Koan

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I see two lessons from the Koan.

1) The path never truely ends, as there is always another way to go from every percieved block. As others have said, the student could not see that the journey continued when he reached the edge of the cliff.

2) Don't search for the path, let the path guide you and savor what it has to offer. When the student reached the top of the mountain, his concern was that there was no where left to go. He had not truely reflected on his travels, only that his options were exhausted. The master was able to remind the student to think of the trip, not just the destination once you arrive there.

Nevada_MO_Guy

Green Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
the mountain's highest point.
Moral of the story is there isn't much air at the top of a mountain.

Or,
I suppose it could be the "Every End has a Beginning and Every Beginning has a End" thing. :)

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Carol Kaur - dont feel stupid, i get that all the time. Most people do, the rest are geniuses or fakers.

As for the story::idunno: I liked it, it was beautiful, but I still didn't get it.
Oh, well. Maybe someday when I turn in to a master like th guy in the story, I'll get it.
- Until then...

OP
OnlyAnEgg

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No one should feel stupid. That is not the point at all!

There have been many excellent responses to this post and I am honored to be among you all!

There is no real answer. As has been mentioned, it will mean something different to everyone and that's absolutely correct. It can also mean nothing. That, too, is correct.

Thank you all :)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's one.... ;)

Yesterday afternoon, a gentleman paid a visit to the deluded old man. After saluting to each other and just before sipping the first cup of green tea, the gentleman asked a question like this:
- What is a koan and what for is it, sir?
- It is like a candy handed out to make a baby who is crying to stop it.
- Then what for is it after the baby aready stops crying?
- Just put it aside.
- And what would you tell the baby when he is no longer crying?
- Just tell him do not get hurt and cry again.
- That's wonderful, sir!
- You are a crying baby, aren't you?

ChonTri

Latest Discussions