately very different from your average MA school, so I can see where someone may look at it with some confusion.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are many KM teachers out there. that being said, we can't look at one and get an accurate idea as to what its like unless we check out the others too! A few years back I attended a seminar put on by the guys from CA. The workout was very intense. I've also seen a tape of a KM inst. in NY and I can tell you that there certainly were differences.

KM reminds me alot of the BJJ craze. Not many people had heard about BJJ until the Gracies really brought it out into the open with the first UFC back in 93. Next thing you know, everybody is heading to CA. to learn BJJ! The same thing with KM.

Again, just like all arts, there are many different inst. Judging one will not give an accurate desc. of them all.

Mike

S

Spud

Like most martial arts it depends upon the instructor. My dojo offers both traditional Karate and separate Krav Maga classes. I'm taking a short break from Karate to train in Krav. I really enjoy Krav Maga and feel like it is making me a much more rounded and practical student. The big part of that is the instruction I receive from my Sensei.

I've also heard of inept teachers receiving their certificates, paying the licensing fees and giving lousy instruction.

It's not so much about the art/system/style as it is the experienced instructor who can teach. Krav Maga isn't the ultimate system despite how some market it, but with the right instructor, it can be enjoyable, challenging and practical.

Like any art visit the school, watch and participate in classes, talk with the instructor and students and ignore the color brochures....

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
KM like any system has good schools, good teachers and good things to offer the students who take the courses. The problem is finding the right mix for you.

I haven't taken KM but I have checked out their videos/DVDs referenced the one book I found on the subject and taught a wepaons defense class at a school that taught KM to broaden their horizons so to speak. And checked out their classes while waiting to teach mine. Plus the owner/instructor was a great guy.

My problem with KM is based on more the for lack of a better term "franchising" of the school or the material and that is where I think a lot of the Quality Control of the instructors comes into play. And maybe that is why there is a big difference in the way the classes are run or the programs might be set up.

However for teaching self defense related material the program is very good from what I have seen. For getting a good workout, the students who I worked with loved it (I wasn't teaching KM, but in the discussions with them about it this is what they expressed).

My biggest problem with their techniques was what seemed to me to be an reliance on closed fist striking (boxing mode) to the head/skull area during the execution of the drills. I've seen the same thing in the videos as well if I remember right.

I would say check it out. I don't agree with the statements about KM being from the McDojos.

For what it's worth
Mark

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Krav maga (and other self defense kits in a box), are a direct product of the McDojo. McDojo rules says that there is no mimumum skill set, fitness, sparring apttitude or age for black belt. There fore most McDojo black belts fare kinda poor in the self defense areas (but they fell really good about themselves). So, now we just have added a nother program-right between Tiny Tots and Gynamstic kicking is the new Krav maga class, and no it's not the same weak a** system that does the flips and tricks its a super secret art (probably from the military) every move kills or cripples! Anyway class run once a week for 45 minutes. You learn far out things like "knees" and 'elbows"
I don't know what experience you have with Krav Maga, but I do know that it was either minimal, none at all, or someone was trying to rip you off.

I just returned from a Krav Maga black belt test and it's far from a picnic. As far as practical self-defense goes, Krav Maga is one of the best.

~ Loki

Vitor

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello. I was wondering if anyone has studied Krav Maga? What was your experience with it? I did some google searching last night and I read about it, but I didn't get much practical info on it like what type of things you learn and where you can learn it. Thanks in advance.

Krav Maga is a very practical style of self-defense and is used by the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) to train soldiers and civilians to become efficient in a short amount of time.
Krav Maga is an aggressive, anti-terrorist survival system without rules. It deals with personal safety issues in the context of defending against both armed and unarmed attackers with only one objective: to eliminate the threat in the fastest way possible.
  • Counterattacking as soon as possible (or attacking preemptively).
  • Targeting attacks to the body’s most vulnerable points.
  • Maximum effectiveness and efficiency.
  • Maintaining awareness of surroundings.
Vitor Ferreira
Former Special Forces
Montreal Krav Maga Chief Instructor
mkmcanada.com

D

Dylan9d

Krav Maga is a very practical style of self-defense and is used by the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) to train soldiers and civilians to become efficient in a short amount of time.
Krav Maga is an aggressive, anti-terrorist survival system without rules. It deals with personal safety issues in the context of defending against both armed and unarmed attackers with only one objective: to eliminate the threat in the fastest way possible.
  • Counterattacking as soon as possible (or attacking preemptively).
  • Targeting attacks to the body’s most vulnerable points.
  • Maximum effectiveness and efficiency.
  • Maintaining awareness of surroundings.
Vitor Ferreira
Former Special Forces
Montreal Krav Maga Chief Instructor
mkmcanada.com

Again promo talk in a topic that over 10 years old.....

OP
Satt

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe how long it's been.

I have been off this forum for years and I popped back in since I started taking Krav Maga recently.

I forgot that I had posted this thread!

So far I am really enjoying it and I feel I am learning practical self-defense.

I wanted to take KM for years, but there weren't any KM dojos around until last year.

Anyway, just wanted to post this as a status update.

If anyone is interested, I will post later on my progress.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rock on, brother.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
More importantly, did your band write more songs that feature the cowbell?

Latest Discussions