Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trained and Certified in:

• Jeet Kune Do
  • Judo (Green Belt)
  • Tekken Ryu Jujutsu (Green Belt)
  • Ninjitsu
  • Multiple types of Combatives
  • The Self Defense Training System (Professional Instructor)
  • Wing Chun Kung Fu (Level 4 Student, Level 3 Instructor)
  • Pressure Point Defensive Tactics (International Coach)
  • Open Circle Fighting Method (Coach)
  • WW3 Combatives (Creator)
  • :rolleyes:
rolling.gif

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah… hmm… "ninjitsu"… "Tekken Ryu"… er…

I mean, my issue is even beyond the idea of fluffed up resume's (although I like that he's kept his judo rank as "green belt", rather than falsely inflate it), and more about the sheer lack of effective mechanics and understanding of combative principles…

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Yeah… hmm… "ninjitsu"… "Tekken Ryu"… er…

I mean, my issue is even beyond the idea of fluffed up resume's (although I like that he's kept his judo rank as "green belt", rather than falsely inflate it), and more about the sheer lack of effective mechanics and understanding of combative principles…

To be fair, Tekken ryu is what Carl Cestari called his combination of WWII combatives, judo, boxing and karate-along with some other stuff-and it is very effective for how it was intended to be used......still.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I haven't been overly impressed with anything I've seen of Tekken Ryu… although that has dominantly been beginners (I do note, though, suffering from the same mechanical issues I see in Mr Landry's demonstration clip on the page I linked), as well as glowing but, well, skewed write ups by interested parties… one saying that "like Judo and Tae Kwon Do before it, Tekken Ryu Jujutsu will be the only choice for people wanting truth in their martial arts"… I hardly know where to start with that statement, honestly… and such things don't endear me to look much further.

I know Cestari's rep, but haven't seen much that got me hot under the collar, if you know what I mean…

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I haven't been overly impressed with anything I've seen of Tekken Ryu… although that has dominantly been beginners (I do note, though, suffering from the same mechanical issues I see in Mr Landry's demonstration clip on the page I linked), as well as glowing but, well, skewed write ups by interested parties… one saying that "like Judo and Tae Kwon Do before it, Tekken Ryu Jujutsu will be the only choice for people wanting truth in their martial arts"… I hardly know where to start with that statement, honestly… and such things don't endear me to look much further.

I know Cestari's rep, but haven't seen much that got me hot under the collar, if you know what I mean…

Carl was the real deal-knew him and Charlie Nelson back in NY...a bazillion years ago....can't say much for what Damian Ross has done with all that stuff since then, as far as marketing goes, but the material itself and the practice methods were pretty solid, if somewhat eclectic and not exactly principle driven. An important thing to remember when viewing Carl on video (and don't waste too much time with anything else) is that he was already a very sick man when most of those videos were being made: he was my age, and in those videos he looks to be in his late fifties or early sixties, when he was in his mid to late forties....

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
You want us to study the art of jamming a knife in as fast as possible, and a 2-handed icepick grip?

If that's the case, i declare myself the grandmaster of Thug-Ra-Te. Born on the streets of Collingwood, cultivated in the dojo by a team of uni dropouts, we bring you the cutting edge of modern combatives. For the low, low price of $60 (+$25 delivery), we'd be happy to provide you with a black and white e-book that will teach you the cutting edge of self defense in ***7 days*** or less! Order now, and receive the Domino's Pizza coupons i got with my last order.

PREVIEW:
maxresdefault.jpg

(this image is 'labeled for reuse' on google images)

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh come on, now. Stop being such cynics. How can you pass up instruction which has glowing testimonials such as this:
WW3 website said:
“Your Customer’s Testimonial Title Here”

person.png
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce est eros, commodo quis consequat vitae, lobortis in massa. In ut consequat purus.

Nullam vitae odio quam, id tempus ligula. Integer eget quam erat, non viverra sem. Vivamus laoreet accumsan ante sit amet pharetra.

– John Doe
www.johndoe.com

On a more serious note, I went through Mr. Landry's website and watched his publically available videos.

Positives
His bio appears to be clear and honest (as compared to what I often see on promotional websites of that sort). He explains exactly how long he studied each of his arts (except "ninjitsu") and under who and what ranks he received, and those ranks seem believable for the time he studied them.

From watching the videos, he does appear to have some actual skill and knowledge. Not enough that I would recommend he create his own system or sell instructional videos for $197, but I've seen worse instructors out there. I'd say that what he demonstrates seems in line with the training background he has listed in his bio.

Even though the website is filled with promotional BS, the actual videos seem to be an honest attempt to teach his system, with no filler talking about how his techniques are the super-deadliest things out there.

In his short time on this forum he has so far participated in good faith and has not tried to push the sales pitch that his own website is loaded with.

Negatives
Way too much sales puffery on the website, especially for someone whose skillset is not yet advanced enough to back it up.

A fair amount of what is shown in the videos has what I would consider to be significant technical flaws of one sort or another. For an intermediate/advanced-intermediate level student (which is what I would consider Mr. Landry to be), that's not so bad. For videos that are purportedly offering instruction I have to be more critical.

Leaving aside any technical flaws in the actual material, the pedagogy needs work. Time spent preparing, planning, and polishing a lesson plan would be a good investment if Mr. Landry is hoping to sell instructional material professionally.

To Mr. Landry - I'm sorry if these responses come across as harsh. Chris, Elder, and I have been doing martial arts for a long time - longer than you've been alive. That's enough to develop some exacting standards which lead to a bit of a negative reaction to the kind of sales puffery you have front and center on your website. Also - the knife work might not have been your best bet for sharing an introductory video. I don't get the impression that's one of your strong areas.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, that was interesting...
From an ABC perspective I can see some potential in a few of the moves as presented and that would be 'if' the practitioner already had a least a strong intermediate level of experience in a striking art. (understanding of power development, angles, range, timining, etc...)

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I always thought the point(pun intended) of ice pick grip was either for use as an overhead strike or stabbing like a sewing machine. Either way, the knife leads. From what I could see in the video(only watched part of the first), he is punching with a vertical fist with a blade protruding from the bottom of the fist.

OP
WW3 Combatives

WW3 Combatives

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The videos above are for effective fighting with a knife. Knife fighting itself has become to flashy and complicated. Holding a knife in your hand either regular grip or ice pick grip and squeezing hard is step one. Then you just need to fight as hard and as effectively as you know how. If you do fancy movements because you think you are cool, you will just lose. Punch, cut, rip, tare and stab. That is real knife fighting, nothing fancy just straight forward and brutal. Nothing nice about a knife in a fight.

These videos are for combative's which is fighting for your life. There is a difference between combat and a martial art that you train in for self development and discipline. Sure fancy movements are fun to train, but they just won't work for real.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Please fill me with your wisdom...

:rolleyes: Really?

How about this: head over to one of the other sections and introduce yourself, fill us in with a little background on who you are.

You've made at least sx posts on this forum without introducing yourself? Kind of like walking into a room full of people who've known each other and have been having a conversation for more than ten years, and just interrupting without any introduction-especially when try to lay down your own wisdom. Just kinda weird and rude.

Instead of just posting the videos, add some introduction and solicit constructive criticism like @Tony Dismukes '

Use better lighting.

I'm gonna assume that among your many videos is one on knife-carry and opening techniques, rather than just this instruction: "Practice opening it." You might reference that video in this particular lesson......though I'm betting my assumption is false.

Some reference to the legalities of knife carry in various jurisdictions would be prudent on your part, at the very least to avoid being included in litigation or criminal action if one of your customers.....er....students follows your instruction and winds up in court. That folder you're pulling out of your pocket? Illegal to carry in California, and, depending on how it's carried, a concealed weapon in New Mexico.

Use a bigger, easier to see (more "combative?"
rolling.gif
) knife for demonstration on video.

Demonstrate with a partner or dummy for context.

At some point, you make a statement about stabs versus cuts-this demonstrates a distinct misunderstanding about knife combat: most people who are stabbed are unaware of it at first-they usually report feeling as though they were punched. @Brian R. VanCise posted a video a while back of a man in Russia who was stabbed outside a club, went on to subdue his attacker, and then died.

Here's my introduction on this forum, from 11 (!)years ago:Hello from a lurker

Here's a post I made about carrying knives: So, You Want To Carry A Knife For Self-Defense

Ya want wisdom? Here ya go: ask questions, spend a little more time on the planet asking questions. Get scars. Live to tell about it.
rolling.gif

Latest Discussions