Korean for taekwondo

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My new taekwondo school is much more interested in teaching the Korean language for various techniques etc... Than my old one. Anyone recommend some good websites where I can do a bit of research?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My new taekwondo school is much more interested in teaching the Korean language for various techniques etc... Than my old one. Anyone recommend some good websites where I can do a bit of research?
Your instructor. You are going to find that different schools use different Korean terms for the same thing. Sometimes the different words are essentially synonyms, sometimes they're simply being used incorrectly. So books and such are of limited use.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Before saying this, let me say I 100% agree with @Dirty Dog, your instructor is the right person to ask as terminology even in Korean is not 100% standardised.

I would say for ITF (as your signature says you're ITF) then one of General Choi's encyclopaedias is like the authoritative source. You can find these online (for purchase and in PDF form, but I don't know if the copyright has expired on the works yet).

For anyone else coming to this, that's not ITF - the official terminology from Kukkiwon is at http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/kwinc/swf/Technical_Terminology_ENG.pdf