Koryu kata ...

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Greetings all.
I was directed toward these clips on YouTube of Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto ryu. TSKSR is among the oldest still living traditions in Japan, having been officially formed in the mid 1400's. I thought these clips were very nice, so I thought I'd share them since I enjoyed them so much. ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had watched all but the first one before. Thanks for that one it is great. They have very precise movement during their two person waza's. Always a treat to watch two Katori Shinto Ryu practitioners performing.
Thanks again.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They have very precise movement during their two person waza's. Always a treat to watch two Katori Shinto Ryu practitioners performing.
Thanks again.

I've never seen this art performed---it's terrific, and so is the photographic quality of the video. Thanks, Paul.

OP
pgsmith

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My favorite to watch is the naginata kata. The quickness and control that they have of the naginata always fascinates me! :)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My favorite to watch is the naginata kata. The quickness and control that they have of the naginata always fascinates me! :)

I always wondered about that... the naginata never struck me as a very tractable weapon, because off all that weight in the blade at the end. Or maybe it isn't all that heavy...?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My experience is they can be pretty quick in the right hands. Plus if the individual using it knows how to maintain distance then it is indeed a very formidable tool.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My experience is they can be pretty quick in the right hands. Plus if the individual using it knows how to maintain distance then it is indeed a very formidable tool.

That's what I've heard about them---that they're real weapons and can do serious damage. Do you happen to have a link to a video showing them being used skillfully, Brian?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well the link above for the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu is pretty good. Here is a link from a Bujinkan Shihan :
That was taken from this thread : http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39516

Here is another link to competive naginata :
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6788739602612341438&q=naginata
Yet another link to a slightly higher quality of competitive naginata :
Here is a Tendo Ryu Naginata demo :
Chokugen Ryu Naginata

These are just a few files I pulled for you to look at.

For myself when using a naginata I try to control the distance and pick my opponent apart with the length of the weapon. I also generally try to keep the blade on the opponent and make it very difficult for them to do much. Small, simple movements that utilize the full length of the weapon is what I concentrate alot on. However, it is fun to throw in other possiblities.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well the link above for the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu is pretty good. Here is a link from a Bujinkan Shihan :
That was taken from this thread : http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39516

Here is another link to competive naginata :
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6788739602612341438&q=naginata
Yet another link to a slightly higher quality of competitive naginata :
Here is a Tendo Ryu Naginata demo :
Chokugen Ryu Naginata

These are just a few files I pulled for you to look at.

Hey Brian, you're a prince, man! This is terrific---had no clue there was naginata in video clips out there. I've read about nagintata as a woman's weapon in stuff by Draeger, but with MAs, one picture (or video, more likely) is worth ten thousand words...

For myself when using a naginata I try to control the distance and pick my opponent apart with the length of the weapon.

I didn't know you did naginata. Wow... I had the impression it was dying art---guess not.

I also generally try to keep the blade on the opponent and make it very difficult for them to do much. Small, simple movements that utilize the full length of the weapon is what I concentrate alot on. However, it is fun to throw in other possiblities.[/QUOTE]

I imagine it to be a combination of bo-staff and spear techniques... with that wicked edge thrown in. This is terrific---thanks so much.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian---have already posted you abt the videos but hadn't looked at them at that point. Have been through them now---great stuff, but the naginata was something else. Naginata/naginata was cool, like extra-long bo combat, but the Chokugen was something else... the guy with the bokken just wasn't getting anywhere near the naginataka. It was almost funny... I begin to see how the naginata has this formidable reputation. Length matters, apparently. I've heard that toward the end of his fighting career Musashi Miyamoto went in for extra long bokken in place of the convention (and much shorter) katanas of conventional samurai, and watching that bokken/naginata contest you can see why.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am glad you enjoyed the videos and got to see some different interpretations with the naginata. Definately it is fun to work with and see the different applications that can happen with it.
icon10.gif

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian---beautiful footage---especially the first one---Osake's speed with the katana is very impressive, especially considering that he's seated. Makes such a difference that you can see this stuff (and often with very good production quality) now instead of just having access to descriptions... Isn't the Web great?!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian---beautiful footage---especially the first one---Osake's speed with the katana is very impressive, especially considering that he's seated. Makes such a difference that you can see this stuff (and often with very good production quality) now instead of just having access to descriptions... Isn't the Web great?!

Yes the internet is simply fantastic and with different sites like googlevideo, youtube and yahoovideo you can find lots of good video clips that were never before available.
icon14.gif