KM - online schools - beginner

Brad118

White Belt
Reaction score
I am a ‘beginner’ in Krav. I joined an online school a short time ago that has belt level testing and offers a path to black belt. You have to test in person for the higher level belts. I’m currently working on an ‘orange belt’.

My brother signed up with me, so I initially had a training partner. The online format didn’t work for him, so he switched to training in person in TSD/kenpo with his kids.

So, I am currently training alone. I’m learning Krav basically to avoid being a victim with the world getting so crazy. I’m a dad that just wants to have skills to defend his family should the need arise. In doing some research, I’ve found that the IKMA seems to be a school that has standards and some rigor.

I’ve been happy with my current online instructors and am learning the basics. I also like the idea of obtaining certifications and belts, but ultimately just want to have a skill set to protect myself and my family.

I’m set to have to re-up my membership at the current school and am wondering if I should switch to the IKMA online program, which offers ‘Kravist’ level certifications.

I live in a small Midwestern city that has no KM schools within 2 hours driving distance. I’d love to have an IKMA studio nearby where I could invest the time and practice in attaining belts. Unfortunately that’s not available here. So, I’m currently seeking a training partner and wondering if I should switch schools.

I have conflicting goals. I’d love to get belt and training certification to perhaps in a decade bring KM to my hometown. At the same time, I really am most interested in getting solid training and no McDojo stuff. My MMA buddy keeps telling me ‘you don’t learn how to fight watching your phone.’ I’’d love to have pressure testing, etc., but just not in the cards due to geography.

My current instructor was trained under Levine, I think was the name.

Long winded way of getting to the question. Should I stay with the current school that offers the ability to get to ‘black belt’ in 3.5 years, or do IKMA and get the gold standard training and forget about belts? Goal 1 is to be able to defend myself. Goal 2 would be to bring Krav home, since no one offers it around here.

We have a solid BJJ studio here, which has the rigor I would like to see in a Krav school. Problem is I’m not interested in fighting as a sport, I just want to be held to rigorous standards and know how to handle myself in bad situations.

If only there were a IKMA studio nearby….

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see why you need to worry about getting a black belt, if your concern is self-defense.

I also don't see why you have to stick with krav maga, when you seem aware it's less effective to learn online, without a training partner, and you have other options (at the very least kenpo-which is a sd focused art, MMA and BJJ which both normally do pressure testing).

OP
B

Brad118

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't see why you need to worry about getting a black belt, if your concern is self-defense.

I also don't see why you have to stick with krav maga, when you seem aware it's less effective to learn online, without a training partner, and you have other options (at the very least kenpo-which is a sd focused art, MMA and BJJ which both normally do pressure testing).
For some reason I’m just really interested in Krav for it’s ‘real world’ application, as that’s all I want to know how to fight for. Would prefer not to fight ever, honestly.

Grappling doesn’t appeal all that much to me, though I know most fights go to the ground and you need to know your way around in that regard. I’ve thought about doing the IKMA online to get good solid street fighting training and then joining BJJ.

The studio my brother is at has a little of the money making confidence vibe.

The MMA studio here is legit, but I got a bad taste from the instructor, as apparently I was showing up on his competitive fighter training nights, and I’d get sent off to some pads while he trained his ‘guys.’ Never once was I told to come a different night with more of the beginners.

Anyway, I appreciate the advice.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For some reason I’m just really interested in Krav for it’s ‘real world’ application, as that’s all I want to know how to fight for. Would prefer not to fight ever, honestly.

Grappling doesn’t appeal all that much to me, though I know most fights go to the ground and you need to know your way around in that regard. I’ve thought about doing the IKMA online to get good solid street fighting training and then joining BJJ.

The studio my brother is at has a little of the money making confidence vibe.

The MMA studio here is legit, but I got a bad taste from the instructor, as apparently I was showing up on his competitive fighter training nights, and I’d get sent off to some pads while he trained his ‘guys.’ Never once was I told to come a different night with more of the beginners.

Anyway, I appreciate the advice.
You would get more real world application going somewhere in person; learning online regardless of the style is not getting you real world application, or 'good solid street fighting training'.

Mcdojo's are definitely a thing, but just because it's a business focused on money doesn't mean that they're a mcdojo (doesn't mean they're not though-your instincts could be right on point there).

Regarding the MMA studio, do they advertise that night/have it in their schedule as a competitive fighter night, and have other dates listed for beginners? If so, while he could have communicated better, those schedules exist for a reason. If not, I'd probably have the same mindset of you-you're not going there to get pushed to the side, you're going there to learn.

Also, where do you live? Some of us may know a good place in that area or be able to find one.

OP
B

Brad118

White Belt
Reaction score
You would get more real world application going somewhere in person; learning online regardless of the style is not getting you real world application, or 'good solid street fighting training'.

Mcdojo's are definitely a thing, but just because it's a business focused on money doesn't mean that they're a mcdojo (doesn't mean they're not though-your instincts could be right on point there).

Regarding the MMA studio, do they advertise that night/have it in their schedule as a competitive fighter night, and have other dates listed for beginners? If so, while he could have communicated better, those schedules exist for a reason. If not, I'd probably have the same mindset of you-you're not going there to get pushed to the side, you're going there to learn.

Also, where do you live? Some of us may know a good place in that area or be able to find one.
It wasn’t advertised as a fighter training night. My friend who competitively fights from time to time told me that Friday nights were his competitive fighter nights. It made sense after I discontinued going.

I live in Dubuque, Iowa.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It wasn’t advertised as a fighter training night. My friend who competitively fights from time to time told me that Friday nights were his competitive fighter nights. It made sense after I discontinued going.

I live in Dubuque, Iowa.
That makes sense. Yeah I would expect them to make that clear at some point, probably wouldn't go back there myself after that experience. I don't know anything around you, unforutnately, but maybe someone else will.

I get the feeling this is the school that you tried: Home, but it's the only one in the area that looks particularly promising to me. Given your goals, I would try to go to their Monday JKD/Kali class, and the Wednesday Level 1 Muay Thai class. I'm a bit biased but those arts seem to be pretty realistic for self defense.

OP
B

Brad118

White Belt
Reaction score
That makes sense. Yeah I would expect them to make that clear at some point, probably wouldn't go back there myself after that experience. I don't know anything around you, unforutnately, but maybe someone else will.

I get the feeling this is the school that you tried: Home, but it's the only one in the area that looks particularly promising to me. Given your goals, I would try to go to their Monday JKD/Kali class, and the Wednesday Level 1 Muay Thai class. I'm a bit biased but those arts seem to be pretty realistic for self defense.
It was the place. It was a few years ago. I’m willing to give it a try again. I probably could’ve been more assertive in asking the right questions.

I’ll probably finish my current membership in Krav and then go there again, unless some Kravists on here have other advice. I really like that BJJ has solid quality control and belt rankings to strive for. I want to do martial arts for self-defense, but having goals to shoot for (ie belts, etc.) help motivate me. Since I’m not training to compete, I lose that incentive. The linked group will train me well, I know, but would like goals. Who knows, maybe they have a way to measure and motivate advancement/improvement.

Thanks for the tips, they’ve definitely been helpful in broadening my perspective on things.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
There seems to be a JKD/Muay Thai/Kali school relatively local to you.

Dubuque Martial Arts Group​

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doing MMA will make you better at Krav than doing krav because of the rigorous standard.

Basically you will need to learn how fighting works. Then learn how to make Krav work in that context.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a ‘beginner’ in Krav. I joined an online school a short time ago that has belt level testing and offers a path to black belt. You have to test in person for the higher level belts. I’m currently working on an ‘orange belt’.
forget online courses, especially "Black belt " ones. wrestling is popular in the US did you not develop some skills in high school? being honest that with boxing is ok for most people but with the Kali/escrima you´ll get some weapon training. so i definetly agree with Monkey turned wolf.
JKD is not bad if ...if the instructor has real experience.