Killer Whales Got Karate!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ate-chop-deadly-tactic-used-orcas-sharks.html

These incredible pictures demonstrate how orca whales use a 'karate chop' to stun and then finish off killer sharks.
In a rare battle of beasts these images show how several populations of skilled killer whales around the world have learned how to overcome huge sharks, that most animals give a wide berth.

Using a combination of superior brain power and brute force, the highly-intelligent orcas are able to catch and eat what many think of as the ocean's top predators.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Awesome... while I wouldn't classify a Mako shark as a "killer" (reading that as meaning a typical man eater) they are very proficient predators in their own right and incredibly fast fish... able to catch marlin and swordfish easily.
These Orcas definitely showing their intelligence level with this particular method of hunting. Proving once again that there is so much that we don't know about these marvelous creatures.

Great find Bill, thanks for sharing.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I saw that on tv the other night. Go Orcas! I think this qualifies them as the ocean's apex predators.

Latest Discussions